Print Thread
hunters saftey card/ course?? #1159538 01/09/10 02:32 AM
T
Texas Proud Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I had to make a copy of the original card for a lifetime license a few years ago. I don't understand why they don't mark the card or the license that I have one?

I was born after 9/1/71 and know the rules that you MUST have a card or a copy of the card on you while hunting. I think this is redundant for anyone that has a license. I think they should make it mandatory for the seller to view the card and mark the license that you have one and it is legit.

My first ever hunt here in Texas as a resident w/ a lifetime license I was checked by a GW. I didn't have the card or a copy w/ me at the time. He asked if I had one and I said yes. He also asked if I could find it and I said yes. I told him that I had to mail it in to get the lifetime license and thought that the card would prove that. He said make a copy and carry it at ALL times. I got off w/ a verbal warning then.

I made a copy and have been checked numerous times while waterfowl hunting. Never had a problem w/ a copy. Just wondering why I needed to send the original if IT doesn't allow me to not have it in possession while in the field?

When do you think is the best time for a youth hunter to take the course?

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Texas Proud] #1159760 01/09/10 03:40 AM
K
klepdo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
I still have my original card I was issued back in 1990 and my teachers social security number is his instructor ID number. How crazy is that.

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: klepdo] #1159777 01/09/10 03:49 AM
Big Tony Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I wish I knew where I could take the course. My wife and I are taking a trip to Wyoming and Montana this fall. Anybody here do the course in the Ft Worth / Granbury / Cleburne area?

"A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be." -Fred Bear
Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Big Tony] #1159967 01/09/10 05:09 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
u can get another card for free online.... u dont have to keeep saving urs and making copies of it

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Closed Traverse] #1160064 01/09/10 05:56 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The HE # should print on your hunting license each year so you never need the card. Email TPWD and ask why yours doesn't. Mine always has. Might mean your TX DL# is wrong in the safety database so no match when the license is printed.

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Closed Traverse] #1161389 01/10/10 12:43 AM
T
Texas Proud Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Brandon A
u can get another card for free online.... u dont have to keeep saving urs and making copies of it

I took it out of state and they never did keep records of it. They always said you needed to take the HSC, but they never asked for it when you bought your license.

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Txduckman] #1161407 01/10/10 12:51 AM
T
Texas Proud Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
The HE # should print on your hunting license each year so you never need the card. Email TPWD and ask why yours doesn't. Mine always has. Might mean your TX DL# is wrong in the safety database so no match when the license is printed.

I took it out of state and there is no number on the card. It is pretty simple kind of card w/ my name on it and the PAGC officers signature (stamped signature). I was told by the GW that I still needed to display the card even if it on the liftetime license card.

I've always wondered if and when they might move the date requirement to a no so old of a year. Ya know we are getting pretty darn old and most of us have hunted over 25yrs now. It just seems redundant that they "require" you to take the card and never ask for it to buy a license. I guess this is where the GW checking you out is gonna get some undivided attention.

BTW, if you have one I'd recommend taking w/ you to prevent any problems in the future. I know of a few guys that waterfowl hutned w/ us and got checked. They didn't have the card and stated "they couldn't find it if they needed to". Got them a fine on the spot. Only way to get to of the fine was to find the card and present it to the officer within 10 days.

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Txduckman] #1162520 01/10/10 05:34 PM
B
BrianS Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
The game warden in Baylor County said you have to have the card or a copy of it. My license has my HE number printed but he still says he has to see th card makes no since to me though.

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: BrianS] #1162526 01/10/10 05:39 PM
T
Texas Proud Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Smith611
The game warden in Baylor County said you have to have the card or a copy of it. My license has my HE number printed but he still says he has to see th card makes no since to me though.

It states in the hunting guide under requlations that the card "must" be present. Some GW may let it slide, but I'm willing most will NOT.

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Texas Proud] #1162642 01/10/10 06:37 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Proud

It states in the hunting guide under requlations that the card "must" be present. Some GW may let it slide, but I'm willing most will NOT.

Where does it state the card must be physically present if you have the HE# on the license? Send linky. The book states you must show proof, that is it, which is the HE# on the license. I have been checked by 3 game wardens and all you need is the HE# on the license. One guy got a ticket for it b/c it wasn't on his license but all of ours was. What is the point of printing it on the license if it doesn't count??? hammer

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/faq/learning/hunter_education/index.phtml#card

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Txduckman] #1162654 01/10/10 06:41 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
so from what i understand, if u do not have the course and u go hunting and are caught u have 90 days to take the course in order to dismiss the ticket, so if u have taken the course, but dont have the card, how does the ticket work then???? do u have to go show ur card within two weeks to someone or something?

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Closed Traverse] #1163407 01/11/10 12:31 AM
B
BrianS Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Well my brother in law got his dropped by the judge after he had the state of ARkansas send proof of his HE class

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Txduckman] #1163456 01/11/10 12:52 AM
T
Texas Proud Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Txduckman

Where does it state the card must be physically present if you have the HE# on the license? Send linky. The book states you must show proof, that is it, which is the HE# on the license. I have been checked by 3 game wardens and all you need is the HE# on the license. One guy got a ticket for it b/c it wasn't on his license but all of ours was. What is the point of printing it on the license if it doesn't count??? hammer

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/faq/learning/hunter_education/index.phtml#card

Apparently proof is having the copy in hand or the GW's in your area aren't as strick.

It is one interpretation over another. I have read in the past booklets back to '06 or something about having a card or copy in hand. It seems like they relaxed that for '09-'10 season. Not a big deal to me since I don't have a number on my card.

Just wondering if they consider an old drivers license proof of who I am even if it is expired?

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Texas Proud] #1163574 01/11/10 01:36 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I was stopped in '03, 06, & '07 and they were very strict considering a guy got a ticket for it we were with. In fact, two of those times someone got a ticket for it since it wasn't on there license.

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Txduckman] #1163648 01/11/10 01:55 AM
T
Texas Proud Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
'06, '07 and '08 I was checked while waterfowl hunting. They all asked for the card. I now just hand them the HS card w/ the hunting license and DL w/o having them ask me anymore.

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: klepdo] #1164449 01/11/10 03:37 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: klepdo
I still have my original card I was issued back in 1990 and my teachers social security number is his instructor ID number. How crazy is that.
I have my original from 1977 or 78. The number on the card is 0130.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #1164728 01/11/10 05:44 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Me too - There is only a student number on my card and instructor number - I got mine in '79. But my license has an HE#, not sure where that number came from though...

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: DoubleB20] #1165050 01/11/10 07:51 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
I think there are two ways to write the citation (which serves as the complaint for a class C)... one is "failure to provide proof" and one is "no hunter safety course". If they write it for the latter, and you can provide proof to the judge, you're ok. If you (or him) are a jerk.... they can write it for "failure to provide proof" and if you didn't have it when he asked for it you are guilty... that's the way a GW explained it to us one time.

And it's the same for insurance when you are driving...

Re: hunters saftey card/ course?? [Re: Texas Proud] #1175564 01/16/10 04:23 AM
S
swimbait Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
When do you think is the best time for a youth hunter to take the course?

Any chance you get will be the best time (IMO).

I've been trying to get my son signed up at our local Academy and they've been booked up.
We're gonna gamble this Sat and show up hoping thre's a no-show and we can then fill the void.

However, talked to a GW today and they state a youth under 17 does not require a HE cert until they are 17, then by law, they must have one.

Only stipulation is that they (TPWD) prefer the youth hunts with an adult.

The youth are still required to obtain a hunting license and use their tags when harvesting game.

I myself plan to take the course (not required by age) because there is always something we can learn (ore relearn).

kp

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide