Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Effect of the Full Moon? #115896 12/01/06 11:41 PM
HOF Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Noticed on my way in this afternoon the full moon was already high in the sky. My grandfather always told me the full moon would mean the deer would feed all night and morning hunt would be tougher. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Effect of the Full Moon? [Re: HOF] #115897 12/02/06 12:37 AM
P
Papa_Q Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
I've been watching the moon phases and trying to make sense of it this year. You can get some info at http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon, and also on other sites. I started checking into it because I have heard the same thing that your grandfather told you. I was looking at some Texas Trophy Hunter magizines where people post their pictures, and a lot of bruisers are shot during a full moon. I have seen the most deer this year when the moon is going up from a half moon to a full moon, and then back down to a half moon. Idon't know if there is any reason why, but that's what I've noticed this year.

Q
Re: Effect of the Full Moon? [Re: Papa_Q] #115898 12/02/06 12:40 AM
S
Skybuster05 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Prob high fence. No offence intended

Re: Effect of the Full Moon? [Re: HOF] #115899 12/02/06 12:43 AM
K
kyle_tx Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
Im sure you will hear lots of theories on this one. I dont like hunting the full moon. I rarely have good luck durig these times. Like you, I was also taught that deer will move at night. We have been documenting deer hunts for a while and have found the best time to hunt is within 2 days before or after the quarters. (1st and last) On the flip side, if you look at feeding charts and best times to hunt/fish you'll notice that the best times of the month are during the full moon. This has always baffled me. The only thing Ive succesfully done during a full moon is night fishing. I was also taught that the during the full moon the deer will also move in the middle of the day. I have tried hunting mid afternoon and seen lots of deer. In the future if I hunt during a full moon I should just forget about morn and evening hunts and concenrate on the middle of the day. Easy to say but in reality I would feel like I may be missing something if I only hunted the middle of the day. Just my .02

Re: Effect of the Full Moon? [Re: kyle_tx] #115900 12/02/06 12:55 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've hunted a lot of years and I tend to believe that deer move all night on the full moon.

I've killed some big bucks early in the a.m. when the bucks were out on the oat patch all night with the full moon, and were headed back toward their bedding areas.

I just follow the rule that you hunt when you can, and don't worry about when they are supposed to move according to all the magazine article experts.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Effect of the Full Moon? [Re: Jimbo] #115901 12/02/06 03:00 PM
W
wileyporker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Wouldn't very low temperatures have an adverse impact on the movement of deer, full moon or not?

Re: Effect of the Full Moon? [Re: wileyporker] #115902 12/02/06 10:46 PM
L
lnester Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Very low temps actually stimulate deer movement. They have tougher hides than humans!

And, IMO, deer will stay nocturnal and feed at night when there's a clear night with a full moon. There's no reason to come into feeders or show themselves during the day when they can see just as well at night. I don't believe any of those "prime hunting" charts published in the magazines. I think that's just hunter witchcraft to try make themselves look like they know something that we don't.

Re: Effect of the Full Moon? [Re: lnester] #115903 12/03/06 12:10 AM
C
crazyal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I was just hunting yesterday evening I saw few deer and I saw them closer to dark then normal I was raised hearing the same thing about them moving at night we still hunt during that time a lot because it is when we can get out.

Re: Effect of the Full Moon? [Re: crazyal] #115904 12/03/06 03:07 AM
HOF Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
The moon is full and as bright as it gets tonight. I had does in my scope 30 minutes after dard the moon was is so bright. I also walked out to the truck without a flashlight and could see fine. On my way home tonight I saw more deer out feeding along the roads than I've ever seen.

I really think there's something to what grandpa told me. In a full moon I believe the deer feed more than normal overnight and move less the next day just like we do after a big meal. We'll still move around just not as much. Keep the thoughts coming, I like to learn.

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Effect of the Full Moon? [Re: HOF] #115905 12/03/06 09:06 PM
S
SplitTimeHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
IMO. During the rut it don't matter. Get out there and hunt. The mature bucks ALWAYS move at night, year round. No matter how much moon is up there. So even when there is a full moon, your chances of seeing a real mature buck are the same. SLIM to none. Theres only one thing that'll bring them out during the day. Them slick heads. All-in-all you might see less deer during hunting hours, while there is a full moon, because the younger deer will feed all night, if there is something to eat. Thats why I corn very little during this period.

Re: Effect of the Full Moon? [Re: SplitTimeHunter] #115906 12/04/06 10:43 PM
L
LuckyDucker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I took one of my best deer (11 pt) in East Texas during a full moon. I had heard that they move later in the day, so I decided to sleep in that morning. I got in my climbing stand around 10:30am and he came out to work his scrap and was on the ground by 11:15am.

I've always hunted trails/scraps and have never hunted over a feeder, so I don't know if it was just my lucky day or what.

Re: Effect of the Full Moon? [Re: LuckyDucker] #115907 12/05/06 03:39 PM
1-Paper-boy Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
The acorns are gone(sour),several freezes, I hunt between Kerville and Bandera but deer movement is slow, we have two blinds and feeders,last year I had 6-10 deer waiting for the feeder to throw, Friday my dad and nephew went for the day it was 20 degrees in the morning they both seen only a couple in the morning and the evening,I usually work 6 day weeks so I passed on going sat. nite and sunday morning becuse of what they seen and the full moon,They go back monday morning and my nephew shoots a big 8-pointer out of my blind with 2 other bucks at the feeder with 3 or 4 does
,they went to get the deer and seen a axis buck chasing a doe. Go when you can you never know whats going to walk out!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide