Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: pyledriver] #114191 12/27/06 12:55 AM
I
iluv2hunt Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
I am assuming when the poacher puts a bag over the camera, the camera takes a picture. Most game cameras time stamp the pisture. I would see if I could put together a patten off the time stamp on the pic's as to when they are coming. Just a thought. I hope you catch the sorry astards.

8 years ago me and my brothers got a lease in the very north east corner of Young county just west of Olney. It was our 1st year on the lease. We fixed up an old barn into a real nice cabin with bunks, cabniets, and lighting. We suspected poaching as we found a .270 round in one of the blinds and none of us own a .270. To make a long story short, one of the star Olney Football players, who happened to be the son of the man we were leasing from, decided to have a party in our cabin on Christmas night. My brother Damon decided to head out for the lease on that evening, stay the night and hunt the next day. Damon pulled into the place about 8:00 PM and he said there were about 25 trucks and cars at our cabin. It was most of the Olney football team gettin drunk and having sex with the cheerleaders and such in our cabin! My brother called me and I called the land owner and they took care of it. My brothers are still on that lease and they still suspect poaching is still going on.

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: iluv2hunt] #114192 12/27/06 01:32 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Just a question, when did they move Olney?

Last time I looked, Olney was on the western side of the county, just south of the Young/Archer county line.

Just curious.

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: pyledriver] #114193 12/27/06 01:40 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
It is my understanding that only a peace officer has the right to hold anybody against their will. If you restrain another person, in any way, until the cops arrive, the cop will most likely be used as a witness against you in a civil lawsuit.

I guess you have to make up your mind whether they constitute a threat and then take whatever action you feel is defensible in a court of law and/or with your conscience.

Coming up on an armed person who is committing an illegal act scares me. If they had good sense or high moral standards they wouldn't be thieves. It's only happened to me once in 25+ years of land ownership and, Thank God, I didn't play John Wayne.

I once read, "All the wildlife ever bred isn't worth the price of one man dead". Think it over.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: Crazyhorse] #114194 12/27/06 02:42 AM
I
iluv2hunt Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
Quote:

Just a question, when did they move Olney?

Last time I looked, Olney was on the western side of the county, just south of the Young/Archer county line.

Just curious.

They didn't move Olney. That was an error on my part. I meant to say North Western corner of Young County. There, does that make you feel better?

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: Dave Davidson] #114195 12/27/06 02:46 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Quote:

It is my understanding that only a peace officer has the right to hold anybody against their will.

Your post was very good, but I have to differ about this one item. Many people can hold others against their will, including anyone who is using just enough force to stop a perp from knowingly or intentionally committing one of a long list of crimes against people or property, or from fleeing after committing suck crimes.

Other more mundane examples would be institutions or caretakers of people who are incompetent; or schools who keep children against their will in loco parentis';

Other than that, you are right, it ain't worth it. Saw a guy one time trying to sell handcuffs to homeowners, pitch was "What are you going to do with the burglar until the cops get there?"...moron. Point the gun at him, if he runs away, so be it, if he comes toward you....no need for handcuffs. Why approach someone who has threatened you or yours, stay in a defensible situation, prepared, and wait for help. Lot's of training and practice goes into learning how to handcuff someone safely (for you and them),

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #114196 12/27/06 03:01 AM
D
Deer Slayer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
After you post the pictures in the feed store, post them on the forum.

Shotgun, rifle, and a four wheel drive
Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: Deer Slayer] #114197 12/27/06 03:30 AM
P
pyledriver Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
P
Will do! I bet we won't get any pics this year though. With two weeks left of season and no new game cams in place, I bet it won't get done. Hopefully he'll not care that season is over-he's poaching anyway and that'll give more time to catch him, take a pic or whatever ends up happening. I am glad that the guys don't pay much for the lease though, it would suck even worse if it was one of those 1500-2k/gun place!

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: pyledriver] #114198 12/27/06 01:08 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Sig, I expect you are right. Some people will have a responsibility to take action for the care of others.

I got my idea from something I read regarding a hired hand (Kinero?) on the King Ranch who caught a Poacher. He disarmed the guy and marched him to the house and turned him over to the law. The Poacher sued and won in court. The Judge agreed and said only the Law can hold someone against their will. A different Judge might see things differently and I have no idea whether the case was appealed. If it was appealed, then the verdict will be case law and therefore binding.

BTW, what does "schools who keep children against their will in loco parentis" mean? Reform school?

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: DoNisUglyFat] #114199 12/27/06 01:55 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

the so called kid also had a weapon

So by that definition, if you see someone carrying a weapon and you don't know them, you should point a gun at them?

Quote:

Would you point a gun at someone breaking into your home?

Not the same at all, first of one is a felony the other a misdemeanor ( it was at the time he was talking about). Would you point a weapon at someone crossing your yard.

Quote:

You seem so high and mighty but you just took the side of the criminal.

I guess your going to have to point that part out to me.

Quote:

How was he to know what the crack head might have done to him???

So now the kids a crack head. Didn't read that part, you must have mystic powers, to have known that.

Quote:

His son and i were hunting one morning and a fellow walked up to his sons tree and pointed a gun at him and told him to get down and leave or he would kill him???Now how did he know that may not also happen to him in this instance???

I'm more curious as to what you did, since obviously your were right there with him, or is this just another one of those second hand stories.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: HWY_MAN] #114200 12/27/06 05:04 PM
I
iluv2hunt Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
HWY_MAN, let it go dude. The man said 2 days ago if he had it to do all over again he would not have pointed his gun at him. It appears you are just looking for an argument. I think everybody understands your position quite well here. Let it go.

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: HWY_MAN] #114201 12/27/06 09:40 PM
D
djones Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
If someone had a rifle slung across their shoulder and was walking through my fenced backyard or entering my stand, they would probably meet the business end of whatever weapon I had with me, regardless of his age. In fact his size would probably have more to do with it.

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: djones] #114202 12/27/06 11:16 PM
D
Deer Slayer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
This, unfortunately, is one of those judgement calls I hope I never have to make. Today's court systems and lawyers make it very hard on the owner in these situations. Where do our rights start and end in these situations? When daydreaming about a confrontation with a trespasser, I always see me holding a rifle to defend myself and my possessions (animals, equipment, supplies, etc.). But just as you have it planned out in these just in case, what if situations, you hear these horror stories of the LANDOWNER being the loser in the court of law. Like I said, I hope I am never faced with this scenario because I don't know where my rights begin and end when it comes to armed trespassers.

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: Deer Slayer] #114203 12/28/06 02:07 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I don't know where my rights begin and end when it comes to armed trespassers.

May i suggest, as i did, contact your local SO and the state. A call to your local District Attorney would be wise also.

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: HWY_MAN] #114204 12/28/06 02:21 PM
D
Deer Slayer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
will do, what did they tell you?

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: Deer Slayer] #114205 12/28/06 07:46 PM
D
DoNisUglyFat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His son and i were hunting one morning and a fellow walked up to his sons tree and pointed a gun at him and told him to get down and leave or he would kill him???Now how did he know that may not also happen to him in this instance???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm more curious as to what you did, since obviously your were right there with him, or is this just another one of those second hand stories

well I called your local sherriff's office after all was said and done thought the guy was gonna bleed to death before they got there.I did not mention that the son was 22 years old and had just gotten out of the pen.As the 39 year old jackass stood there with his bottle of wiskey in hand boom box radio,and rifle slung over his shoulder seems my friends son took the butt end of his rifle stock and did some needed dentistry work.The poor fellow was missing seven teeth when the operation was over.You must be a little bitty man with small man syndrome.If a person lives next door and breaks into your home,car,shed,or deer stand they were not doing it by chance idiot.

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: DoNisUglyFat] #114206 12/28/06 07:57 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I did not mention that the son was 22 years old and had just gotten out of the pen.

Interesting, so your hunting with a known felon who has a gun in his possession. Now i know your whole story was BS, had it been true the young man would have been arrested immediately for probation violation.

And you called me an Idiot?

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 12/28/06 08:12 PM.

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: Deer Slayer] #114207 12/28/06 08:34 PM
D
Deer Slayer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Quote:

will do, what did they tell you?

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: Deer Slayer] #114208 12/28/06 08:50 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
From a previous post on page 2.

1. Get as much info from the person as possible, keeping your anger in check helps a ton here.
2. Get the Licence plate numbers.
3. Turn all available info over to the SO or the GW.

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: HWY_MAN] #114209 12/28/06 08:55 PM
D
Deer Slayer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Thanks for the info Hwyman. If that situation ever presents itself before me, I want to be able to react in a justifiable manor.

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: Deer Slayer] #114210 12/28/06 09:05 PM
D
DoNisUglyFat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I guess you got me on that one unless he was taken in and I did not state that.WOW Are you a highway patrol or just a wanna be>>?? You have issues to work through maybe let some things go.....Little tiny chip on your shoulder

Re: Catching a poacher.. [Re: DoNisUglyFat] #114211 12/28/06 09:29 PM
T
TheHag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Quote:

I guess you got me on that one unless he was taken in and I did not state that.WOW Are you a highway patrol or just a wanna be>>?? You have issues to work through maybe let some things go.....Little tiny chip on your shoulder

Why in the Sam Hill do you have to knock everyone that gets on here and has a different opinion than yours???

This site is going to you know where (like the clicks that exist on the TFF) with derogatory comments toward everyone that says something you don't like. Please take a chill pill!! You don't know HwyMan because if you did, you wouldn't say things such as that about him. He's a good man and doesn't deserve the bashing like you give him and a few others on here.

I just don't understand why posters that continue to raise problems on here are allowed to continue to post!! This is why I don't post on here anymore. This bashing got me to the point of not holding it back anymore.

Just my $.02 worth!!!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide