Print Thread
issues of public water hunting #1137003 12/30/09 06:07 AM
C
cbrown46 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
last week i took two friends of mine on a morning hunt. the law where i hunt public water states that you cannot be within 1000ft from shoreline or a blind. about 30 mins before LST a pair of rookie hunters showed up and set up well less than 1000ft from our blind. i would usually not have any issues about this but these guys were real idiots. one of the guys was standing in open water about 10 feet behind his flapper with brown waders on wailing on a call just for the heck of it. every time i had birds decoying in he got on his primos nag call, without rasp, blowing it like a distressed duck or crappy fast cadenced comeback call. they skybusted everything that came in and flared almost every group of birds that came in on us, and even after we shot some birds he repeated the same thing to try and call the group that we shot at. this goes to show that even if you are new to duck hunting please show some respect for other hunters by acting like a true sportsman so everyone has a good time and brings home a good bag.

Re: issues of public water hunting [Re: cbrown46] #1137028 12/30/09 06:29 AM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Sounds like a typical day on any North Texas lake. Sorry to say.

Re: issues of public water hunting [Re: cable] #1137055 12/30/09 07:18 AM
T
TXQuackHead Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Same stuff happens where i hunt, people go out pick a pond and get lost so they settle for whatever there spot light finds and two weeks ago we were being showered by shot over and over and over again, any birds that started working us they would call at. Some guys are idiots, Im only 21 but i know what not to do and what to do when hunting public lands.

Take Um'
Originally Posted By: Moose Knuckles
Deer hunting is childs play compared to being a true waterfowler.
Re: issues of public water hunting [Re: TXQuackHead] #1137087 12/30/09 11:33 AM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I fought that kind of Crap for the first 20 years of my duck hunting adventures-the last 22 years have been alot more enjoyable..Finally got tired of all of it!!The best thing and smartest thing I ever did was put the money up for a Airboat...hands down the best investment I ever made..barney & friends and Gomer and Goober cant do this anymore.WHY ? becuz in a airboat he cant get to where you are !!The only drawback to the airboat is : should you encounter problem while being in the back country out of sight out of mind is the fact that it takes another airboat to come get you if you have a problem.We got around that one too and built a second one.

IT'S NOT THE GUN - IT'S THE PERSON BEHIND THE GUN!
Re: issues of public water hunting [Re: 700X] #1137411 12/30/09 04:05 PM
T
Texas Fight Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Yep. We hunt 100% on lake Palestine. Duck hunting is getting REAL popular. I live on the lake and we try to go during the weekday. I would rather kill less birds and have an area to myself than kill more birds and have to call louder than the guys next to me. Welcome to public lakes in Texas!

Re: issues of public water hunting [Re: cable] #1137687 12/30/09 05:21 PM
Q
QuackStacker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Q
Originally Posted By: cable
Sounds like a typical day on any North Texas lake. Sorry to say.

same out west too. public land, gotta love it!

Re: issues of public water hunting [Re: QuackStacker] #1137698 12/30/09 05:26 PM
S
sptaylor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Nothing worse than getting there early, and some yahoo setting up right on top of you.

Re: issues of public water hunting [Re: cbrown46] #1137701 12/30/09 05:26 PM
T
TBK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: cbrown46
last week i took two friends of mine on a morning hunt. the law where i hunt public water states that you cannot be within 1000ft from shoreline or a blind. about 30 mins before LST a pair of rookie hunters showed up and set up well less than 1000ft from our blind. i would usually not have any issues about this but these guys were real idiots. one of the guys was standing in open water about 10 feet behind his flapper with brown waders on wailing on a call just for the heck of it. every time i had birds decoying in he got on his primos nag call, without rasp, blowing it like a distressed duck or crappy fast cadenced comeback call. they skybusted everything that came in and flared almost every group of birds that came in on us, and even after we shot some birds he repeated the same thing to try and call the group that we shot at. this goes to show that even if you are new to duck hunting please show some respect for other hunters by acting like a true sportsman so everyone has a good time and brings home a good bag.

Be nice to think that will happen but it won't. Reason is we live in an immediate gratification society. Everyone wants everything right now and if you can do it, so can they. So Barney will show up late and perch next to someone else and then try everything they've ever read in hopes they will get lucky. Then they can look like the guys on TV cause they make it look easy. Truth is it takes work and hours of studying duck in the wild. Most guys will never put in that time. It sucks because duck hunting is so much different than other types of hunting/fishing. We are so adversely effected by other people. That's why we have so many ruffled feathers all the time. No pun intended.

Re: issues of public water hunting [Re: TBK] #1137889 12/30/09 06:29 PM
A
ArkansasTraveler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Man that pake lalestine have some pretty stupid hunters on it. The only problem with the 1000 ft from a blind rule is there is not very many places you can duck hunt on that lake that I have found where you are that distance from another blind. If you look man they are everywhere.

Re: issues of public water hunting [Re: ArkansasTraveler] #1138082 12/30/09 07:31 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I dont mind a fella coming in on me..hell I will even tie somebody off to my boat and hunt 2gether..its the Moron who -

Leaves the boat ramp at 6 am -prime time and comes running in on you and then wants to know why your in his spot that he picked out the day b4..I usually just tell em to get down- becuz I am hunting regardless of where they are sitting.Public hunting has gotten way outta hand ! Lake Somerville- Flag Pond area and the Nails Creek area has gotten so bad that I just drive the extra miles and head to Livingston.If thats bad- then we just hold up on some slews or hit the private areas we have.

I catch alot of hell form the uneducated about my Airboat ..and for as much hell as I catch from some and as much grief as I catch from some..its Vice -versa..Nothing piss' me off more than to be set up and watch somebody try to get where I am at(aint gonna happen) and just run up and down the bank with a mudmotor wide open -over and over.

IT'S NOT THE GUN - IT'S THE PERSON BEHIND THE GUN!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide