Page 1 of 2 1 2
Poacher(s) on your deer lease #1118708 12/21/09 02:10 AM
S
Stock Broker Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
I'm wanting to hear of other hunters on the forum who have had this problem on their lease or land they own, and what was the the outcome if any.

I'm on a lease which does have some houses bordering a small portion of the property. We've had confirmation (carasses, spent casings, and other hard evidence that none of us leasers left) that we've been poached in the last few weeks at least, possibly for longer. Landowner did have the game warden out as well as the contiguous property owner. Don't want to get into too many of the details here but was wondering what people's estimation of catching the perps was.

Has anyone had similar experiences on their lease and what happened?

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: Stock Broker] #1118838 12/21/09 02:49 AM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Have had it happen, and had evidence to prove it, but no one to tie the evidence to. It's tough, probably going to take one of them messing up but it happens, and if they push it long enough they will get caught.

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: Stock Broker] #1118841 12/21/09 02:49 AM
jim1961 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Yep, tough to catch the sorry fools. We have good facial pics from game cams and have chased them twice but they evaded us. GW tries to help but they are stretched thin.

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: jim1961] #1118955 12/21/09 03:24 AM
H
huntntexas Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
if seen spotlighters from my blind at 530 in the morning and we killed a deer that had been shot in the nose and a doe that had been shot in the leg and were pretty sure it was from poachers

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: huntntexas] #1119000 12/21/09 03:37 AM
S
SmithR Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: huntntexas
if seen spotlighters from my blind at 530 in the morning and we killed a deer that had been shot in the nose and a doe that had been shot in the leg and were pretty sure it was from poachers

shoot there spotlight out bolt

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: SmithR] #1119018 12/21/09 03:42 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Have you tried putting game cams in the trees facing down? Of course you would have to turn the flash off and cover all lights with tape, I know it's a long shot at catching them but it would be better than nothing! I caught an idiot hunting my property line Sat. morning, nothing stopping him from shooting deer on my side. Some people have no morals or respect for other people!

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: grout-scout] #1119199 12/21/09 05:09 AM
K
KennyLee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Two poachers were caught coming out of my place with two bucks three weeks ago today, thanks to the hard work of a Game Warden.

I don't live out there, but talked to a neighbor this weekend that said the nightly spotlighters have really slowed down. Of course, they'll likely be back.

We've had issues for years, but this is the first time anyone has been caught. You need to definitely call your game warden.

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: KennyLee] #1119495 12/21/09 03:26 PM
S
Stock Broker Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
I should say we did move the cameras around. Even had one hidden facing another camera. The poacher actually turned the camera off on my friend's blind. Makes me think he carries a digital camera with him so he can pull the cards out and delete any pictures of himself. Guess we were grateful he didn't just take the camera, but then again maybe he doesn't know that we know he is coming.

I'm actually feeling a bit of compassion for the poacher because I fear that he is going to end up getting shot and killed. He is taking loaded weapons where other people have loaded weapons and stealing from them. Even though he is felonious scum he probably still has a family that will miss him and dependent on him. Some pretty irate hunters here.

Last edited by Stock Broker; 12/21/09 03:34 PM.
Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: KennyLee] #1119498 12/21/09 03:27 PM
D
deerhunter721 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
The penalties need to be stiffened. Now days hunters pay good money to hunt on a lease, and work hard to manage the deer herd. That could be all for not if some poacher messes it up. Game wardens are stretched pretty thin though. Unless they really come down hard on poachers, there is likely to be alot more of it if deer lease prices continue to go up. They need to make it to where poaching just isnt worth it. Make the penalties STIFF!

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: deerhunter721] #1119536 12/21/09 03:52 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I agree with the stiff penalties. It should start with mandatory confiscation of all vehicles and firearms. Fines should run well into the thousands of dollars, and a lifetime ban on the purchase of hunting/fishing licenses should be mandatory for a second offense.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: Texan Til I Die] #1119580 12/21/09 04:26 PM
W
Wild Boar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Texas needs to join the several other states, where if your banned in one state your banned in them all. I know colorado is this way and it is on a point system....Get caught with a firearm on private property without permission your 1 point away from being banned from hunting for 10 years.

P.W. ARCHERY
www.boardhunts.com
Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: Wild Boar] #1119585 12/21/09 04:29 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Wild Boar
Texas needs to join the several other states, where if your banned in one state your banned in them all. I know colorado is this way and it is on a point system....Get caught with a firearm on private property without permission your 1 point away from being banned from hunting for 10 years.

I don't think that would keep many people from poaching, unfortunately. They are already breaking the law. You need to lock their [censored] up!

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: Justin T] #1119681 12/21/09 05:13 PM
C
COWDOG Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I read a story one time about a GW who caught some poachers...Long story...The GW found the dead doe in the trunk of the poachers buick. The deer was still alive!

It brought a tear to my eye.

My uncles friend caught some road hunters one night and put a bullet in the "O" of his F O R D tailgate while the hunters hunckerd over the hood spotlighiting and shooting.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND but it was VERY FUNNY story!

"If I die in Dallas, drag my cold, dead body back to Fort Worth"
Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: COWDOG] #1119733 12/21/09 05:47 PM
K
KennyLee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
One of the scariest experiences I've ever had involved some spot-lighters. It was a stand that has always been my favorite and is very isolated. It's near the fence line where several properties meet. Four properties kind of joined up there, all pretty large: 25thousand, 13thousand, 9thousand, and 1thousand. The nearest county road is about 9 miles, which in the hill country is a pretty long way.

I got in the stand early one morning, probably around 5:45 or 6am. I was hunting out of a tripod nestled in a group of trees. There is an old cemetary about 200 yards away with some massive cedars and I always parked under a giant one that I had cut some branches out of to make what I liked to call "my garage".

I was hunting alone that morning as no one else wanted to get out of bed. We had planned to leave after that mornings hunt and since I'd brought my own truck, I likely wouldn't see any of them before I left later that day.

About 6:30am I start seeing lights on the horizon. At first I can't make it out. Then I start seeing the spotlight. I was a bit surprised and mad, but figured it was a neighbor going to a property near by.

There is a gate near the cemetary to goes onto the 1,000 acre place, but it's not used and those folks don't have permission to pass through there.

The light got closer and closer, then a truck rounds the bend and lights up the deer feeder I'm hunting. I kept trying to make myself believe it was one of the ranch-hands kids, but as they got closer I started having doubts. I put the cross hairs on the driver as soon as I could see the truck. It definitely wasn't one of the ranch trucks.

I came REALLY, REALLY close to pulling the trigger. The thoughts that ran through my head were many and none were pleasant. As the deer ran off from the feeder (of course, I couldn't see them before they lit it up) I stayed focused on that truck.

It pulled forward a few more feet. I made up my mind that if that light cames toward me, I was pulling the trigger. I flipped the safety off and got ready. I figured I'd get one shot off before I jumped out of the 12 foot tripod and tried to make a mental note of where the bigger rocks were below me.

The truck started driving forward, then stopped. I heard an "oh ****) as the headlights of the truck reflected off my truck parked in the tree. The spot light turned to my truck, then off quickly.

The truck drove on up to the gate, my cross hair on it the entire time. I could hear most of what the two boys were saying, including "oh man, I knew we shouldn't have cut through here".

By this point I'm out of the stand. I walk up, my pistol in hand, and ask them what in the hell they're doing.

Ends up they were a neighbors grandkids. They were running late and thought it'd be faster to cut through the ranch I was hunting. That I understood (though they didn't have permission) but the spotlight had really hacked me off.

I made them turn around and go out the way they came in. They'd already ruined my hunt (and day) and I decided it was time to ruin theirs. I knew it would take them a good 30-45 minutes to go around.

They got in a pretty good amount of trouble for that little episode and I doubt they've cut through that ranch again since that day.

I'm glad I didn't pull that trigger. I can't imagine the regret I would have if I had.

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: KennyLee] #1119835 12/21/09 07:01 PM
R
RDub Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I had a neighbor that went hunting with a friend of his in Cass County. They were hunting on some land that wasn't theirs, and they came up on a few of the hunters that were on the lease. They got into a fist fight with the leasers, and one of the lease hunters shot my neighbors friend, and killed him where he dropped. My neighbor took off in the woods, and they followed him. They shot at him, but missed, and he eventually got away. He was beat to all snot, but alive. They caught the other guys and prosecuted them, but it just goes to show you that people don't play around when it comes to their money, land, and respect.

Well, what I mean by that, sir, is... if you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, sir... pack your bags, fellas, war's over. Amen.--SPR[image]

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: RDub] #1119922 12/21/09 07:41 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
It would not be very smart to shoot someone just because they are on your property or lease and you happened to catch them, but then if they threatened you with a gun, or worse, fired shots at you, then you would have no other alternative but return fire, so then it may be justified, but still you have to live with that for the rest of your days, trying to clear your name, and with lawyers and judges now days, I don't think it would be worth it.

Claiming it was an accident and you thought you were shooting at a deer, might be less trouble with the law, but the civil trial and outcome may not be very pretty either.

Call the law, and let them handle it! It's just not worth ruining your life on account of some dumb arse poacher!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: Jimbo] #1120024 12/21/09 08:24 PM
R
RDub Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
It would not be very smart to shoot someone just because they are on your property or lease and you happened to catch them, but then if they threatened you with a gun, or worse, fired shots at you, then you would have no other alternative but return fire, so then it may be justified, but still you have to live with that for the rest of your days, trying to clear your name, and with lawyers and judges now days, I don't think it would be worth it.

Claiming it was an accident and you thought you were shooting at a deer, might be less trouble with the law, but the civil trial and outcome may not be very pretty either.

Call the law, and let them handle it! It's just not worth ruining your life on account of some dumb arse poacher!

+1

Well, what I mean by that, sir, is... if you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, sir... pack your bags, fellas, war's over. Amen.--SPR[image]

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: RDub] #1120093 12/21/09 09:08 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Don't know that you'd call it poaching, but I've been on two leases, one just north of Olney and another near Comanche, where the lease brokers/landowner (one of each) was bringing in day hunters during the week in both instances when they knew we wouldn't be there. On the last place, the landowner had a very strict rule about us calling ahead to let him know we were going to be there. Not an unheard of rule, but we eventually found out why it was a requirement.

The stupid thing about it was these people were hunting in our stands and leaving empty beer cans, cigarette butts, shell casings, windows open, etc. One of our hunters actually had a pile of crap and a bunch of used TP right under his tower stand and another guy showed up to his stand one day only to find some dude sitting in it who said the landowner told him he could hunt there.

Poaching or not, we viewed it as being stolen from since we had paid a lot of money to hunt the places exclusively.

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1120139 12/21/09 09:38 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Stop being such a jerk, Stock Broker.

Not everyone is a wealthy as you are.

Note - I'm a personal friend of his and am just kidding. Hope you catch them.

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: KennyLee] #1120150 12/21/09 09:44 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: KennyLee
One of the scariest experiences I've ever had involved some spot-lighters. It was a stand that has always been my favorite and is very isolated. It's near the fence line where several properties meet. Four properties kind of joined up there, all pretty large: 25thousand, 13thousand, 9thousand, and 1thousand. The nearest county road is about 9 miles, which in the hill country is a pretty long way.

I got in the stand early one morning, probably around 5:45 or 6am. I was hunting out of a tripod nestled in a group of trees. There is an old cemetary about 200 yards away with some massive cedars and I always parked under a giant one that I had cut some branches out of to make what I liked to call "my garage".

I was hunting alone that morning as no one else wanted to get out of bed. We had planned to leave after that mornings hunt and since I'd brought my own truck, I likely wouldn't see any of them before I left later that day.

About 6:30am I start seeing lights on the horizon. At first I can't make it out. Then I start seeing the spotlight. I was a bit surprised and mad, but figured it was a neighbor going to a property near by.

There is a gate near the cemetary to goes onto the 1,000 acre place, but it's not used and those folks don't have permission to pass through there.

The light got closer and closer, then a truck rounds the bend and lights up the deer feeder I'm hunting. I kept trying to make myself believe it was one of the ranch-hands kids, but as they got closer I started having doubts. I put the cross hairs on the driver as soon as I could see the truck. It definitely wasn't one of the ranch trucks.

I came REALLY, REALLY close to pulling the trigger. The thoughts that ran through my head were many and none were pleasant. As the deer ran off from the feeder (of course, I couldn't see them before they lit it up) I stayed focused on that truck.

It pulled forward a few more feet. I made up my mind that if that light cames toward me, I was pulling the trigger. I flipped the safety off and got ready. I figured I'd get one shot off before I jumped out of the 12 foot tripod and tried to make a mental note of where the bigger rocks were below me.

The truck started driving forward, then stopped. I heard an "oh ****) as the headlights of the truck reflected off my truck parked in the tree. The spot light turned to my truck, then off quickly.

The truck drove on up to the gate, my cross hair on it the entire time. I could hear most of what the two boys were saying, including "oh man, I knew we shouldn't have cut through here".

By this point I'm out of the stand. I walk up, my pistol in hand, and ask them what in the hell they're doing.

Ends up they were a neighbors grandkids. They were running late and thought it'd be faster to cut through the ranch I was hunting. That I understood (though they didn't have permission) but the spotlight had really hacked me off.

I made them turn around and go out the way they came in. They'd already ruined my hunt (and day) and I decided it was time to ruin theirs. I knew it would take them a good 30-45 minutes to go around.

They got in a pretty good amount of trouble for that little episode and I doubt they've cut through that ranch again since that day.

I'm glad I didn't pull that trigger. I can't imagine the regret I would have if I had.

That would have been very stupid of you.

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: cbump] #1120218 12/21/09 10:30 PM
K
KennyLee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: cbump
Originally Posted By: KennyLee

That would have been very stupid of you.

Yeah, it would have been.

The only reason I would have done it is that I was in fear of my life. Sure, I was mad about the spotlighting, but I was truly afraid. Re-reading my original post, I guess I should clarify one point: I didn't put my rifle on them until I figured out the truck was not one from the ranch I was hunting (back then, I spent a ton of time down there year round and new everybody that had access to that land). When I figured out it was a tresspasser, my mind went from mad to scared very fast.

The entire episode lasted less than a couple of minutes, but it seemed like an eternity at the time. I remember thinking that if they shine that spotlight on me and hold it, I'm going to have to defend myself. Mind you, I was sitting 12 feet up in a open-air tripod, completely exposed other than some burlap. I'm a very big guy and the idea of quickly just getting down out of the stand wasn't an option. I considered it, but thought I really didn't want to get caught on the ladder, or worse, fall out trying to rush out.

Fortunately, the spotlight never focused on me in the tripod. As soon as they saw my truck in the trees, they quickly turned it off. Once I overheard them, I knew I was out of harms way and my fear turned back to anger. That's when I got down to go tell them what I thought of their antics.

The fact is, I'm lucky it was just a couple of kids. If it had been some poachers, I might not have gotten so lucky. It can be argued what might have happened, but while I've never been fired upon by poachers, I know many who have.

The fact remains, even if it was some poacher, if I'd have pulled that trigger, defending myself or not, there would have been alot of reprecussions. In talking with an attorney friend after the fact, I feel the law would be in my favor. But, that doesn't speak to how many thousands of dollars it would have cost to get to that favor.

Several lives would have been affected by that single moment, including mine, my family, the two others involved, their families, and many friends on all sides. It would have been a tough situation to put behind any of us.

I only share this story so that some who seem so quick to say "if that happened to me, I'd take care of them!" to think a little about what they're saying. Unfortunately, I've been around similar situations and none ever end well. Even if someone doesn't get found "guilty" of an action, that doesn't mean alot of real guilt isn't felt after the fact.

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: KennyLee] #1120551 12/22/09 01:14 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
A round through a tire or engine block though is an option. Wouldn't do it out of a stand though. The bad part is the jerks coming back when you're not there, burning down campers, stealing ATV's and stuff like that. I stepped into the road and took a picture of the vehicle and license plate once. Last time we saw them that season.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: passthru] #1126924 12/24/09 07:43 PM
D
DHuggins Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I wont feel sorry the the poachers.. when one of you guys empty a mag on them.. its gonna be hard for the poachers to tell their side of the story if they not breathing!

I would rather be Judged by 6 then carried by 5!!

A bad day of Hunting is Better than a Good Day at work...

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: KennyLee] #1127049 12/24/09 08:53 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I just think it would have been hard to prove your life was in danger because a light stopped on you. Especially when it turned out to be a couple kids.

Re: Poacher(s) on your deer lease [Re: DHuggins] #1127050 12/24/09 08:54 PM
E
ETXbuckman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
My dad nearly killed a poacher a fews years back on his uncle's place in Woodville. These two guys came walking through some thick stuff and although my dad couldn't see them he could hear them. Two people in stealh mode sound an awful lot like a deer. He was ready to blast the "deer" when they stepped out a mere 15 ft away. Luckily he caught himself before pulling the trigger. He held his gun on them while telling them to unload their rifles. My dad said the poor bastard in front was shaking so bad he could hardly open his breach. That piece of property hadn't produced any deer in years (thanks to these morons I'm sure) so we pretty much quit hunting it after that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide