Print Thread
My evening rant #111419 11/18/06 11:20 PM
S
skookumchuck Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S

I just got out of the hospital after nine days and was handed a pretty severe sentence. I have an aneurism on the lower part of my aorta. No fixes are possible in the Wichita Falls area, (no expertise). So all my files are going to Dallas to some research and developement outfit to see if a fix is possible. So far it does not look good. So, here is my delimma. I have spent the last few years being rather sedate because of other medical problems and have not done any hunting. I contacted DAS, ealier this year, out of curiosity more than anything else, and quess what. I went hunting within two weeks. Didn't see anything, but I went "hunting". Enjoyed every minute of sitting out there in a blind at 26 degrees and wind at 40 MPH. Then they took me hunting again a month later. Still no game, but what a thrill to chase the pigs around. I cannot say enough good things about Aaron and the other folks over there.
Now it all seems superflous. Not an empty effort but I think a necessary one. But what I really want to do is bag a deer. I won't be looking for a trophy cause I think that is overkill. I just want to experience the thrill of the hunt like my ancestors have done. But, the crux of the matter is "money". Any hunt around here is on private property, cost a minimum of $600, without the extras, and I require a bit of help getting to the blind and such. Living on Social Security is not going to make it happen. If it was not for the VA, I couldn't even buy my medications.
So, I have come up with a plan. I am going to do some riding around and if I see a deer on a ranch or farm, I'm going to have my caregiver drop me off and I'll sit by the road until that deer comes into range. I am not sure how I'm going to get it into the car, but I hope I grow a few more muscles before then.
That is an illegal, underhanded, black cloak way of doing it, something I would have never considered until now, but I don't see any other way. I have talked to some of these ranchers, and farmers. "Not on my property, you won't" I have contacted Channel 4 here in Wichita Falls trying to get support for disabled veterans. They don't even bother to acknowledge reciept of my mail. I have even written to Parks and Recreation. No help there either. Wheeling Sportsmen did offer me a hunt, I think it was in Louisiana, but that's to far for me to travel. About 300 miles in my limit, and then I am exhausted. Buckmasters tried to set me up but there was never anything close enough.
So I'm going to get my deer. What are they going to do to me? Put me in jail for the last few months of my life? Take away my black powder rifle that I had to sell other stuff to buy? Ban me from hunting in Texas for the rest of my life? What a joke this American way of life has turned into a DOLLAR busines venture, one that is aimed at people who have the money to pay for it, big money. The state game laws do not protect those who have not been able to rise above the average Texan in their income. They either pony up the money or find a new hobby, but those hobbies can get expensive too. I guess they would say "that money would buy a lot of beef." Well that's not the point . It is the hunt. It's being outdoors in the deers back yard, to watch them, see what they do, and how they overcome problems. Well, that might be a little too deep for some to understand.
OK, I've had my rant. It's really the frustrations that's doing it, honest. But that's just they way I feel about.
Hope you all have a great evening.
Skookumchuck

Who, me?
Re: My evening rant [Re: skookumchuck] #111420 11/19/06 01:47 AM
D
DoubleBayou Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Don't give up on your health. The Dr.'s did the right thing for you. They are not giving up on you so don't you do it either.

You were in the right place, DAS. They had you out twice, that is a blessing in itself.
Keep your head up and your knees down. You can't control the deer and you certainly can't control God's will; and he ain't calling for you yet.

You don't want to go to jail even for one night. So go back to DAS and hang tough. Then ask around, someone may scoop you up and take you if you only ask. Well and if they know you're not a poacher!!!

Re: My evening rant [Re: DoubleBayou] #111421 11/19/06 02:18 AM
S
skookumchuck Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks DoubleBayou,
Your words do help right now. It was just frustration making me send that post. I am no non law obeying person and certainly not a poacher. When I look at what I've been through and what is ahead it kind of got me down a bit. I don't expect anyone to take me hunting. And I say that with all sincerity. I know that outfitters have to make a profit or they won't be around next year. And farmers and ranchers have to squeeze out every cent of income or they won't be around long either. There are a lot of stumbling blocks ahead of me and if I intend to go hunting again, and I should probably be concentrating on Dallas. But the docs say I shouldn't get my hopes up. So there is a real chance this thing could rupture a lot sooner than later. But I am dealing with that pretty well. It may sound morbid but I'm kinda looking forward to whatever happens. But that's my culture speaking. Death is a part of life and my own will be no different.
I think I've pobably said to much now. This is a hunting forum and should be dedicated to that subject.
So again, thank you for your kind worrds. They are apprciated.
shookumchuck

Who, me?
Re: My evening rant [Re: skookumchuck] #111422 11/19/06 02:34 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I just read a little on the aorta and what they are saying is "it can be treated " either with surgery or maybe with something a little less than surgery.Witcha Falls probably don't have the ficilitys but Dallas does.Don't condemn yourself yet as i know people that have anarisims and are living well and good.

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Re: My evening rant [Re: John2] #111423 11/19/06 03:26 PM
S
skookumchuck Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks John2. Most aneurisims can be dealt with surgery, but in my case the swelling is right at the point where the kidney arteries split off from the aorta. So there is no room for the stint to be placed against the aorta wall. If they put in one of the present stints there is a more than good chance the swelling will just go around it. The doctor said this R&D outfit in Dallas has done some pretty amazing things but not quite like this. Normal surgery is out of the question because I have severe COPD plus diabetes and if they did do the surgery right now (a normal one) I would not survive the surgery. So it's a catchh 22 situation. Damned if I do and damned if I don't.
But I did get the rant off my chest and I do feel better. I just have to wait for a month or so to find out. I guess that's the hard part. I weigh the pros and cons of something and if I decide to do it then I want to do it now and get it over with. Does that make sense? To get an idea of where I am at mentally, read the On Top Of The Mountain in Off Topics. It says a lot about me.
I want to thank you for taking the time to reply to my rant. It takes a special person to hold out their hand to someone who is in need. Bless you.
skookumchuck

Who, me?
Re: My evening rant [Re: skookumchuck] #111424 11/19/06 04:02 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I didn't look at it as a rant but someone just expressing themselves at a particular moment in there life.Think of it this way,as long as your breathing there is hope and as long as there's hope then that is a reason to live,i'm sure they are working on solving problems and yes,it seems to be a long process.

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Re: My evening rant [Re: skookumchuck] #111425 11/20/06 01:02 AM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Hang in there Skookumchuck. Don't give up, keep fighting and praying. As long as you have a breath and a will to fight you have a chance. Good luck, I hope you get your hunt and your deer and I'll be praying for you.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: My evening rant [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #111426 11/20/06 12:46 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Hang in there Shookumchuck, my dad went through the same thing many years ago and he is doing great still. So hand in there, will be sending a prayer your way.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide