Page 1 of 2 1 2
I guess I am gonna keep him! #1106614 12/15/09 04:34 AM
P
ProximoMetalica Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
We found a very nice pure breed lab the other day on the road side. He almost got hit by several vehicles, so we pulled over and decided to pick the dog up. There were not neighbor hoods around and I cannot imagine someone hunting in the area. The dog was wearing a shock collar with a red blinking light on it when we found him.

So, I took the dog home. We placed several "Found Dog" flyers at conveinience stores in the area. I have not gotten any call on him and I have decided to keep him unless I get a call anytime soon. I am very sorry that this dog will not be going back to his original owner, but he will have a great home with me and he will learn to retrieve too.

He is very calm, loves people and he responds fairly well to basic commands. He will sit, stay and come and we are working on heel. I have some knowledge of basic training with retrievers, but it has been a long time since I have done it.

I have not tried any kind of fetch training at the moment. I figure we have to get the basics down before we can do anything else. I want to whistle train him next.

The vet says he is about 1.5 years old and in very good health.

What should I do next? He seems very intellegent and I am anxious to see what he can do? Is he too old?

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: ProximoMetalica] #1106625 12/15/09 04:41 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
it sounds like he possibly could have dumped off by his owner esp. since you haven't gotten a call yet and he had an e collar on him. Good luck I hope he turns out well for you.

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: FowlDreams] #1106636 12/15/09 04:46 AM
P
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
it sounds like he possibly could have dumped off by his owner esp. since you haven't gotten a call yet and he had an e collar on him. Good luck I hope he turns out well for you.

I have a hard time believing this dog was dropped off. He is in great shape and intelligent to boot. More likely somewhere, there is a very upset owner out there. He really is a great dog. I hope it turns out well too.

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: FowlDreams] #1106650 12/15/09 04:49 AM
M
monkeyexpress Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
1.5 year old lab? Start him out by rubbing a little duck blood on a deadfall-decoy and play fetch with him. Once he has a little taste, I think he'll get the picture just fine. It's sad that his owners are without him (possibly not if he was unwanted) but it's a good thing yall picked him up and are willing to work him. Dogs are awesome.. they just want to please.

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: ProximoMetalica] #1106655 12/15/09 04:51 AM
D
duckboy007 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
That sucks!!! I would hope that the owner finds you, but if not, good luck with the training! Should be fun. I can't imagine losing a dog that way. I wouldn't think anyone would dump a dog without keeping the collar?

My dog snores.
Secret Agent Custom Calls
Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: duckboy007] #1106658 12/15/09 04:53 AM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Good luck with the pup.

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: FowlDreams] #1106668 12/15/09 04:57 AM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Have the vet check for a micro chip if he didn't already do it.

Does the dog know obedience commands like sit, down, etc?
Does it retrieve thrown objects?
Does it show any signs of formal training?

I think it is more likely he ran off because something scared him wile hunting like a gun or being shocked by the e-collar if he wasn't properly trained before hand.

I hear of people strapping an e-collar on labs all the time when they have no idea what they are doing, how to use it or any training with their dog. They think its like a remote control. confused2

I have a name plate on my dog's e-collar so that if something like this happens to her my name and phone numbers on on there.

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: TexasEd] #1106719 12/15/09 05:13 AM
P
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
No microchip that I know of. Vet checked and said know known ID for the dog. He does know basic commands. He will sit, stay and come and he is learning to heel. I do not have anything yet to throw for him. I am going to buy a dummy tomorrow, but will not have time to work with him till Friday.

He has way too many distractions for him to learn too much at the moment. Mother in law brought her dogs over because she is having surgery and I already had 2 to begin with.

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: ProximoMetalica] #1106838 12/15/09 08:51 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Seems like he ran off from his owner. Red blinking light sounds like the collar is running out of juice.

[Linked Image]

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: Fooshman] #1106844 12/15/09 09:37 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Id put money on it he chased a deer.

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
I like spoonie, his humor is dryer than my duck lease.
Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: Fooshman] #1106855 12/15/09 11:29 AM
C
Cappy_TX Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Fooshman
Seems like he ran off from his owner. Red blinking light sounds like the collar is running out of juice.

Red Blinking light on the collar simply indicates that it is turned on. The blinks become slower and further apart as the battery weakens. It will turn off on its own when the battery dies. That could be up to 30 days unless activated frequently. Much like a walkie-talkie, they will last a lot longer if used infrequently to transmit.

Prox ... forgive me in advance for being blunt but I question how hard you've really looked for the owner. Ads in local papers and craigslist under lost and found, contact with several vets in the area where you got him letting them know what you've found, posters with picture at convenience stores,/gas stations in the area, contact with animal shelters and rescue sites ... these are only a few of the things that can be done to help reunite the dawg and owner. By the way, some dawgs get an ID tattoo inside the ear flap or inner thigh. Also ... microchips can and do "migrate" from where they were placed on the neck/shoulder area. Have the dawg re-scanned by an experienced tech.

There should be a brand name and/or model number on the receiver. Look for the manufacturers name and a serial number. If registered for warranty with them, that could lead you right to the owner.

If I've insulted you, that wasn't my intent. I'm simply saying that I would hope if you lost a loved gun dawg, that whoever found him would put forth more effort to get him back to you than you've said you've done so far. But maybe you just want to keep him anyhow?

Cappy ... At my side for thirteen years, in my heart forever.
Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: ishootspoonies] #1106858 12/15/09 11:42 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Prox, our dog is a yelllow lab that I basically got for free, though I did pay a friend $50 to go pick her up. She has turned out to be a great duck dog. When we got her she was 6 months old and I started training her as soon as we got her, because the first two weeks we had her she kept catching the kildees that hang out in my yard. You never know, you may have a "diamond in the rough" too.

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: Cappy_TX] #1106999 12/15/09 02:16 PM
H
HOU Razorback Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Cappy_TX

Red Blinking light on the collar simply indicates that it is turned on. The blinks become slower and further apart as the battery weakens. It will turn off on its own when the battery dies. That could be up to 30 days unless activated frequently. Much like a walkie-talkie, they will last a lot longer if used infrequently to transmit.

Prox ... forgive me in advance for being blunt but I question how hard you've really looked for the owner. Ads in local papers and craigslist under lost and found, contact with several vets in the area where you got him letting them know what you've found, posters with picture at convenience stores,/gas stations in the area, contact with animal shelters and rescue sites ... these are only a few of the things that can be done to help reunite the dawg and owner. By the way, some dawgs get an ID tattoo inside the ear flap or inner thigh. Also ... microchips can and do "migrate" from where they were placed on the neck/shoulder area. Have the dawg re-scanned by an experienced tech.

There should be a brand name and/or model number on the receiver. Look for the manufacturers name and a serial number. If registered for warranty with them, that could lead you right to the owner.

If I've insulted you, that wasn't my intent. I'm simply saying that I would hope if you lost a loved gun dawg, that whoever found him would put forth more effort to get him back to you than you've said you've done so far. But maybe you just want to keep him anyhow?

A red blinking light on my Dogtra e-collar means its running out of juice. Mine blinks green when its turned on and at charge.

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: Cappy_TX] #1107077 12/15/09 02:58 PM
D
Danno Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

My name and phone numbers are going on my collar as soon as I get home! (Have it on her regular collar but not on her hunting collar)

Dang that would suck to lose a dog while hunting or training (or any time for that matter).

My thoughts: Young dog while being hunted over or trained might have jumped a rabbit or deer and hauled arse after it. If the trainer had NOT fully taught and proofed whistle sit AND/OR properly collar conditioned the dog I can see how a young dog could become confused by the e-stim at the moment. Have seen too many clients dogs that were "not trained but good hunting dawgs" that were accidents waiting to happen. I carry a tie-down stake and extra leash when they insist on hunting over their dog. One break and its on the leash. Further control issues and it's back to the truck.

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: Danno] #1107121 12/15/09 03:12 PM
F
FamousAmos Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I agree with the idea that the dog was probably running a deer. I also agree that a much harder search for the owner ought to be made. Craigslist, newspapers, all vets in the area. I took my black lab to the vet when he was 12 weeks old and he rode in the back of my truck without a kennel. I thought he was little and he would be fine. He jumped out of the truck on my way home. I looked all day, stopping at every business. I posted signs, etc. The next morning a Fort Worth fireman went to work and said, "Guess what I found yesterday!" One of the other firemen said, "A labrador?" That fire station was the last place I stopped to ask about people seeing my dog. The guy who found him was an avid hunter and thought he had found a real blessing. I was glad to get him back. He's 9 years old now and asleep in the yard as I write this.

“And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”
‭‭Micah‬ ‭6:8‬
Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: FamousAmos] #1107138 12/15/09 03:18 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
Proximo -
Are sure that it is an e-collar and not a bark collar? If it is a bark collar, then maybe I could buy the "dump" theory. Just can't see someone that has spent time training a dog simply dumping them, or not busting their arses a little more in hopes of finding him. confused2

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: fowlplayr] #1107255 12/15/09 03:58 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
My tri-tronics e-collar blinks when it is on and working properly.

I agree with those that suggest looking harder. I am sick to my stomach thinking about how I would feel if I was missing my dog.

I don't think he was dumped. He bolted from the owner on a hunt.

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: TexasEd] #1107460 12/15/09 05:16 PM
S
sptaylor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I have a tritronics as well, and it blinks every 5 seconds when turned on. I would imagine the owner would be posting lost signs as well. Not a bad idea to contact all local vets and let them know as well.

Good Luck..

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: sptaylor] #1107795 12/15/09 07:20 PM
J
jaulbert2 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that flippin' dog.

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: jaulbert2] #1107828 12/15/09 07:30 PM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: jaulbert2
Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that flippin' dog.

roflmao one of the best movies ever made

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: FowlDreams] #1107846 12/15/09 07:38 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Was Miss Lippy the creepy one who put glue on her face?

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: TexasEd] #1107853 12/15/09 07:41 PM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: TexasEd
Was Miss Lippy the creepy one who put glue on her face?

YES rofl

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: Cappy_TX] #1108136 12/15/09 09:32 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F

My collar blinks green when fully charged, then yellow and then red when it is running out of juice.

[Linked Image]

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: Fooshman] #1108212 12/15/09 09:59 PM
D
DUAggie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
you might check to see if there are any dog trainers in the area as well. it's not uncommon for someone to leave their dog with a trainer and the unfamiliar surroundings frightens the dog and it takes off. Since he was wearing an e-collar he was either being hunted and took off or being trained and took off.

good luck and hope you find the original owner.

Re: I guess I am gonna keep him! [Re: DUAggie] #1115356 12/18/09 11:24 PM
P
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
Update....LOL

I do not believe this dog has had any quality training. He is very head strong and stubborn. This would explain the e-collar. He knows how to sit, stay somewhat and heel is not working out so good so far. He will bring a dummy back to my hand everytime I throw it, but he does not know how to mark or run on a line yet.

I am working with him and he is making some progress, but we both have too many distractions at the moment.

We did have the dog examined by a vet and the vet said there were no chips nor were there any other identifiable markings on the dog. I notified the Humane Society that is located no more than 3 miles from where he was found and We called Animal control to leave my phone number. Flyers were put up at local convenience stores and none of this has resulted in any phone calls.

There have been several points at which I have questioned whether I could even keep this dog, so believe me I would like to find his owner. He is growing on me but he is distructive. He has eaten all of the screens that are located on the back of the house, he has shredded the dog bed we got him and scratched the back door up so bad, I will have to sand and repaint it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide