Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Boone and Crockett [Re: Lazy L] #1102998 12/13/09 10:50 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I get your point and we agree on that. I just disagree that me saying "it would have been a monster with a couple more years on it" is an insult. It is an observation, not a condemnation.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Boone and Crockett [Re: passthru] #1103266 12/14/09 12:35 AM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
It seems like alot of hunters turn into wildlife biologists after they watch a couple of hunting shows. Unless the lease has its own set of rules governing age and antler size, its really nobody elses business what what you shoot providing its within the law. When a person is hunting an area where there are several different lease properties that are in the 200-500 acre size, passing on a nice deer because you think it is too young or has more potential will probably put that deer on your lease neighbors wall instead of yours. I am all for shooting mature deer, but if I dont see any throughout the season, there will be a younger one in my freezer. It is wrong IMO to run down somebodys deer and make comments on it when they are proud of it. We have been letting the deer age more for the last 11 years, but I can only tell a small difference in the quality of the bucks we see.

Re: Boone and Crockett [Re: LonestarCobra] #1103303 12/14/09 12:46 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: LonestarCobra
It seems like alot of hunters turn into wildlife biologists after they watch a couple of hunting shows. Unless the lease has its own set of rules governing age and antler size, its really nobody elses business what what you shoot providing its within the law. When a person is hunting an area where there are several different lease properties that are in the 200-500 acre size, passing on a nice deer because you think it is too young or has more potential will probably put that deer on your lease neighbors wall instead of yours. I am all for shooting mature deer, but if I dont see any throughout the season, there will be a younger one in my freezer. It is wrong IMO to run down somebodys deer and make comments on it when they are proud of it. We have been letting the deer age more for the last 11 years, but I can only tell a small difference in the quality of the bucks we see.

+1

Re: Boone and Crockett [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1103484 12/14/09 01:36 AM
J
jbs8307 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
dido except for the shooting the young buck if theres no meat in the freezer. If i dont see an old one i wont shoot one that year. If i want meat ill kill a doe and some pigs.
But you obviously feel that shooting the older bucks is the right thing to do. And your justification for shooting a younger one is: If you dont someone else will?

Sounds to me like you are on meat lease whether thats what you are trying to do or not. If you want to manage without worry about neighbors shooting your deer get a larger lease.

But im not judging more power to you. They all taste the same and there are four million of them in texas. Not everybody has to trophy manage.

Re: Boone and Crockett [Re: jbs8307] #1103578 12/14/09 02:12 AM
K
killemall Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
If the neighbor is thinking the same thing then 2 immature deer get shot. And so on and so on.

Re: Boone and Crockett [Re: jbs8307] #1103585 12/14/09 02:15 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
The whole worry about someone "running down somebodies deer and making comments on it" is bs and that is the whole point. If you take it as a put down then that's your choice. Also, if you don't want others opinion don't put it out there for others to comment on.

Don't strap it on the hood if you don't want folks to admire/laugh at your deer.

Me, I haven't shot anything to brag too much about so I don't have room to make fun of yours.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Boone and Crockett [Re: fbcoach] #1103989 12/14/09 03:58 AM
J
john.sharp Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
A guys 6 point could be a 18 point to him.

The Huntin Cabin, Everything about the outdoors!
www.thehuntincabin.com
Re: Boone and Crockett [Re: john.sharp] #1104224 12/14/09 06:54 AM
B
bigharge Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Im all for managing a deer lease, who wouldnt rather shoot a 150 class buck over a 120. My main problem in Texas is it has all come down to money. You can shoot however a big a buck you can afford. Its all about money! You have to take out a loan just to find a decent place to take your kids!

Re: Boone and Crockett [Re: LonestarCobra] #1104280 12/14/09 12:16 PM
T
texfork Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: LonestarCobra

Prayer is the "ultimate" wireless connection .
Re: Boone and Crockett [Re: jbs8307] #1104386 12/14/09 02:00 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: (HTHC)jbs8307

Sounds to me like you are on meat lease whether thats what you are trying to do or not. If you want to manage without worry about neighbors shooting your deer get a larger lease.

I see what you are saying and agree to a certain point. When you hunt the same lease for 11 seasons, and the first 7 years of it only 3 bucks were shot on the place and then you see the deer still have not gotten any better you have 2 choices. Move to bigger/different place, or stay there and enjoy yourself and shoot a nice deer that is not a "booner". The hunting pressure is extremely high in alot of areas where the big ranches have been divided up and sold in small amounts.

Re: Boone and Crockett [Re: passthru] #1104400 12/14/09 02:10 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: passthru
The whole worry about someone "running down somebodies deer and making comments on it" is bs and that is the whole point. If you take it as a put down then that's your choice. Also, if you don't want others opinion don't put it out there for others to comment on.

Don't strap it on the hood if you don't want folks to admire/laugh at your deer.

Me, I haven't shot anything to brag too much about so I don't have room to make fun of yours.

I have never "worried" about what anyone has said about my kills or anything else for that matter. Where I come from, we dont strap deer on hoods either. If you did happen to see a fellow hunter at the processor or gas station etc., that had a 3 1/2 year old 115" deer are you the kind of guy that would go over and comment on it? That deer may be his/her 8 year old kids first deer, and they dont want to hear BS about how big it may or may not have been in future years.

Re: Boone and Crockett [Re: Lazy L] #1104549 12/14/09 03:17 PM
F
fbcoach Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
Been busy all weekend haven't been on the computer for a while. Great comments. I coach football hence fbcoach. Some of ya'll are missing the point. If you can't go shake someone's hand and say nice deer, why comment. The BC has had an impact on this. That's my whole point. Some still hunt for the hunt, others hunt to kill, and still others hunt to be recognized. To each his own who am I to tell you what you can and can't harvest. Just like I'm not going to tell you that your wife is ugly or she's too young for you and that if you'd have just waited a few more years, you may have married a prettier girl closer to your age.

when in doubt air it out
Re: Boone and Crockett [Re: fbcoach] #1104612 12/14/09 03:40 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Hey Coach,
Is it just my imagination or does Boone and Crockett Score have the same acronym as something else most football people hate...?

BCS?

I agree. If one of my hunters kills one and is happy, I am happy with them, for whatever reason. If a place has set rules and they broke a rule, they'll know it already, and won't have to be reminded.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide