Print Thread
any Walker county -Trinity area pointers? #1104236 12/14/09 08:07 AM
F
fishinbob2 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
The deer at our ranch are wierd. They wont go to feeders but they will go to poured corn. If the hogs are here there are no deer. When the hogs go away they come in droves.Huge deer with huge bases. I have seen 2.5 year old deer with 6 inch bases and 12 in. long g-2s.I just haven't seen any in the daytime.We join 10,000 acres and they aren't shooting up there much either. Is this just a wierd year or what? We own land 8 miles west of Trinity just off 230. Anyone hunting near that has killed anything good. I know they are there.

Never seen 'em grow bigger horns on the ground
Re: any Walker county -Trinity area pointers? [Re: fishinbob2] #1104390 12/14/09 02:02 PM
H
huntindude Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H

fishinbob2, No i have not harvested anything yet. I wasted our doe season this year by saying I will wait for the next one. I hunt closer to groveton, but have been in the same boat as you when it comes to deer. The hogs have all but disapeared on our place since the dought. The buck movement was amazing the two weeks before rifle season started. Never saw so may bucks during the day light hours before and they were out in the open as well. But now, I see does and does and does. Wait I saw a spike sat. morning. But I did notice within the last week since all the vegetaion has died because of the freeze we had, the food plots and feeders are getting hit harder. I think it is only a matter of time for the shooter bucks get hungry enough to come to the bait. I dont like to pour corn on the ground because if nothing comes to it during daylight hours, then they will during the night and ruin my day hunts under my feeders. Thats just my opinion. I dont know really what else to add except you have to hunt hard every chance you get. Hunt all day or rotate your hours to see if anything will pop out.
Never done before, but always thought about it, but ride wheelers to your feeders at night to scare away any deer. Maybe they will come during the day. just an idea.
And, very important, make sure there is no corn left under the feeders after daylight hours. I started this and have seen an increase in the number of deer coming out earlier, but still no shooters only does and the occaisonal spike. good luck

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide