Forums46
Topics539,014
Posts9,744,098
Members87,136
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1093431 12/09/09 05:42 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
X2. sig

Quote:
...I seriously doubt the farmers allowing open hunting on land for hogs for several reasons: Some humans would do as much damage with four wheelers and 4x4 trucks; Some would shoot a lot more than hogs, and leave trash, and gates left open...; Some would file frivolous lawsuits over total BS; some would bring extra people that did not have permission to hunt, some would get on the wrong land and cause hard feelings with the farmers neighbors, and some would just generally be a pita...

/
Plus who wants their land to look like the other free places our "sportsman" frequent?

i.e. your local park pond, esp. after a TPWD trout release is littered, the banks of the local lakes are trashed !!

No Thanks!! As Bad if not worse than HOGS.

But that is another topic. hammer

Last edited by PHishTX; 12/09/09 05:44 PM.

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1093434 12/09/09 05:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I agree Sig!!!!

Hunters will never make a dent in the population of hogs, it doesn't work. As far as landowners having such a bad problem they should beg hunters to come hunt them for free. LMAO way to much liablity.

I rather let the army run training exercises with Apache Helo's..

I view Hogs the same way as yotes... As soon as Yotes stop leaving half eaten calves in thier moma's then I'll start caring about where my bullet hits them... as long as it hits them.

Everyone elses Ethics VS Mine... Whatever

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1093451 12/09/09 05:50 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Originally Posted By: Leonardo
There is enough BS in this post to fill Walmart parking lot. Whether the animal is considered a varmit or not doesn't mean an ethical shot is negotiable. As a responsible hunter the animal should be harvested as quick and clean as possible.

Nobody expects every animal shot to die immediately but to intentionally wound an animal so you don't have to mess with it is unethical. You guys can justify it to yourselves all you want by protecting your investment or the land owners investment.

By the way if the land owner is truly trying to protect their investment and it is costing them so much money there are other more effective ways to control population. Other than telling the deer hunter to shoot every pig he sees.

DOnt' know what you are calling BS on, since you didn't specify.... and I agreed do your best to make a clean shot....

but if you know really know of a more effective strategy to negate the effects of hog depridation, please let all of us stupid country hicks know what it is.... especially since the farmers, county, state and federal experts sure haven't found it.

The point is a deer hunter who sets in a stand less than 30 days a year is not going to protect any investment by killing hogs. If a farmer is truly that worried about his land then he can hire a professional trapper, the helicopter, or attempt to keep them off the property. So the BS in this thread is all the hunters trying to protect the investment of the land owner comes down to an excuse for making a poor shot and unethical harvest.

I shoot hogs that I never intend to eat, they do destroy pastures, and it wouldn't bother me if all of them were eradicated. Just make a clean shot in attempt to put the animal down.

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: Leonardo] #1093463 12/09/09 05:56 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
As a human being you own an animal a shot that kills it as quickly and as humanely as possible, no matter if you are killing a coyote or a deer, a hog or an elk. The thing that sets us apart from animals is our humane treatment towards all living creatures.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: Leonardo] #1093473 12/09/09 06:00 PM
B
bwk1975 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I guess we can clearly see those on here with hog problems, vs those that like to occasionally shoot a pig for meat.......

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: bwk1975] #1093522 12/09/09 06:17 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
It doesn't matter why you are killing the animal that should allow for a less than ethical shot. Shoot every one of them just do you best to try and drop them in their tracks. And if you know someone who can use the meat then make an effort to see that the animal isn't wasted.

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: jskin] #1093636 12/09/09 06:49 PM
T
texasd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: jskin
"Shoot them and let them runoff and die", that was a quote by a hunter on this forum. He was talking about hogs but I have to still disagree. I think everything deserves a quick humane kill, unless we are talking rapists and child molesters but thats another topic. Yes I have commented on other posts that are similat but I guess I respect wildlife too much. Any feedback?
sounds exactly what i would say... all i can say is buzzards need to eat too... i shoot deer so that the are DRT.. why? cause a. im gonna eat that deer, and b. cause i dont feel like tracking or loosing my meal... as for hogs? a. i shoot them cause the tear up everything, b. populate faster than some forien countries,c. they kill fawns and eat the natural foods for the species native to this area, and d. i shoot em in the gut so they arent laying in my field with my cattle where disese may spread.. i would rather them run back into the brush where i dont have to look at them... does that make me an unethical hunter? i dont think so ,cause game animals i take ethical shots... as for hogs i consider myself and ethical and efficent exterminator... a. they die, and b. the haul themselves off....

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: texasd] #1093675 12/09/09 07:01 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
IMO it does make you unethical. So your cows don't go in the woods where they can come into contact with the disease?

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: Leonardo] #1093684 12/09/09 07:03 PM
T
texasd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
IMO it does make you unethical. So your cows don't go in the woods where they can come into contact with the disease?
nope cows are in grass pastures... any other questions.. and besides i dont hunt hogs.. i just kill them so i guess i could be a unethical killer how that be?

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: texasd] #1093695 12/09/09 07:06 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: texasd
and besides i dont hunt hogs.. i just kill them so i guess i could be a unethical killer how that be?

LMAO Greatness up up

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: Leonardo] #1093696 12/09/09 07:07 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
There is enough BS in this post to fill Walmart parking lot. Whether the animal is considered a varmit or not doesn't mean an ethical shot is negotiable. As a responsible hunter the animal should be harvested as quick and clean as possible.

Nobody expects every animal shot to die immediately but to intentionally wound an animal so you don't have to mess with it is unethical. You guys can justify it to yourselves all you want by protecting your investment or the land owners investment.

By the way if the land owner is truly trying to protect their investment and it is costing them so much money there are other more effective ways to control population. Other than telling the deer hunter to shoot every pig he sees.

DOnt' know what you are calling BS on, since you didn't specify.... and I agreed do your best to make a clean shot....

but if you know really know of a more effective strategy to negate the effects of hog depridation, please let all of us stupid country hicks know what it is.... especially since the farmers, county, state and federal experts sure haven't found it.

The point is a deer hunter who sets in a stand less than 30 days a year is not going to protect any investment by killing hogs. If a farmer is truly that worried about his land then he can hire a professional trapper, the helicopter, or attempt to keep them off the property. So the BS in this thread is all the hunters trying to protect the investment of the land owner comes down to an excuse for making a poor shot and unethical harvest.

I shoot hogs that I never intend to eat, they do destroy pastures, and it wouldn't bother me if all of them were eradicated. Just make a clean shot in attempt to put the animal down.

Agree on the shot.... but if the landowner wants the hogs shot, then do you have an "ethical" obligation to shoot them for him?

Heavy hunting pressure may not eradicate the hogs, but it wil vacate them... I disagree with the idea that hunters are not making an impact, every hog killed is a plus in the battle, be it done one day a year or 365.23.

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: texasd] #1093716 12/09/09 07:18 PM
J
jskin Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I just dont know what to say about that post. I hope you are not passing those beliefs on to future hunters(Children). And yes that does make you an unethical hunter in my book. Sorry I just couldn't stay off after that post.

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: texasd] #1093723 12/09/09 07:19 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
If you want to be an ethical hunter strap down your trash and corn sacks so they wont blow out of your pick up on the way home.

As far as hogs go as long as its legal its nobody's business what you do on your own property or lease with landowner permission / direction.
People shoot deer all the time that run for quite a ways before dying. If a pig runs 20 yards or 2 miles after being shot so what, dead is dead.

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1093728 12/09/09 07:21 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Kill each and every one of them. Line up 50 and shoot or try to shoot where one bullet will kill them all. Leave them where they lay. But, when you pull the trigger, you should try to make a shot that will put down whatever animal you are shooting at as fast and as humane as possible. Don't pass up any shots, but you should try to kill anything you shoot as quickly as posssible.

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1093730 12/09/09 07:22 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This is not directed at anyone. Just an observation of some of the posts. As hunters we are a minority, there are a lot more non hunters and non gun owners than there are hunters. A lot of money and effort by the anti hunting groups and hunting could become like it is in Europe or other parts of the world.

God help the hunters if PETA and other animal activists see some of these comments. There is more negative propaganda in this thread thna some of you realize. I am on my downhill slide of life, but with some of the attitudes I see, hunting as I have known it will be extinct before some of you reach my age.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: BenBob] #1093731 12/09/09 07:22 PM
B
buckdan69 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
ok I want to add my 2 cents worth. I have trapped ,hunted, and eradicated hogs for years and every time its feasible have had my share of tamales.Most kills have been with a .22 placed between the eyes unless using dogs then a .44 mag 6 inch barrel handgun worked well. All shots made by me have been to the head around eyes or ears for a quick clean kill.If they are not too big I clean them and eat them or know someone who will . This way crops ,fences,hunters,and the hungry are all happy .I also do my best to drag off or bury all carcasses to prevent other problems.A good size pit in the ground helps and makes buzzards and crows happy along with a new place to get more hogs out of the way.

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1093743 12/09/09 07:25 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Heavy hunting pressure may not eradicate the hogs, but it wil vacate them... I disagree with the idea that hunters are not making an impact, every hog killed is a plus in the battle, be it done one day a year or 365.23.

I agree they impact them but very seldom is there amount of pressure to Control them.

3 months 3 weeks 3 days- with up to 3 litters with 8-10 piglets is a lot of hogs and fast.

Normal hunting just doesn't have the resources to get it done. But thats another agruement.

Funny a good friend use to be a hog buyer now back with the TAHC..

In meeting in S.TX the only way they have truely found a way to control has Helo's.... Landowners loved it... Until the Yote population expolded b/c of the hogs left in the field. Anybody know a effective way to pick up a 100 hogs shot in random place over 1000's of acres of S.TX brush country.. Me neither

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: PHishTX] #1093755 12/09/09 07:30 PM
J
jjandcompany Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Ah: Another cormorant Bait station mentioned by dairy queen crowd,,In thought theres no difference,hog,cormorant,fire ant,zebra muscles,asian carp,,All similar predatory species< then again mabey the hogs will eat all trash,cormorants all the trout,muscles clog up water intake,,Govt will declare it golden passport only or Endangered habitat of rare shootable minnow,, and litter would be limited to crack pipes an sharpies,an split bamboo sportsman,,may your wicker basket flow over,,

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1093766 12/09/09 07:34 PM
B
buckdan69 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
A good atv and short length of chain makes things easier for that you lazy flyers should know .

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: buckdan69] #1093780 12/09/09 07:38 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: buckdan69
A good atv and short length of chain makes things easier for that you lazy flyers should know .

In some places yes, others, Not so much... Thier isn't a suit thick enough to protect you from that brush

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: buckdan69] #1093781 12/09/09 07:38 PM
B
buckdan69 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
If theres that big of a problem I have trapped as many as 15 at a time in one trap.

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: buckdan69] #1093785 12/09/09 07:39 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
If theres that big of a problem I have trapped as many as 15 at a time in one trap.

Yelp but every professional hog trapper will tell you its only a mtter of time before the ones not caught become HOG TRAP PROOF

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: jjandcompany] #1093786 12/09/09 07:39 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: jjandcompany
Ah: Another cormorant Bait station mentioned by dairy queen crowd,,In thought theres no difference,hog,cormorant,fire ant,zebra muscles,asian carp,,All similar predatory species< then again mabey the hogs will eat all trash,cormorants all the trout,muscles clog up water intake,,Govt will declare it golden passport only or Endangered habitat of rare shootable minnow,, and litter would be limited to crack pipes an sharpies,an split bamboo sportsman,,may your wicker basket flow over,,

Who is responsible for almost everything you mentioned? We are. Some dumbass brought the pigs over here. someone introduced the carp to our waterways. Someone sells dope to make a buck. For the most part we are responsible for all of these things being here, or at least helping them spread.

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: buckdan69] #1093788 12/09/09 07:40 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

that does more harm than good a lot of times.

Re: Lets Be Ethical Hunters [Re: buckdan69] #1093790 12/09/09 07:41 PM
B
buckdan69 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Just saying there are ways to eradicate and keep the balance that is also cheaper.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide