Page 1 of 2 1 2
what shells? #1072002 12/01/09 02:10 AM
D
Ducksnbass Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Im seventeen and this is my first year to get into the ducks on my own but im injuring and lossing alot so i was wonderin what shells ya'll use?

huntin,fishin,and ladies what else is there?
Re: what shells? [Re: Ducksnbass] #1072037 12/01/09 02:28 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Anything in 3" #2 or #4 depends on my mood. I used to like the #4 better but find myself buying #2 more often this year. I prefer Kents if I can find them! But most of the time I go with the cheapest ones.

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: what shells? [Re: FowlDreams] #1072048 12/01/09 02:32 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Kent faststeel 3 inch #4 is my overall shell of choice. up

Re: what shells? [Re: Guy] #1072086 12/01/09 02:48 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: Guy
Kent faststeel 3 inch #4 is my overall shell of choice. up

Yes that's my absolute #1 shell of choice!

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: what shells? [Re: Guy] #1072092 12/01/09 02:49 AM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I really like the kents, but my weatherby isn't too fond of them. If you can afford it, buy a different couple boxes (or bum a couple from different brands from your buddies) and see what your gun likes the best. Believe it or not my gun patterns the cheap winchester shells the best. However, I reccommend anything you try be in 3" and #2 or #4

Re: what shells? [Re: Cochise] #1072184 12/01/09 03:11 AM
D
Ducksnbass Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
one more question sorry guys what choke do yall use?

Re: what shells? [Re: Ducksnbass] #1072208 12/01/09 03:16 AM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Full.

Re: what shells? [Re: Ducksnbass] #1072214 12/01/09 03:18 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I shoot IC pretty much all the time. up

Re: what shells? [Re: Guy] #1072240 12/01/09 03:22 AM
Q
QuackAttacker06 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Q
how about you go to the sporting clay range and learn to lead the ducks correctly. you are most probally just getting body shots, try to aim more for the head that is a huge vital spot as we all know.

RYaN REaDY!
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/ready06/HuntingBuddies-1-1.jpg
(Sig Pics to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: what shells? [Re: Ducksnbass] #1072241 12/01/09 03:22 AM
E
eevinrude Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
I use the remington 3" #2s and they seem to be working well for my 870. I dropped 2 geese with them this weekend. 1 at 20 yards (1 shot) and 1 at almost 40 yards (took 2 shots on that one).

I'm using an improved cylinder choke with the steel and it seems to work well.

I've posted before about the winchester xpert steel. I've broken those open and the shot is pitted, deformed and not uniform. They are the cheapest but I won't buy anymore of them. The remingtons are the next cheapest and they look pretty good. I stay on the cheap end so I cant speak to any of the more expensive brands.

Winchester #4s

Remington surshot #2s

The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. Genesis 9:2
Re: what shells? [Re: Guy] #1072242 12/01/09 03:23 AM
D
Ducksnbass Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
thanks guys =)

Re: what shells? [Re: eevinrude] #1072325 12/01/09 03:41 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
I hate to say it, but I shot up an old box of blackclouds, and they were pretty impressive with my new kicks high flyer choke. I was folding birds, instead of having them glide, or hit the water and start swimming. I cant afford to pay $25 for a box of shells though.

I normally shoot kent 3 inch #4, or winchester experts #4. my gun likes the kents more.

I shoot a kicks high flyer choke. modified steel (actually the restriction of an improved cylinder)

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
I like spoonie, his humor is dryer than my duck lease.
Re: what shells? [Re: ishootspoonies] #1072358 12/01/09 03:49 AM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Try some Federal Speed shoks. In my mod choke they edged out the Kents for pattern and still have the same velocity as Kents. The best part is that they're almost $5 cheaper a box than Kents.

If you live in Houston you're welcome to stop by and get a couple shells from a few different companies and try them out. Sure would be cheaper than buying whole boxes.

Re: what shells? [Re: Guy] #1072385 12/01/09 03:59 AM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
I shoot IC pretty much all the time. up

X2

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: what shells? [Re: devildog28] #1072386 12/01/09 03:59 AM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Federal Speed Shok 3" #3 for me. $9.99 per box.

#sigline
Re: what shells? [Re: devildog28] #1072387 12/01/09 03:59 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
It is worth mentioning that most screw in lead mod chokes = full for steel so if you go tighter be aware that you could mess up your chokes or worse yet barrel.

I am definitely a newbie and playing with shells. I have shot the cheap Win's but bought a higher priced box of Win's to see the difference. I also use a screw an extended Briley light mod choke most of the time up to this point.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: what shells? [Re: Judd] #1072567 12/01/09 05:01 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I switched from IC to Mod this weekend and noticed a difference for the better. As for shells, I'm shooting 3" #2s FPS 1550; I have both Winchester x-perts and Kent.

I need to get to the range and check the pattern. Each gun is going to be differnent and it does come down to how your gun patterns with that particular shell.

[Linked Image]
Re: what shells? [Re: Hopedale] #1072762 12/01/09 09:05 AM
D
Delta Waterfowl Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
There are several questions that should have been ask by now, but haven't.

What gun?

What shells are you using now?

What choke are you using now?

Have you patterned your current gun/ammo/choke combo?

How far away are these ducks?

What kind of ducks?

Are you shooting them passing by or cupping into the decoys?

Are they hitting the water and swimming off?

Until you answer these questions, any recommendations are just shots in the dark.

A sporting clays range is going to do little to help with ducks, it will build your confidence, but it will not establish your lead unless you use the very same shells you use duck hunting, and most ranges prohibit any shot over 7 1/2.

Where are you located? Do you have someone to help teach you how to judge ducks and distance?

If your close to Fort Worth, I'll take you hunting.

Just PM me.

Re: what shells? [Re: Delta Waterfowl] #1072833 12/01/09 01:11 PM
B
BMowatt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
shoot Kent, but I did buy some Federal, but hey I am unempoyed and need to save a buck or 2

Re: what shells? [Re: Delta Waterfowl] #1072898 12/01/09 01:54 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Delta Waterfowl

Shame on everyone who replied. I of course would have asked those questions and more.

Honestly it doesnt matter all that much. We are talking a tiny edge here or there. If you are 17 I would recommend the cheapest stuff you can buy because if you are like most 17 year olds you don't have a lot of cash laying around.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: what shells? [Re: Marcstar] #1072932 12/01/09 02:09 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Marcstar

Shame on everyone who replied. I of course would have asked those questions and more.

lol, the kid just asked a simple question, he wanted to know what shells everyone shoots, that is a fair question. I like to see what everyone is shooting as well. I been shooting more #6s this year than I ever have, about 25% of the time, and #4s the rest. My son has been shooting #6 (2 3/4 inch) for 2 years, that is his shell of choice.

Re: what shells? [Re: Guy] #1073036 12/01/09 03:08 PM
B
Boudreaux Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Kent Fast Steel with a Briely extended waterfowl choke in Mod.

Stickin' gills and Stackin' bills

In a world of compromise..... some dont....
Re: what shells? [Re: Guy] #1073053 12/01/09 03:14 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Marcstar

lol, the kid just asked a simple question, he wanted to know what shells everyone shoots, that is a fair question. I like to see what everyone is shooting as well. I been shooting more #6s this year than I ever have, about 25% of the time, and #4s the rest. My son has been shooting #6 (2 3/4 inch) for 2 years, that is his shell of choice.

Dang Guy that must be some in your face shooting... I havent shot #6 since 1988 and that was lead

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: what shells? [Re: Jeff Elder] #1073220 12/01/09 04:46 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Mostly Xpert 4s this season. Last few times out switched to 3s and 2s. I've never shot anything other than Xperts in all my waterfowl hunting.

[Linked Image]

Re: what shells? [Re: Jeff Elder] #1073226 12/01/09 04:49 PM
D
Delta Waterfowl Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Explain to me how any of the recommendations any of you made is going to help him?

He obviously wants to learn, why not teach him the why and not just the what.

He's frustrated, he respects his quarry enough to ask, why not help him instead of given him a blanket response, that MAY or MAY not cure his issues.

If he is shooting ducks at 50 yds, how is #4's going to help cure his problem, if he is shooting #1's thru a full or even mod choke at 25 yds, what does his 25 yd pattern look like, does he need 2's, 4's or 6's for his setup, what is his pattern density?

I had 27 hunts with limits in the first split, guess what, I used #3's on every hunt, some hunts a Browning TNT choke, some an Browning IC, some a Briley EXR, and some a Browning Light Mod, in a Browning Mag 12 Stalker, I hunted 4 different leases, standing timber, big water, and small water, I hunted some places multiple days in a row, and I never lost one duck, used less than 150 shells, put 4000+ miles on my Tahoe, and not once did I second guess my gun/choke/shell combo.

I shot nearly 200 patterns from February until November out of several different Invector+ choked A5's magnums using every conceivable 3" #3 or #4 shell I could find, thru the 20 or so chokes I have for them until I knew each choke's limitations.

Duck season for me isn't from November until January, it is all year long, I start preparing for the next season the day the last season closes.

I keep a log book and every year I review the previous season to see how I can step up my game, this year no Mojo Teal, jerk strings are in, more teal and grey duck decoys, no mallards, one brand of ammo in one load, 3" #3's Remington Nitro's, last year, what ever was on sale.

The game is to evolve, as Yentzen said move from the shooter stage to the sportsman stage.

Quote:
Three Types of Hunters and The Five Stages of a Sport Hunter
Denny L Vasquez

Two recent but very different studies give us an insight to those of us who enjoy the sport of hunting. Can you find yourself in one of them?

The Three Types of Hunters

Yale professor Dr Stephen Kellert, in a study of US hunters and their attitudes and characteristics, found that most hunters in North America today fall into one of three categories that he listed as

• Utilitarian/Meat Hunters (43.8%)
  • Nature Hunters (17.7%)
  • Sport Hunters (38.5%)"

The sport-hunters group is the one that the non-hunting and anti-hunting public particularly dislikes and often uses to stereotype or negatively portray all hunters and hunting. Let's take a look at Dr Kellert's categories.

Utilitarian/Meat Hunters

Hunting to obtain meat was the most frequently cited primary reason, accounting for 43.8 percent of persons who hunted ... Utilitarian/meat hunters were significantly more likely to have been raised or presently living in rural, open-country areas. Utilitarian/meat hunters also reported much greater experience with raising animals for either slaughter or non-slaughter purposes, and had fathers employed in farm-related occupations. This hunting group includes a disproportionate number of persons over 65 years of age and significantly more respondents earning less than $6,000.

Utilitarian/meat hunters appear to perceive animals largely from the perspective of their practical usefulness ... The utilitarian/meat hunter views hunting as a harvesting activity and wild animals as a harvestable crop not unlike other renewable natural resources."

Nature Hunters

Hunting for the purpose of close contact with nature was the [least often] cited primary reason for hunting, accounting for some 17.7 percent of those who hunted ... Demographically, nature hunters included significantly more persons under 30 years of age and far fewer over 65. These age characteristics may suggest possible trends in motivation for hunting. Nature hunters were also of higher socioeconomic status, as indicated by more college-educated respondents and more fathers employed in professional and business executive occupations.

Nature hunters reported by far the most adult and childhood wildlife interest, more backpacking and camping-out experience, and more bird-watching activity. Importantly, nature hunters had far higher knowledge-of-animals scale scores particularly in comparison to sport hunters.

[Nature hunters also] ... indicated strong concern and affection for all animals ... [However this affection is] ... somewhat generalized and not specifically directed at pet animals or manifest in the feeling of ‘loving’ animals. The desire for an active, participatory role in nature was perhaps the most significant aspect of the nature hunter's approach to hunting. The goal was the intense involvement with wild animals in their natural habitats. Participation as a predator was valued for the opportunities it provided to regard oneself as an integral part of nature. The hunt was appreciated for its forcing of awareness of natural phenomena organized into a coherent, goal-directed framework."

Sport Hunters

Sport hunters constitute 38.5 percent of all those who hunted ... They were significantly more likely to reside in cities, and to have been in the armed forces. Additionally, they differed from utilitarian/meat hunters in reporting far less experience raising animals for a product, and from nature hunters in reporting significantly less backpacking and bird watching activities. One outstanding characteristic was their low scores on the knowledge-of-animals scale. Interestingly, only anti-hunters, of all animal activity groups studied, had equally low knowledge scores.

It appeared that competition and mastery over animals, in the context of a sporting contest, were the most salient aspects of the sport hunter's interest in the hunting activity. This group did not reveal strong affections for animals.

The hunted animal was valued largely for the opportunities it provided to engage in a sporting activity involving mastery, competition, shooting skill and expressions of prowess. They were not items of food but trophies, something to get and display to fellow hunters. For the sport hunter, hunting was appreciated more as a human social than as an animal-oriented activity."

The Five Stages of Evolution of a Sport Hunter

As with all things in life, a hunter's perspective of his sport changes as time goes by. According to the Hunter's Education manual used by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, the five stages of a hunter's life are (a) the Shooter Stage, (b) the Limiting-Out stage, (c) the Trophy stage, (d) the Method stage, and (e) the Sportsman stage.

As the sport of hunting itself changes through the years, so do the factors that determine what "successful hunting" is. Add to this the changes that take place in each hunter's life, and things can get a bit confusing. Some of the factors that can determine or influence what kinds of hunters we become are (a) the hunter's age, (b) his hunting companions, (c) his role models, (d) his personal ethics, and (e) his and years of hunting experience. All of these affect our ideas of "success." Where a hunter fits into one of the five groups may change as he progresses in his hunting career. What stage are you in now? What stage would you like to be in?

The Shooter Stage

A hunter who is in the Shooter Stage talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to being able to "get-in some shooting." The beginning duck hunter says that he had an excellent day if he got-in a lot of shooting. The beginning deer hunter talks about the number of shooting opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of his firearm. A hunter in this stage may be a dangerous hunting partner.

The Limiting-Out Stage

A hunter who is in the Limiting-Out Stage still talks about the satisfaction of shooting. But what seems more important to him is measuring success through the killing of game and the number of birds or animals that he has shot. Limiting-out or filling a tag is his absolute measure of success. Do not let your desire to limit-out be stronger than your concern for safe behavior at all times.

The Trophy Stage

The satisfaction of a hunter in the Trophy stage is determined by the selectivity of game. A duck hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal. Shooting opportunity and skills become less important than finding and shooting the coveted trophy.

The Method Stage

When a hunter has reached the Method Stage, he has accumulated all the special equipment that he could conceivably need. Hunting has become one of the most important things in his life. His satisfaction comes from the method that enables him to take game. Taking game is important but secondary to how he takes it. This hunter studies long and hard how best to pick a blind site, how to lay-out decoys, and how to call-in waterfowl. A deer hunter goes one-on- one with a white-tail deer — studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. This hunter often handicaps himself intentionally by hunting only with black-powder firearms or bow and arrow. Bagging game, or limiting, still is a necessary part of the hunt during this phase.

The Sportsman Stage

Finally, as a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he tends to "mellow out." He now finds satisfaction in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game.

Not all sport hunters go through all these stages, or go through them in this particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several species of game to be in a different stage with regard to each species that he hunts. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen, training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly through some of these stages.

There you have it, two studies with two very different ways of looking at hunters and how we approach our sport. Does one of these categories describe you? Where are you in your hunting career now? Where would you like to be? Each of us has to decide for himself what kind of hunter he wants to be, and to be the best hunter that he can be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide