Page 1 of 2 1 2
Just an observation #1048807 11/19/09 08:32 PM
S
Sundial Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
First, let me begin by stating that I am not the great white hunter. In fact, I don't even get to deer hunt every year. However, for the times I have, I have begun to see a trend and I wanted to mention it to see what you folks think about it.

Let me present a scenario and then I can more easily get my point across than I could by typing a billion words:

Scenario: James gets on a new lease (new to him) and the guys on the lease along with the lease owner himself are running a management program. They are only shooting deer that appear to be mature and appear to be in the 150+ class B@C. Other than that, they are taking some management bucks and does. A decent 8 that would score 130 isn't taken, even though he looks to be 4 to 5 years old. He's probably not going to get bigger, but even if he does, will anyone who's on the lease now be around to take him? Will the rules change next year so that he suddenly becomes open game?

My questions are based on some observations I have made of many leases I have hunted. There is always some type of management system, or so it seems, and yet the deer never seem to get any bigger. Coyotes are killed off, spikes and plenty of "garbage bucks" are killed, but the big ones never seem to show. Then, over in the high fenced property, they are selling 180+ class hunts like bags of feed at a convenience store.

My question is this: Do these make-shift (my opinion only) management practices really make a difference in the quality of deer that are harvested? When would a lease holder ever see a reward for his efforts?

I realize the alternative would be a free for all, and like fishing, conservation is the key to future resources, however I just don't see the reward for passing on a mature buck as if you are creating some super species by doing so.

Thanks

p.s. I have the same feeling about slot lakes where the bass never get bigger though the slot has been in place for at least a decade. What's the point?

Re: Just an observation [Re: Sundial] #1048827 11/19/09 08:41 PM
B
bwk1975 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Management programs are how they get the 180 class deer in the high fence operations. They just don't have to worry about what their neighbors are doing, like a low fence operation. The genes have to be there, for a deer to be a monster. But proper management practices, along with a protein program can make them wall hangers if they don't have the monster gene.

Re: Just an observation [Re: bwk1975] #1048848 11/19/09 08:46 PM
S
Sundial Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
So you go through this procedure for how many years without seeing results?

I understand why the high fenced ranches have better numbers, but I don't understand why low fenced ranches practice trophy making when they really have no control over it. It almost seems more like a way to guarantee they have decent deer for their next lease holders to look at than to actually create better spreads. Of course some of it is for balancing, but I am not referring to that.

Re: Just an observation [Re: Sundial] #1048877 11/19/09 09:00 PM
B
B-swit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
management takes time. your not gunna see results overnight. but yes sometimes it does seem like it never really significantly improves on low fence properties. thats why they call it hunting.

Re: Just an observation [Re: B-swit] #1048910 11/19/09 09:12 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
No way I would have passed a 130" 4 or 5 year old 8. lol

Re: Just an observation [Re: cbump] #1049108 11/19/09 10:10 PM
P
pk1616 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
A 4.5 year old 8 pt 130 class would most likely be a cull, and very likely would have been a cull in previous years under most management programs. If you don't get them out early, they have years to spread those same genes, you won't see overall improvement in the herd. JMO and experience.

Re: Just an observation [Re: pk1616] #1049118 11/19/09 10:15 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
unless you are trying to pick and choose which 8pts you feel have a shot at reaching the 150-160+" mark.

Last edited by rifleman; 11/19/09 10:19 PM.
Re: Just an observation [Re: rifleman] #1049194 11/19/09 10:44 PM
P
pk1616 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Yeah, it's not an exact science. But over the years you get a good idea of those that have greater potential at a younger age. Stats will say you are wrong some of the time, you just need to be right most of the time. What I can say with certainty is it is fun to try!

Re: Just an observation [Re: rifleman] #1049202 11/19/09 10:46 PM
L
Lazy L Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Unless it's HF it's a waste of a lot of time and money. IMO

"Hey running' buddy what'll say to a twelve pack"

Re: Just an observation [Re: Lazy L] #1049236 11/19/09 10:57 PM
T
TexasVine Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
A lot can create obstacles for a low fence game management program. Size of property and adjacent land situations. Personally I would shoot a 4-5 year old 130 class 8 point. Unless the property is covered with a lot of big boys. I would consider it a cull buck at that age and amount of points.

TexasVine
[Linked Image]
Re: Just an observation [Re: TexasVine] #1049358 11/19/09 11:55 PM
J
Jdos Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Originally Posted By: TexasVine
A lot can create obstacles for a low fence game management program. Size of property and adjacent land situations. Personally I would shoot a 4-5 year old 130 class 8 point. Unless the property is covered with a lot of big boys. I would consider it a cull buck at that age and amount of points.

Exactly..im on 600 acres with 400 lowfenced to the east a 1200 highfenced to south and 600 and 1200 to the north and west and for he hillcountry the highfenced highly managed 1200 has monsters i mean monsters roaming it like cattle now it could be they brought in south texas genes or the fact theyre not hunted and feed like dogs. On my place ive seen the benefits of protein feed in every feeder and lots of water and saltlicks. I dont use all my tags every year either over the past 6yrs ive hunted it ive shot 3 8s all about 2-3yrs old and a doe. Before that the land wasnt hunted for 15yrs and deer werent feed they looked like big goats with atlers. This summer i spotted scarface a 5yrold that had the side of his mouth ripped open when he was 2yrsold and a 8 point (i almost shot him for fear he wasnt able to eat) but here we are 3yrs later and hes a 10point and the biggest deer me or my family has ever seen on the property in the 56yrs weve owned it. SO does managing deer on low fence work YES ive noticed my deer dont ever really leave the acreage b/c i see them year round occasionally. This 10 i spoke of earlier i didnt see all last yr. PLus deer arent dumb the big ones are big for a reason they go nocturnal mid sept it seems. If you cant get all the guys on your lease to practice what they preach your spinning your wheels i have no management agreement with my neighbors they shoot what they want, now there not idiots either so they dont kill there limit every year. This is truly a marathon and quite a expensive one to run but IT WORKS. Its just easier to do it behind a 7' fence. just my .02
.......Oh and if you have a 5yrold 8pt 130 that deer is by definition A CULL if not then hes trophy b/c you havent seen a better younger deer am i right? Id shoot him but only if your "certain" hes 5yrsold once again just my .02

Last edited by Jdos; 11/20/09 12:05 AM. Reason: clarification
Re: Just an observation [Re: Jdos] #1049401 11/20/09 12:19 AM
T
tkuehn5410 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I'm a huge fan of shooting mature deer. There's nothing more exciting than shooting a 7 year old deer that looks like a cow with antlers. I believe the biggest factor in management is time. If they're shooting 150" 4-5 year olds then you've got to give those deer a couple more years and some good protein, or pray for record rainfall to push them to the 160-170 mark. I'm happy to shoot 130" eight points, but when I have about 3 of those then I will want to start moving to 140's.

Re: Just an observation [Re: tkuehn5410] #1049500 11/20/09 01:12 AM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Honestly, it sounds like y'all need a new management plan. Shooting all the spikes and letting mature 130" 8 points doesn't sound like good management to me. Are y'all feeding protein? If so are you feeding enough protein? You don't want the deer to have to work for the protein to get the best results. Lots of variables.

Re: Just an observation [Re: tkuehn5410] #1049526 11/20/09 01:26 AM
jim1961 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: tkuehn5410
I'm a huge fan of shooting mature deer. There's nothing more exciting than shooting a 7 year old deer that looks like a cow with antlers. I believe the biggest factor in management is time. If they're shooting 150" 4-5 year olds then you've got to give those deer a couple more years and some good protein, or pray for record rainfall to push them to the 160-170 mark. I'm happy to shoot 130" eight points, but when I have about 3 of those then I will want to start moving to 140's.

x2

Re: Just an observation [Re: B-swit] #1049638 11/20/09 02:04 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: B-switalski
management takes time. your not gunna see results overnight. but yes sometimes it does seem like it never really significantly improves on low fence properties. thats why they call it hunting.

We have tried different methods of management over the years in Mills county but in reality if you are not high fenced it is pretty all for naught. The buck to doe ratio is important high fence but on open range like our country most of the exceptional bucks are the ones that come around during the rut and are bucks that haven't been seen prior to that day. It seems in situations such as this your best chance of seeing these monster bucks from other ranches is to have more females for them to pursue. Of course we all no feeding year round and lots of browse during the summer improve horn growth for so called home grown bucks.

Re: Just an observation [Re: KG68] #1049850 11/20/09 03:20 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I don't think you can get phenominal results on a low fence place, but you can obtain fairly positive results. We are part of 12,000 acres that form a WMA. Not everyone in there will do the right thing every time. However, the majority is making a concerted effort to pull it off most of the time and the results have been very positive considering...beats the heck out of the alternative and where it was headed.

I hate HF and prefer what may be a somewhat lesser, yet decent product, from free range as opposed to a cage... JMHO..

Re: Just an observation [Re: KG68] #1050256 11/20/09 06:28 AM
J
Jdos Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Originally Posted By: KG68

We have tried different methods of management over the years in Mills county but in reality if you are not high fenced it is pretty all for naught. The buck to doe ratio is important high fence but on open range like our country most of the exceptional bucks are the ones that come around during the rut and are bucks that haven't been seen prior to that day. It seems in situations such as this your best chance of seeing these monster bucks from other ranches is to have more females for them to pursue. Of course we all no feeding year round and lots of browse during the summer improve horn growth for so called home grown bucks.

how can you say its all for naught if your not high fenced?? Lets get real here and compare apples to apples and to tell you the truth managing lowfence and highfence and the results are like apples and oranges and you can in NO WAY expect the same results. In my case i hunt in bandera typically small hill country deer. now introduce a atleast 20% protein to your feeders and proved water during the summers specially in the hill country and you can grow deer and the deer arent forced to look for food ie: leave your area thats where the management starts youll have more deer to manage because your providing more food for them. Im not a biologist by anymeans but i read constantly and realize you cant take one persons situation and apply it to all areas all the time. I can stand watching shows like tecamote and hear that guy say its a lowfenced ranch yeah its a lowfenced ranch buffered by huge ranches practicing the same or similiar plans. NOW here is reality of my situation Will i ever see a 200lb 180 class buck roaming my ranch NO!! short of me introducing those genetics to the herd and i dont expect it nor will i do it. Will i ever see a nice 140 maybe if the whole year is perfect and thats a big maybe. A buddies family has 900 acres near del rio and theyre low fence ranch produces nice bucks yearly numerous 150s and bigger bodied deer id hate to see there feed bill for a month. So IMHO managing a lowfence ranch ISNT FOR NAUGHT you just have to have a realistic outlook on the whole situation

Re: Just an observation [Re: Jdos] #1050473 11/20/09 01:45 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Jdos I know in reality that it's not totally all for naught when in comes to game management but its frustrating sometimes. Take a look at the thread with the GW's posing with the deer killed on the highway. Two massive Van Zandt County bucks killed. This is an example of all for naught. bang

Re: Just an observation [Re: KG68] #1053015 11/21/09 08:27 AM
S
Sundial Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
I've read all of the comments and though I understand both sides of the HF vs LF argument, my observation was based more on the year to year, different lease holders with different ideas about management techniques all dwelling in the same general area situation. When Billy Bob brings his brother-in-law as a guest, and BIL shoots a 3 year old big 8 with great potential, that's a buck that, at least according to one poster above, would have made all of the years of managing worthwhile. Meanwhile, the other however many hunters on the lease are letting this creature feed for free as they plink does and management bucks (I don't like the term "cull" since it implies a low quality animal, and many aren't). So, now you have people other than the those who were indoctrinated into the ideal of raising big deer out there taking game, the same game everyone else let walk.

It's not a far fetched scenario, it happens all the time and not only on the same lease. Billy Bob could be your neighbor and his BIL doesn't give a rat's [censored] about your management idea, he sees a deer and wants to kill it, or he wants his kid to kill it. How can you ever manage that? It's not your land, but your feeders and your lease holders have raised these deer yet your neighbors who haven't done so much as put out a salt lick are taking the rewards.

Sorry, but in all of my years being on and around leases like I mention, I have yet to see the "big one" step out, and I don't know anyone else who has either. Like someone else says, they come by during the rut, but the management you do doesn't bring or keep them, and if you happen to be there when they show, maybe you get him, but if Billy Bob sees him first, well...

I am not suggesting that management is futile, only that I have never seen any evidence to suggest free roaming herds can be managed from one property. Perhaps it's out there, or if the property is 50K acres, I can see deer never straying far, but on the 5K spreads, surely deer exist on the fringes that pop in and out regularly, they feed and they leave. They don't see the boundaries.

However, I still practice the management since it's pretty much ingrained into my psyche by now. So, instead of approaching a hunt with a target in mind, it's a mood game and a game of compromises. Last day of the hunt? Ok, now the deer that wasn't good enough yesterday is good enough. I see it that way too, I don't know how not to.

I also question many people's ability to score an animal on the hoof, but that's another topic altogether.

Re: Just an observation [Re: B-swit] #1053018 11/21/09 08:37 AM
S
Sundial Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S

I wasn't talking about hunting, but about management of the lease.

They also call it hunting on HF ranches, though the results are generally better (at least in terms of antler scores). More pricey too though, which brings up a good point: If you spend years and thousands on a lease just to get deer to a quality level, what happens when the land owner realizes he has a few big boys running around? Is he going to now raise his fees to the point where you are penalized? Does anyone know of a scenario where a property's output has improved to the point where the land owner decided the rates had to go up to keep up with the Jones'? If so, what was done about it if anything? Kinda like spending money on your home just to get penalized with higher property taxes.

Re: Just an observation [Re: Jdos] #1053021 11/21/09 08:41 AM
S
Sundial Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Jdos
Originally Posted By: TexasVine

Exactly..im on 600 acres with 400 lowfenced to the east a 1200 highfenced to south and 600 and 1200 to the north and west and for he hillcountry the highfenced highly managed 1200 has monsters i mean monsters roaming it like cattle now it could be they brought in south texas genes or the fact theyre not hunted and feed like dogs. On my place ive seen the benefits of protein feed in every feeder and lots of water and saltlicks. I dont use all my tags every year either over the past 6yrs ive hunted it ive shot 3 8s all about 2-3yrs old and a doe. Before that the land wasnt hunted for 15yrs and deer werent feed they looked like big goats with atlers. This summer i spotted scarface a 5yrold that had the side of his mouth ripped open when he was 2yrsold and a 8 point (i almost shot him for fear he wasnt able to eat) but here we are 3yrs later and hes a 10point and the biggest deer me or my family has ever seen on the property in the 56yrs weve owned it. SO does managing deer on low fence work YES ive noticed my deer dont ever really leave the acreage b/c i see them year round occasionally. This 10 i spoke of earlier i didnt see all last yr. PLus deer arent dumb the big ones are big for a reason they go nocturnal mid sept it seems. If you cant get all the guys on your lease to practice what they preach your spinning your wheels i have no management agreement with my neighbors they shoot what they want, now there not idiots either so they dont kill there limit every year. This is truly a marathon and quite a expensive one to run but IT WORKS. Its just easier to do it behind a 7' fence. just my .02
.......Oh and if you have a 5yrold 8pt 130 that deer is by definition A CULL if not then hes trophy b/c you havent seen a better younger deer am i right? Id shoot him but only if your "certain" hes 5yrsold once again just my .02

Well, unless you can run him down and get his jawbone, you probably cannot be absolutely certain of his age. You can see the signs in his body, and if you have year by year footage or memory of him since birth, perhaps... otherwise you are playing a guessing game, and most guesses never get challenged. If someone tells you they shot a mature 8 at 200 yards, you ask "how old was he" and they say "he was 5 1/2 years old", I don't know about you, but I wouldn't continue to pursue it by asking them how they knew that at 200 yards through a Bushnell 3x9. If it's anything at all like people guess fish weight, it's 25% or more off much of the time. Then again, the difference between a 6 year old and a 5 year old, both same spread, is not nearly as significant as the difference between a 5 and a 4 year old, both same spread. That's my opinion. At least in terms of potential.

Which brings up even another point: Do you wait for all decent spreads to be 5 or 6 before realizing they are maxed out? Also (and I brought this up the other day in camp), why shoot management does after the rut? How do you know who has the big one inside? Just curious, what am I missing?

Re: Just an observation [Re: Sundial] #1053046 11/21/09 11:17 AM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Donnie
I've read all of the comments and though I understand both sides of the HF vs LF argument, my observation was based more on the year to year, different lease holders with different ideas about management techniques all dwelling in the same general area situation. When Billy Bob brings his brother-in-law as a guest, and BIL shoots a 3 year old big 8 with great potential, that's a buck that, at least according to one poster above, would have made all of the years of managing worthwhile. Meanwhile, the other however many hunters on the lease are letting this creature feed for free as they plink does and management bucks (I don't like the term "cull" since it implies a low quality animal, and many aren't). So, now you have people other than the those who were indoctrinated into the ideal of raising big deer out there taking game, the same game everyone else let walk.

It's not a far fetched scenario, it happens all the time and not only on the same lease. Billy Bob could be your neighbor and his BIL doesn't give a rat's [censored] about your management idea, he sees a deer and wants to kill it, or he wants his kid to kill it. How can you ever manage that? It's not your land, but your feeders and your lease holders have raised these deer yet your neighbors who haven't done so much as put out a salt lick are taking the rewards.

Sorry, but in all of my years being on and around leases like I mention, I have yet to see the "big one" step out, and I don't know anyone else who has either. Like someone else says, they come by during the rut, but the management you do doesn't bring or keep them, and if you happen to be there when they show, maybe you get him, but if Billy Bob sees him first, well...

I am not suggesting that management is futile, only that I have never seen any evidence to suggest free roaming herds can be managed from one property. Perhaps it's out there, or if the property is 50K acres, I can see deer never straying far, but on the 5K spreads, surely deer exist on the fringes that pop in and out regularly, they feed and they leave. They don't see the boundaries.

However, I still practice the management since it's pretty much ingrained into my psyche by now. So, instead of approaching a hunt with a target in mind, it's a mood game and a game of compromises. Last day of the hunt? Ok, now the deer that wasn't good enough yesterday is good enough. I see it that way too, I don't know how not to.

I also question many people's ability to score an animal on the hoof, but that's another topic altogether.

That is just a chance we have to take managing a low fence place. We have to hope the deer either stays on our property, or hope he is weary enough the typical hunter isn't going to get a shot at him.

The one thing I can be certain of is, if you shoot him when he is young, he won't ever get any bigger.

Re: Just an observation [Re: JDShellnut] #1053812 11/21/09 10:17 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Donnie, if I were you I'd quit managing for the really big one and spend some bucks to go to an operation where they can almost guarantee you a 180" buck.

Personally, when the day comes that a 130" buck doesn't get me excited, I'll quit deer hunting.

Re: Just an observation [Re: JDShellnut] #1054573 11/22/09 04:25 AM
S
Sundial Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: adam_p
Originally Posted By: Donnie

That is just a chance we have to take managing a low fence place. We have to hope the deer either stays on our property, or hope he is weary enough the typical hunter isn't going to get a shot at him.

The one thing I can be certain of is, if you shoot him when he is young, he won't ever get any bigger.

That's true unless it's my buddy, then the deer would just have a nice scar. laugh

Re: Just an observation [Re: postoak] #1054575 11/22/09 04:26 AM
S
Sundial Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: postoak
Donnie, if I were you I'd quit managing for the really big one and spend some bucks to go to an operation where they can almost guarantee you a 180" buck.

Personally, when the day comes that a 130" buck doesn't get me excited, I'll quit deer hunting.

If I was you I would send me the money to go on such a hunt. laugh

Who says a 130" doesn't get me excited? I cannot shoot it, but it does excite me.

I don't care for canned hunts. I wouldn't pay big bucks to shoot big bucks. I don't see the benefit. I am not an antler hunter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide