Print Thread
tagging an East Texas doe #1042999 11/17/09 06:56 PM
W
wcromer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
This is my first year to hunt on lumber co.land and I am not an expert on the rules and regulations.The guy that has hunted our lease for 10 years told my adult son that when we kill a doe all we need to do in attach the permit that the timber co. gave us,and we do not tag her with a tag from our liceans,is this correct.I have looked in the game book but cant find anything about this.

Re: tagging an East Texas doe [Re: wcromer] #1043014 11/17/09 07:01 PM
P
pk1616 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
I'm assuming you are talking about an MLD or LAMPS permit. This is out of the annual:

MANAGED LANDS DEER (MLD) PERMITS: Permits issued to landowners with a TPWD-approved Wildlife Management Plan. MLD permits allow hunters, at the discretion of the landowner or agent, to exceed the county bag limit and (in some cases) to hunt during an extended season. All deer taken on a property for which MLD permits have been issued must be tagged with the appropriate type of MLD permit. NOTE: No license log entry or tag from a hunting license is required for deer killed under a MLD permit (see license log requirement above). For more information about Wildlife Management Plans, landowners should call TPWD at (512) 389-4505.

LAMPS (Landowner Assisted Management Permit System): LAMPS permits allow antlerless deer to be taken in counties where antlerless harvest is by permit only during the entire season or portion of a season. For more information, landowners should contact TPWD at (409) 489-0823 or visit LAMPS. All antlerless deer taken on a LAMPS property must be tagged with a LAMPS permit. This does not include antlerless deer taken during the Archery Only Season or Muzzleloader Only Season. NOTE: No hunting license log or hunting license tag is required for deer killed under a LAMPS permit.

Re: tagging an East Texas doe [Re: wcromer] #1043016 11/17/09 07:02 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
If it is MLD land then I am pretty sure all you need is the permit! Thats the way it was when I hunted MLD land a few years ago!

If it is anything other than MLD land the the deer better have your license tag on it along with any doe permit that may be issued to that property!

Re: tagging an East Texas doe [Re: pk1616] #1043030 11/17/09 07:05 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: pk1616

LAMPS (Landowner Assisted Management Permit System): LAMPS permits allow antlerless deer to be taken in counties where antlerless harvest is by permit only during the entire season or portion of a season. For more information, landowners should contact TPWD at (409) 489-0823 or visit LAMPS. All antlerless deer taken on a LAMPS property must be tagged with a LAMPS permit. This does not include antlerless deer taken during the Archery Only Season or Muzzleloader Only Season. NOTE: No hunting license log or hunting license tag is required for deer killed under a LAMPS permit.

Thats intresting!

So I guess you dont have to tag a doe with both tags anymore! confused2

Its been 10+ years since we hunted a place with doe permits but I know we always tagged them with both tags!

Re: tagging an East Texas doe [Re: JCB] #1043042 11/17/09 07:11 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
If its MLD just attach the permit. If they are the same as they were last season, you don't even have to go through the trouble of digging out your license to look at your license #... just write down your DL # and go on about life (if you have a DL). If you're taking it to a processor...it is easier to go ahead and write down the hunting license #. Also do not log the animal on the back of your license b/c a logged deer with no tag missing can be an interesting situation.

Re: tagging an East Texas doe [Re: rifleman] #1043239 11/17/09 08:20 PM
H
HAWKEYE911 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
ALSO CONSIDER THIS,I HUNT IN A COUNTY ON LAMPS LAND AND DURING THE FIRST 2 WEEKS OF THE SEASON,I CAN KILL 2 DOES OR ANTLERLESS WITH THE TAGS ON MY LICENSE,THEN FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON,I USE THE DOE PERMITS GIVEN TO US BY THE LEASE HOLDER.

Support Your Local Junkyard Dawgs M/C
Re: tagging an East Texas doe [Re: HAWKEYE911] #1043316 11/17/09 08:49 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: GYPSYHAWKEYE
ALSO CONSIDER THIS,I HUNT IN A COUNTY ON LAMPS LAND AND DURING THE FIRST 2 WEEKS OF THE SEASON,I CAN KILL 2 DOES OR ANTLERLESS WITH THE TAGS ON MY LICENSE,THEN FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON,I USE THE DOE PERMITS GIVEN TO US BY THE LEASE HOLDER.

On the same property? I thought once you went LAMPS or MLD that was the limits and tags were out... not in addition too.

I know in the past we were on a place with ONE LAMPS tag, and it "over-ruled" or trumped what your license and the Outdoor Annual said.

Re: tagging an East Texas doe [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1043503 11/17/09 09:48 PM
C
craige Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

On the same property? I thought once you went LAMPS or MLD that was the limits and tags were out... not in addition too.

I know in the past we were on a place with ONE LAMPS tag, and it "over-ruled" or trumped what your license and the Outdoor Annual said.

Re: tagging an East Texas doe [Re: HAWKEYE911] #1043552 11/17/09 10:04 PM
F
firefightnjoey Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F

If you have a LAMPS property, you lose those 2 weeks of the season for taking 2 doe. The only benefit in this case is you can use the LAMPS all season long and not use your doe tags on your license. So, if you are lucky enough to hunt on another property, you can still take doe using your tags on the license on that other property.

Alot of these landowners had LAMPS permits prior to the counties moving to doe days for the first couple weeks of the season, which is rather recent for a lot of counties. That is what happened for our lease in Shelby county. We finally had to tell the landowner to quite the LAMPS program so we could take our full allotment of does.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide