Forums46
Topics538,480
Posts9,737,546
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: Texas Dan] #1023397 11/09/09 02:01 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Communicate effectively first.... the other ideas however cute, are generally bad.

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1023400 11/09/09 02:04 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
We have one stand on a fenceline, facing in toward a canyon. The neighbors have one 200 yards farther down the fence, facing inward to a canyon on their side. I left a business card in a baggy zip tied to top wire of the fence.... both stands are tremendously remote and require a 20 min four wheeler ride and 5-10 walking after that... we're not bothering each other, and there's a ridge between us...

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: raiderJ] #1023446 11/09/09 02:23 PM
F
ffread Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Just my opinion but would you rather him have it about 100 yards into his property and then shooting back into where yall hunt? I would rather them put it right on the fence line and shoot back into their place, a lot safer. On the other hand watch him, some people will shoot across the fence, now thats some bull chit. As far as if he is a good honest hunter there is nothing wrong with hunting a fence line in my book, deer move around a lot so you are probably going to see some of each others deer anyways. Thats just my two cents and no I dont have a stand on anybody's fence line.

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: raiderJ] #1023518 11/09/09 02:53 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
If I buy the land, I can put my stands and feeders wherever I want as long as it is on my land. I am not going to shoot across the fence, I promise, because I do not want someone doing the same to me. Once again, I would rather have someone with a blind on the fence line shooting back into their own property rather than someone 50 yards into their own property shooting towards my property. Most fences have roads down them. See how much cooperation you get when you ask someone not to drive down that road during deer season. Sure, if wishing would get something done, I would wish and hope that no one hunts on any of the property around me, but wishes do not come true. I am sorry, but if it is my land, I can pretty much do whatever I want on my land. I amy not like what you are doing on your lease, but I have to understand it is just that, YOUR LEASE. A lot of this other stuff is going to bring about retaliation of some sort and I have found out that there are a lot of crazy people in this world.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: BenBob] #1023677 11/09/09 04:13 PM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
One of our best stands in right on a fenceline. We put it right on the fence and actually screwed the back window closed so there is never any question about it. Of course the back is a thicket on their side, so you couldn't see anything back there anyway. From the stand you can see down our side of the fenceline in both directions.

Looking straight out the front window of the stand, there is a cedar covered hill on the left and a brushy creek on the right. The open area straight on front of the stand is a wide, flat expanse that grows some of the best food plot around.

We thought about putting the stand in the middle about 100 yards off the fence, but decided that backed up to the fence would be better as we are always shooting away from the fence.

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: MELackey] #1023686 11/09/09 04:19 PM
C
cody Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
We all know that it's perfectly legal. It's just sketchy as heck to do so. The blind on our fence line has a chair in it and he sits facing our side of the fence. Tell me what kind of sense that makes?

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: cody] #1023823 11/09/09 05:05 PM
K
KBTXHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I would just let him know that if he shoots a deer, he better hope it's DRT, cuz you don't have to let him come across the fence to get it.

Low Expectations Championship Smokers
"Look Good Doin' It..."
Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: KBTXHunter] #1024049 11/09/09 06:21 PM
A
AcesAnEights Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Fence line hunting is as weak as it comes.
We got to the lease on Friday and were checking the feeders, and sure enough, about 300 yards behind my feeder there is a new feeder on the lease over. Went back and checked and he has a pop up setup not far from it. There is a creek about half way between that the deer travel. There is no cover on their lease, so they are hunting ours.
Lease behind us has changed hands multiple times since we have been there the past 7 seasons. We have some old, crappy plywood blinds around the lease that we are just going to stick over near his feeder.
And there is no way he will get a pass to track any deer that jumps our lease.

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: AcesAnEights] #1024125 11/09/09 06:56 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
How far from a fence can you set up a blind and be a good ol' boy? Is there an etiquette book out there that tells me all of this? What else can I not do on the acreage I bought? Are we worried about getting shot or are we worried about someone shooting across the fence or are we worried about a deer jumping the fence after it is shot.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: BenBob] #1024132 11/09/09 06:58 PM
A
AcesAnEights Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
I would not have a problem with a blind on the line, but there is no way if he missed, that his bullet would not cross property lines.

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: LonestarCobra] #1025502 11/10/09 02:44 AM
Y
yukons95 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Y
Right on! There is nothing you can do and if you start pooping placing sheets or putting a blind next to it and trying to talk during hunting times. You are just ruining your hunting also! And might bring in the owners in it and the next thing you know your not hunting there either. The best thing to do is just ask if he could move it if not oh well! We have the same problem in the lease next to us, it has been there for over 15 yrs. So far no problems.

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: yukons95] #1026490 11/10/09 04:23 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
I think after you talk to the guys and meet them you probably would not be worried about it. I agree on small places I'd rather have them facing in than facing out shooting at us. I don't see a problem so much with placement, as I do with ethics (ethics=what you do when no one is watching).

If I was in that stand, you and your deer would be safe. But I guess there's always someone that ruins the idea for everyone. I'd rather get along and have a mutual agreement about how to hunt, what to hunt, and about crossing the fence for wounded game, than poop in their blind and wonder what they will do to you in reprisal.

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1026517 11/10/09 04:30 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I don't think a blind on the fenceline is nearly as invasive as a feeder. I have a blind that's technically on the fenceline, but it only faces directly back into my property. i.e. I could not take a shot that would be even remotely in the neighbor's direction (there's also heavy brush/thicket right across the fence that the neighbor's couldn't walk through if they tried). As long as he's not shooting at your piece, I don't really see the problem.

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: Stax] #1026672 11/10/09 05:27 PM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Yeah, it can be a crappie place to put a blind, but it may also be the ONLY place to put a blind to safely hunt their side of an area without shooting across property lines. Communication is always the fist resort. If commuication doesn't work, hang some game cameras, working or not, in plain sight accompanied by some "No Tresspassing" signs, and paint the tops of the fence posts purple or paint purple stripes around tree-trunks within easy view from the property line, between 4 and 5 feet off the ground. That'll make 'em think at least twice about crossing your fence, if that's even their intention. Make sure they have a number to call before they persue wounded game onto your lease. That way one of y'all will be there to check out the situation, and they can't say they didn't know who to call should they get caught trespassing. If neither of those work, and once you know that they know you're un-happy with the situation and they have made no attempt at a resolution, you might put a similar stand on YOUR side of the fence straight across from theirs. That way nobody can hunt either side of the fence but their own. That sounds kinda' childish and I'd say that would be a last resort. Two men sitting that close together with rifles and a coupla' axes to grind seldom ends good.

As for the acts of reprisal mentioned, as much fun as it may sound, some of them would be called hunter harassment, which is definitely illegal. From reading the regulation it doesn't seem to matter if you're doing the harassing from your own side of the fence or not. Class B Misdemeanor. It's Texas Parks and Wildlife Code Section 62.0125, if anyone else is interested in reading it.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: KG68] #1026804 11/10/09 06:19 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: KG68
Originally Posted By: Brandon A
Ive had a similiar situation, except the guys blind wasnt on the fence line, his feeder was, with his blind facing it. there is no way he can shoot a deer under his feeder without the bullet crossin the fence, wanna know how i reacted?? i hunted the other part of the 600 acres...and let the douche have it. i agree, its a crappy move, but if they wanna do it, let em have it. just not worth tickin people off if u ask me.

Brandon that is what I addressed above. If you have a dangerous situation all you do is contact your landowner explain this situation and he will contact the neighboring landowner and have it moved. Landowners are aware of the legalities when it comes to negligence in lawsuits if someone is hurt or killed.

i dont hunt a lease, my grandpa is the landowner and he would tell me to go fix the problem by myself.

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: Closed Traverse] #1026818 11/10/09 06:24 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I have a question, what if a guy didnt put up ablind, but went out there, and sat under a tree on the fenceline every evening and morning hunting deer, would u get all riled up about thta???? probably not, because u would never know!

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: raiderJ] #1027000 11/10/09 07:22 PM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
just set up a meeting with surrounding land owners and politly and rationally discuss all the issues?

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: Cody Malone] #1029938 11/11/09 07:50 PM
B
BaylorChase Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Get a slingshot and some mothballs and shoot them towards his blind and feeder.

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: KBTXHunter] #1029960 11/11/09 07:58 PM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: KBTXHunter
I would just let him know that if he shoots a deer, he better hope it's DRT, cuz you don't have to let him come across the fence to get it.

Yea, sept you can't deny him, your just on a lease not the property owner.

the man at the top of the mountain didn't fall up it
Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: rstewlandman] #1030051 11/11/09 08:32 PM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Yes you can deny him access. You're telling me that if you lease property you can't tell the neighbors not to come onto your lease? They'd have to show up with the land owner himself to get access if I didn't want them on the property for whatever reason.

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 11/11/09 08:42 PM.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: Slow Drifter] #1030355 11/11/09 10:20 PM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
if they have land owner permission you as a lease holder cannot deny access, thats what I am sayin

the man at the top of the mountain didn't fall up it
Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: rstewlandman] #1031114 11/12/09 02:41 AM
R
RobertY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I was just recently involved in this EXACT situation, but I was the guy that put up the "new" blind. So first things first..Who's blind was there first and was your blind visable from the other side of the fence (bow blinds can be tough to see)? Second, have you even SPOKEN with the guy? And lastly, will it truely effect your hunting?

Here was my deal:
I setup a blind and feeder parallel to a fence line. The land on the other side of the fence was thick with trees. This opening morning a truck pull up 100 yards from me and dumps off a hunter. I crap myself. After the hunt I whistled for him, turns out it was a young girl (too young, simmer down). Her dad came by and we spoke for several minutes. Turns out he had that blind there for 14 years and this years rain simply covered it up with over growth. He said he had no problem with me there and not to worry about it. I moved it anyways, because I am the newer hunter. The spot was awesome, but, he holds a sort of seniority over my new butt. Its not worth the arguement.

IMO this is what I would do in your scenario:

If your blind is the newer of the two, simply move back from your position or find a new spot. OR
Talk to the guy, say "hey, I was wondering if you noticed our blind prior to setting up yours" If he says "yes" then ask him if he wouldn't mind moving it a bit further away and you'll do the same just to develop a little more space.

When I got all anxious about my situation I had to stop and realize: 99% of the hunters out here are just like me, grew up hunting, true texan with the ability to bullshit their way out of anything. I garuntee if you just lean on the fence and have a quick conversation with the guy you'll settle it.

Edit: On a side note..nothing illegal is beind done here. Also, I would never dream of doing ANYTHING to another man's property, no matter how shitty he is for doing this. Remember we all share one thing in common in hunting....everyone is armed.

Last edited by RobertYuras; 11/12/09 02:43 AM.
Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: RobertY] #1031591 11/12/09 05:15 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Good post. My buddy has blind setup maybe 15 yards from the neighbors but the feeder is the complete opposite direction. Blind has been there 10 years and no one ever hunted the other property and he didn't care. He sold it and first thing the new guys do is put up big no tresspassing signs facing the blind. Kinda funny. Just talk to the guy. Btw, wish I knew it was for sale! Killer deal they got but in bfe.

Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: Txduckman] #1031754 11/12/09 12:14 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Right wrong ethical or not, a person can put up a blind and feeder anywhere and in any manner they choose and they're nothing you can do about it. Any efforts to damage his equipment would be nothing more than vandalism and some of the other suggestions here are nothing more than hunter harassment. I have a similar situation on my place where the feeder is in between the blind and my place and in both case's I have a blind and feeder back in the brush in line with the shooter. These 2 blinds were viewed by the game warden and he told me what I already knew "nothing you can do about it". But he did tell the owners of these 2 blinds that they're setting themselves up for a Trespassing with a projectile violation and also a Reckless endangerment charge since it's on record that they have prior warning by him.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Need some advise on blinds on bordering fences [Re: HWY_MAN] #1032041 11/12/09 03:17 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Our neighbor got some new leasees. And we found stand and feeder on fenceline.

We put this up so he'd see it when he checked his cattle. smile

(We have a great relationship with our neighbor.) smile
The stand and feeder were gone next time the guys came down to the lease.

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide