Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026622 11/10/09 05:06 PM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: Dan in Spring
Originally Posted By: bigdaddy590
My dad and I both use tape to mark our way on our own lease. Does this make us any less "wood savvy?" Taking the time to mark the path of least resistance to a handmade ground blind off the beaten trail makes me no more woodsy than the person who has a stand on the side of a trail and uses his headlights to get to their stand. Just like you using a compass to guide yourself around makes you no more woodsy than myself.

What I find funny Dan is that you are aggravated "with so many apparently becoming dependant on something to guide them with such ease,." Now I will agree that a compass is one of the more primitive ways of finding direction, however don't you think that there are some out there that would call you an idiot for having to use "something to guide you with such ease" when the sun is out all day long? Just trying to put it in perspective.

I can understand getting agitated over someone "scenting up" your area if you believe that it is a big deal (personally I don't.) Maybe you should take some time to teach your partner how to be "woods savvy" and not get irritated at him. Maybe he didn't have some one to teach him how to use a compass... Just think about it.

A solid response no doubt.

Yes, thinking back, I should have taken the time to walk my partner over to his stand that morning and showed it to him. But that seems more like something you would have done for a youngster, not an adult.

As shown by some of the comments made here, it's seldom easy to get past the male ego so that a guy will recognize when he doesn't know how to walk 50 yards in a straight line without needing something to show him the way. So for that reason, I'll probably pick up some of these stickers and put them out for him to use the next time we hunt that area.

Dan.....do you also light your campfire buy using two rocks? Just because someone may not feel the need to remain primitive in their methods does not or should not say they lack woodsman skills....It's like a CPA using a computer program to efficiently perform his tasks....does this make him less of a CPA because he does not use a pencil and scratch pad?.....I think not...

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: cameron00] #1026630 11/10/09 05:08 PM
L
Lazy L Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: cameron00
If you're on public land, you don't have the right to tell anyone their business.

I plan on teaching my kids not to whine like spoiled brats, if you catch my drift.

+1

Dan I think you are one of those men that have a certain way of doing things, which is fine, but you frown on someone for doing something that you don't agree with. I have known people like this and they live lonely lives.

The goal is not to get lost, so what if one mans method differs from another, take the time to teach someone, instead of coming here to whine.

"Hey running' buddy what'll say to a twelve pack"

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1026653 11/10/09 05:18 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe
I see no excuse for a grown man, who has called himself a "hunter" for any length of time, to require bread crumbs to find his way to his stand.

And I see no excuse for a grown man (or anyone for that matter) who calls himself a hunter for any length of time to intentionally create potential dangers for other hunters that could result in someone getting hurt or worse just because they don't agree with or approve of their chosen method of navigation.

I think you took my attempt at a little humor too seriously.

But again, I would hope any experienced hunter need not depend so greatly on such convenience.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Lazy L] #1026665 11/10/09 05:23 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: WhiskyD
If you're on public land, you don't have the right to tell anyone their business.

I plan on teaching my kids not to whine like spoiled brats, if you catch my drift.

+1

Dan I think you are one of those men that have a certain way of doing things, which is fine, but you frown on someone for doing something that you don't agree with. I have known people like this and they live lonely lives.

The goal is not to get lost, so what if one mans method differs from another, take the time to teach someone, instead of coming here to whine.

You may have hit on a key disconnect between myself and others here.

I don't see it as wanting everyone to follow "my" methods. Rather, I recognize certain bits of knowledge as being something that "every" hunter should know. That is how this "core knowledge" was first first presented to me. It's why I feel so strongly that dads be able to teach these basic concepts to their sons and daughters, and make sure they routinely use it. It becomes very difficult for them to learn it, and for others to teach them, once they become adults.

The same debate can be made for hunting skills. I mean, how many dads today carry the basic hunting skills that led prior generations to take deer without the use of food plots or feeders. If you think trying to get someone to use a compass more often will get them hot under the collar, don't even try to suggest they put forth more effort than waiting for something to show up at their feeder.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026704 11/10/09 05:37 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Like alot of folks here all i can say is wow! Im one of those guys who marks his way to a stand if im in a area i dont visit often. I use small pieces of toilet paper and when im done huntin it the paper is biodegradeable and wont last after the first good rain and ya never know it might come in handy for something else! LOL.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Hoytman] #1026725 11/10/09 05:42 PM
C
cody2422 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I forgot to mention that I went to the gun range the other day to make sure my gun was still on site before I headed to the field this weekend, two shots, both "paper" kill shots, ready to go! Ha, just messing with you, Dan, I enjoy some of your posts, some of them aggrevate, some make you think.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026772 11/10/09 06:01 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Trail marking was a woodsman and native american skill long before GPS and compasses. Even if trail marking as it once was has been reduced to tacks on a tree, there is no reason one should not be able to incorporate the age old art of true woodsmanship in trail marking with the modern convenience of the computer age GPS.

I take great pride in my woodsmanship. Roaming the woods is part of my life. I often live off the land on my hunting trips. I have had years where I trapped and years where I ran with a pack of hounds three nights a week. If in daylight I have been known to mark my trail with older methods such as sticks and stones, but for nighttime I use the flourescent twisty ties. They are easier to remove when I am done than tacks. I do of course utilize a gps and compass at times. I once taught orienteering at a scoutmasters camp. But in dense woods especially if I am traveling a long distance, I'm sorry but those markers in my headlight to mark trail turns and hazards sure can get me to my stand or camp faster and safer.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026793 11/10/09 06:14 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

+1

The same debate can be made for hunting skills. I mean, how many dads today carry the basic hunting skills that led prior generations to take deer without the use of food plots or feeders. If you think trying to get someone to use a compass more often will get them hot under the collar, don't even try to suggest they put forth more effort than waiting for something to show up at their feeder.

By this same logic, I'm guessing you use spears and rocks only. Certainly not a firearm with a scope. Nah, that's for softies.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026807 11/10/09 06:21 PM
L
Lazy L Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L

+1

Dan I think you are one of those men that have a certain way of doing things, which is fine, but you frown on someone for doing something that you don't see with. I have known people like this and they live lonely lives.

I don't see it as wanting everyone to follow "my" methods. Rather, I recognize certain bits of knowledge as being something that "every" hunter should know. That is how this "core knowledge" was first first presented to me. It's why I feel so strongly that dads be able to teach these basic concepts to their sons and daughters, and make sure they routinely use it. It becomes very difficult for them to learn it, and for others to teach them, once they become adults.

The same debate can be made for hunting skills. I mean, how many dads today carry the basic hunting skills that led prior generations to take deer without the use of food plots or feeders. If you think trying to get someone to use a compass
more often will get them hot under the collar, don't even try to suggest they put forth more effort than waiting for something to show up at their feeder.

So did these men that tought you to learn your "surroundings" teach you to use that GPS you keep in your back pocket?

"Hey running' buddy what'll say to a twelve pack"

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Sniper John] #1026838 11/10/09 06:40 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Trail marking was a woodsman and native american skill long before GPS and compasses. Even if trail marking as it once was has been reduced to tacks on a tree, there is no reason one should not be able to incorporate the age old art of true woodsmanship in trail marking with the modern convenience of the computer age GPS.

I take great pride in my woodsmanship. Roaming the woods is part of my life. I often live off the land on my hunting trips. I have had years where I trapped and years where I ran with a pack of hounds three nights a week. If in daylight I have been known to mark my trail with older methods such as sticks and stones, but for nighttime I use the flourescent twisty ties. They are easier to remove when I am done than tacks. I do of course utilize a gps and compass at times. I once taught orienteering at a scoutmasters camp. But in dense woods especially if I am traveling a long distance, I'm sorry but those markers in my headlight to mark trail turns and hazards sure can get me to my stand or camp faster and safer.

Good post.

Still, such markings were probably used primarily in the absence of the roads and maps that make it so much easier for us to travel today?

Who knows, perhaps GPS units for the truck or car that talk to us, will soon make more people clueless when it comes to reading a map.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: mike0513] #1026865 11/10/09 06:49 PM
T
TexasVine Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I think the post is somewhat provocative. There are definately a broad range of skill levels on this forum and out in the field. I think that especially on public Land you will see a broad range of skills sets. I think that a lot of folks can not or will not learn advanced skills for various reasons but will go out and hunt. I play golf and it's the same out there on the course. Go to a public course and you will see a lot of lowered skilled players, less on a private course. It's easy to get frustrated at folks less skilled than you in just about anything. The nice thing about this forum is it allows for opinions and opinions of opinions (Did I say that right?). This by all means is not a dumb or stupid post even though I do not agree with some of it. The "legalizing Road Hunting" in my opinion was.

Last edited by TexasVine; 11/10/09 07:01 PM.

TexasVine
[Linked Image]
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: TexasVine] #1026932 11/10/09 07:07 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Oh yeah, this is way better than road hunting

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1026933 11/10/09 07:07 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
road hunting is legal...... until you get caught

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: TexasVine] #1026937 11/10/09 07:08 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TexasVine
I think the post is somewhat provocative. There are definately a broad range of skill levels on this forum and out in the field. I think that especially on public Land you will see a broad range of skills sets. I think that a lot of folks can not or will not learn advanced skills for various reasons but will go out and hunt. I play golf and it's the same out there on the course. Go to a public course and you will see a lot of lowered skilled players, less on a private course. It's easy to get frustrated at folks less skilled than you in just about anything. The nice thing about this forum is it allows for opinions and opinions of opinions (Did I say that right?). This by all means is not a dumb or stupid post even though I do not agree with some of it. The "legalizing Road Hunting" in my opinion was.

I think this is one of the better posts on this thread.

I also see some of rationalizing in some of the other posts.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: TexasVine] #1026966 11/10/09 07:14 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: TexasVine
I think the post is somewhat provocative.

Agreed. But that often leads to the most useful (and perhaps entertaining) discussions.

Besides, how boring would life be if we all agreed on every subjecct.

We should never let the truly close-minded keep us from bringing up something worthy of throwing around the fire.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: mike0513] #1026991 11/10/09 07:20 PM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
i have hunted the same tract of corps land for 5 yrs now and still get freekin turned around or pop out on a fence line that i wesent planning on. i see why ur upset but take it easy hujnting is supposed to be fun!! its not like some one stole ur stand or shat in it or shot it or the guy did it on purpose/?????

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Cody Malone] #1027060 11/10/09 07:39 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Cody Malone
i have hunted the same tract of corps land for 5 yrs now and still get freekin turned around or pop out on a fence line that i wesent planning on. i see why ur upset but take it easy hujnting is supposed to be fun!! its not like some one stole ur stand or shat in it or shot it or the guy did it on purpose/?????

Not to single you out, but it seems some are more "directionally challenged" than others, even with all the tools and resources that are available to them.

Again, I have found satellite images to be extremely valuable in learning how to move about in even the most remote and smallest of areas without getting lost. But again, they're all but useless to those unable to read a compass or read a map.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1027229 11/10/09 08:28 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Surprisingly, no one has mentioned how these reflective stickers makes it very easy for someone to find your stand, or that area you spent so much time to locate and focus your efforts. And likewise, not using them leaves it to others to find that spot totally by chance, perhaps even passing right through without any idea of how often deer frequent the area.

Once the more experienced hunter knows your patterns of movement, he/she can pick a spot so that you bump deer right towards them, and without leaving you any evidence of them having been there. I mean, they know for sure that other hunter probably isn't going anywhere those little stickers doesn't lead him.

My apologies to some of you for letting that little secret slip out of the bag.

wink

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1027344 11/10/09 09:03 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I think the golf analogy is a good one. Good golfers look down on duffers. And folks who think they are Daniel Boone feel the need to look down on the weekend hunters. (at least with golf there is an objective index by which to measure prowess)

But IMO, both golf and hunting are vocations and folks should be able to participate at whatever level of expertise and level of effort they chose.

I personnally would rather be with a casual hunter than a self proclaimed Daniel Boone who thinks he is better than everyone else.

And I also agree with the comment on spears. Hunting techniques have, and will continue to evolve and change. To pick one point in time and say "this-is-the-only-way-to-do-it-'cause-my-daddy-did-it-this-way" is myopic.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Grizz] #1027472 11/10/09 09:51 PM
O
Omaney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1027568 11/10/09 10:23 PM
L
Luv2Hunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
I stopped reading this thread on the bottom of page 3 and will just post this...

The testosterone level is way too high.

Be kind with your words, thankful to your Creator and generous with the meat from your hunt.
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Grizz] #1027737 11/10/09 11:12 PM
C
CBHunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Am I the only one that longs to be a bad azz like Dan the Man?

Can the forum ban people for being idiots?

Originally Posted by pkpxavier
My wife's only thing is it can't stare at her when she is eating or sleeping!
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: CBHunter] #1027760 11/10/09 11:22 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Can the forum ban people for being idiots? [/quote]

We couldn't be so lucky could we??? confused2

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Luv2Hunt] #1027931 11/11/09 12:41 AM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Well, I did the same about page 3. I came to page 8 asking these three questions. How many times has Dan the hunting man been lost in his hunting experiences? 2nd... Are these hunters what Dan was before he bought all his gadgets and thats what makes him so mad? You know most people don't like people who are most like them. Dan those people who come near your area have the same chance to scare a deer to you as they do to scare it away from you. 3rd... One might question Does Dan hunt pub land because he doesn't have many hunting buddies to hunt with ? ?????????

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: 7mag] #1028039 11/11/09 01:16 AM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Dan, are you serious??? Are you that stuck on yourself?? your argument makes absolutley no sence, I bet your a real hoot to sit around a campfire with ain't you, I bet your "buddies" laugh their arses off at you when you go to bed..., I'm not pissed at you nor am I offended by your post, it's just doesn't make any sence. This is a PUBLIC forum so you have the right to post whatever you want and I have the right to tell you it doesn't make sence... soap stir

🍻
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide