Print Thread
How close is too close? #1027455 11/10/09 09:45 PM
T
Timmon Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Hello, new to the forum and have a question. First a little history. I own a small non-fenced 50 acre plot in Rocksprings, Texas. This year I decided I wanted to move my blind and feeder to the other end of our property in an effort to get as far away from the cabin as possible. My feeder is 200 yards away from the unfenced property line. My blind sits about 125 yds up a ridge so that my shot would be directed downward so as not to intrude on my neighbors land. On the other end of the property there is a similiar setup. Facing the same direction there is another feeder however it is at least 250 yards from the property line. My neighbor has a sign up on his land. It is for sale and he has no visible feeders or blinds as far as I can tell.

Opening weekend I head out to my blind excited by what I had been seeing on my game camera only to find 2 hunters, each about 30-40 yds from the property line (on their side) situated almost directly behind each of the feeders. Neither are wearing any orange or camo (not that they have to). Neither are sitting still but rather "stalking" or just walking around but they are staying relatively in the 30-40 yard vicinity of the property line albeit still within in the general vicinity of my feeders. I'm dealing with the amount of land that I have available to me and space is limited so I realize that my location may not be optimal but it is all I have. Irritated by this I figure that maybe these guys aren't from Texas and are hunting the only way they know how so I decide to suck it up. I see no deer from Saturday morning until after Sunday morning. Within this time these hunters fire off 3 shots. After the final Sunday morning shot I get fed up and get out of my blind and walked over to the one of them. Once at the property line I was close enough to call to him without yelling and asked him what he was doing? He looked suprised to see me and replied "hunting". He also said he was hunting on his property and that he had been doing so for the last 10 years and that he didn't know what else to tell me. I did a query on their property since it is for sale and it is 75 acres according to the real estate website. I feel they have plenty of land to hunt and chose to hunt our border to because I feed year round. Am I wrong in questioning them? Or am I at fault for having my feeders placed where they are? Is there anything I can do about it? I appreciate all feedback. Thanks.

Re: How close is too close? [Re: Timmon] #1027477 11/10/09 09:54 PM
B
Bucks and Ducks Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
I don't think your wrong for asking them but on the other hand if they are on their property there isn't much you can do about it.

Re: How close is too close? [Re: Timmon] #1027482 11/10/09 09:56 PM
L
Luv2Hunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
If they are staying on their side of the property line and not crossing over to you, it is completely legal. Now, ethically, it's still apropriate. They have identified a food source that the deer are traveling to. As long as they stay on their side of the fence and don't cross it or shoot across it...all legal.

Now, let's talk about good ol' Texas manners. It's not good manners to shoot over your neighbors feeder, most especially if they are hunting it. That's my 2 cents worth. Just not neighborly.

Be kind with your words, thankful to your Creator and generous with the meat from your hunt.
Re: How close is too close? [Re: Luv2Hunt] #1027500 11/10/09 10:01 PM
R
redmist220 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
It would be time to move the feeders , if it was me . Not worth the headache .

Re: How close is too close? [Re: Timmon] #1027544 11/10/09 10:19 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
You didn't say how many sides they border you but your only choice really is to move your feeders. Sounds like they or jerks and you have no other options except to hunt when they are not there. Welcome to THF.

Re: How close is too close? [Re: KG68] #1027623 11/10/09 10:41 PM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Not cool on their part, but nothing you can do about it legally. I would just move the feeder and get away from them. Welcome to THF.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide