Print Thread
Browning A bolt With Boss system #102362 10/25/06 07:19 AM
F
FishNHuntTX Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
F
I have considered buying one of these browning Abolt rifles with the Boss system. Does anyone have one? Has anyone ever shot one? Any information on this rifle would help.

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: FishNHuntTX] #102363 10/25/06 12:08 PM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
I have one, its a nice tool. I think the muzzle break feature is more beneficial, but if you are picky about whether your groups at 100 yards are 1/2 inch or 3/8 of a inch, the boss can help.

As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks--Thomas Jefferson
Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: Rowney] #102364 10/25/06 03:07 PM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I had a stainless stalker in 7mm Mag for a couple of years. It shot well but I just couldn't warm up to the rifle. It was terribly loud even with ear plugs and muffs and with the added length of the BOSS on top of a 26" magnum lenght barrel it was just too long for my liking.
However that was just me and my likes and dislikes and Your Mileage May Vary

MC

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: FishNHuntTX] #102365 10/25/06 05:08 PM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
I bought my wife the Eurobolt in .243. Not sure if there is much difference between the Eurobolt and the A bolt. it is a tackdriver for sure. You can go to Brownings website and there is a chart that gives you a start off point for tuning the BOSS, as well as tuning instructions. She loves the rifle. The BOSS is way too loud for my taste tho. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU WEAR HEARING PROTECTION EVERY TIME YOU PULL THE TRIGGER. I cannot emphasize how important that is. Aside from it being annoyingly loud they are great rifles.

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Square Up Archery & Lightning Bowstrings Staff Shooter
Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: HunterTed] #102366 10/25/06 11:28 PM
C
chestnut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Well, we discussed this before!

First the BOSS has nothing to do with the muzzle-brake. BOSS stands for "ballistically optimized shooting system". It's basically the screw in-out weight near the front of the barrel. In front of it you can screw on a muzzle brake or another piece which comes with the rifle called the "convention recoil" fitting. So, you've got the BOSS-muzzle brake and the BOSS-CR. I believe new Brownings come with both attachments. I never use my muzzle-brake fitting -- WAY too loud.

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: chestnut] #102367 10/25/06 11:52 PM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
so can you have the whole thing cut off?

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: HunterTed] #102368 10/26/06 12:36 AM
C
chestnut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
You wouldn't want to do that! The BOSS works. Try moving the screw in and out and you'll see a big change in group size.

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: chestnut] #102369 10/26/06 01:21 AM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Oh it is a tackdriver for sure. I just hate how loud it is. Not my rifle anyways, it's the wifes.LOL I really think she is gonna get annoyed having to wear ear protection while she hunts.

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: chestnut] #102370 10/26/06 01:55 AM
F
FishNHuntTX Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
F
It is interesting to me that the gun is that loud. I figured it would be louder but sounds like it is too loud. I always wair ear protection when shooting at the range but never while hunting. What are the advantages of the browning with the boss system and Would you buy the gun again if you had to do it all over again?

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: FishNHuntTX] #102371 10/26/06 11:33 AM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
The decibels on the gun are not changed. What happens with the muzzle brake is that the sosund is not directed downreange as much, so it seems a lot louder. If you use the Boss without the muzzle brake it is the same as a normal gun. IMO, I dont require the accuracy out of my guns that would necessitate the BOSS, but it is nice to have, and helps with the balance of the gun. My 270 only has a 24" barrel.

As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks--Thomas Jefferson
Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: Rowney] #102372 10/26/06 02:29 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
they are nice guns. if they wern't japaneese i would buy one. my dad had one in .300 win mag. the gun was a bit louder, not too bad but not outrageous. shot great though. also, muzzel flase was a problem in low light conditions.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: FishNHuntTX] #102373 10/26/06 03:38 PM
E
exoticbob Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
i have owned the winchester version & currently own a browning stalker 7mm rem mag w/ boss. like said before, the gun comes with both boss devices (brake/no brake). this gun shoots well under an inch with most factory loads. very impressive gun. this is the only gun i would buy. if you love to shoot at the range alot, then getting the boss is worth it.

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: exoticbob] #102374 10/26/06 04:05 PM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Txtrophy, what does being made in japan have to do with anything? I would take my Browning over a savage or ruger any day. Remington is the only big time commercial manufacturer that even comes close in my opinion.

If I could afford a Dakota arms or one of those sweet looking Hil country customs out of New Braunfels, it would be nice though.

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: Rowney] #102375 10/26/06 07:33 PM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Quote:

I would take my Browning over a savage or ruger any day.

I am a huge Ruger fan. Just about everything I own is Ruger, but I agree with you. The Brownings are top notch guns. I'd probably buy more if they all didn't come with that raised cheekpiece on the stock. Being a left handed shooter I find that uncomfortable.

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: HunterTed] #102376 10/26/06 11:04 PM
B
bayourat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I owned one, Probably wouldn't again though. Silky smooth action,beautifull gun. Accuracy was average even with the boss and that was with handloads. I'm like some other people on here I've owned several of every manufacturers guns and I personally cant justify the extra Money for a Browning when almost any gun will shoot just as well. JMHO.
And remember my opinion and $5 will buy a cup of coffee almost anywhere. Tim

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: bayourat] #102377 10/26/06 11:13 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
if you take the boss off the browning, a ruger, remington or winchester will shoot just as good as any browning. i like the 60 degree bolt throw, the smooth action, and the glossy stock. i don't like the push feed, the detacable magizines and the glossy stock. i picked my ruger over a remington 700 BDL after 2 hours of fighting over it. i'm glad i picked the ruger. i have yet to shoot a rifle that, with factory loads and without a boss, that will shoot as good as mine. of course i'm talking about a the big three's standard deer rifles and not their varmint/target models in .22 centerfires. i had to have the trigger worked on and the stock bedded and barrel floated but it is a gem. but a browning is a damn fine rifle by any stretch. i normally don't mind foreign things, there cars are sure more reliable than ours, but i just can't buy a gun manufactured in a country where private ownership of one is illegal.

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: txtrophy85] #102378 10/27/06 12:31 AM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
OK, I can see your point about not being able to own one where they are made, thought it might be a quality issue, of which I think thye have us beat in the mass production market hands down. Thank you for the response

I personally shoot Brownings b/c of the 60 degree bolt, easy to adjust trigger, smooth action, and ease of bolt removal. They shoot very good for me, though I think any gun you can buy from Remington, Ruger, or Browning will shoot m.o.a. if the right shooter is behind it, especially with handloads.

Also, Hardly any Brownings come with a raised cheek piece. None of the standard hunter or Medallions do I know. My eclipse does, but my stainless stalker didnt.

As far as price, a medallion can be had for under 700, the standard hunter can be had for less than 600, and the Eclipse and white gold medalion are the same price as a Sendero fluted from remmy, around 1000.

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: Rowney] #102379 10/27/06 03:26 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
i take that back, there is a white gold medalion for sale at sportsmans warehouse that in .300 wsm that i would love to take off there hands. it is almost too pretty to hunt with, i would be afraid i would scratch it.

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: txtrophy85] #102380 10/27/06 03:34 PM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Hey thats a beautiful gun, I wanted one, but went instead with the eclipse b/c I wanted the thumbhole and raised cheekpad.

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: txtrophy85] #102381 10/27/06 04:50 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Quote:

i normally don't mind foreign things, there cars are sure more reliable than ours, but i just can't buy a gun manufactured in a country where private ownership of one is illegal.

I really suggest you look at any of the guns made in Sweden, Finland, Norway, Austria, Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, and Italy then ...as these countries all have a long and famous history of private gun ownership and hunting....with names you might recognize like FabriqueNationale, Schulz & Larsen, SAKO/Tikka, Blaser, Mauser, Mannlicher Schoennauer, Beretta, Franchi, and too many others to list. Even Remington is now importing a mauser actioned rifle now made by Zastava in Serbia, after out bidding another importer to compete with a euro made mauser style rifle.

I hunted in Finland for moose in 1984. The hunt was on a private hunting clubs leased property, under exactly the same kind of conditions as Temple Eastex leased to a hunt club my BinL from Houston belonged to for 10 years and sub leased for weekends to various corporate groups like we were.

The Finnish Hunt Club members acted as our guides, game beaters using their own dogs for protection from artic wolves and to roust out the game critters from the otherwise impenitrable swamps and thickets, and retrieved and processed the moose and white tails we shot at their kickazzed unbelievable on site facility they had hand built them selves out in the woods with no running water.

Based on the success of those Hunts the company I worked for, Stoeger Industries then parent company, SAKO/Tikka of Rihimaaki, Finland (who in turn was owned by the Nokia Corporation of Finland) bought their own land....some 60,000 hectares and set up a similar program...only the outsiders were huntin parties from other Nokia Corp divisons. This was many years before Sako/Tikka was spun off by Nokia and sold to Beretta in 2002.

So I suggest that you look at some of the European made guns with the same critical eye towards quality and historical issues as you look at American hunting guns...and I'd put my last two Tikka's, including the still NIB 270 I got last week, against anything out of the box made in America feature for feature in a rack quality sporting hunting rifle sold at a comparable price...with no tuning no nothing and my Tikka's would not have to back up to anything produced by Remington or Ruger....and my Czech made CZ won't be far behind my Tikka's accuracy wise, even as rough as the finish work is inside the receiver...but then it is 15/20 % cheaper too so what do you want?

I have yet to see a mass produced American made rifle NIB as smooth cycling however in my 13 years in the firearms industry, or since, as any of the hundreds of Tikka's NIB I have ever handled without major tuning. JMHO...and why I keep going back to the Euro's after looking very very hard at both Remington and Ruger over the last 6 months for this last purchase...but I do have a soft spot for Model 70 Winnie's and they are the ONLY mass produced American made rifles I will consider spending any money on for tuning...after owning a couple dozen Rugers since 1969, and a few Remmys and Savages over the last 35 years.

However, I do keep looking at Kimber's as IMO they are the best non custom semi mass produced American made rifle on the market, but at the starting prices they are, until I can afford $900-$1000 for off the rack guns to start the tuning process from I'll stay where I can get the most bang for the buck. YMMV
Ron

OBTW
Name me one American made rifle that comes NIB ...with a "3 shots under an Inch" factory warranty? Tikka's do and say so in the owners manual.
RV

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 10/27/06 05:22 PM.
Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: WileyCoyote] #102382 10/27/06 05:41 PM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Wiley, I forgot about the Kimbers. But your right, at that price its hard to justify. Arent the Mark V's made in California still? Or have they been shipped out as well?

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: WileyCoyote] #102383 10/27/06 05:42 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
i love sako's and tikka's both, as well as any german rifle. they are all awesome and are worth their weight in gold. buddy of mine recently inhertrited a rifle made in belgium in the 60's cant remember the name, but it used a mauser action. rifle still looks good and shoots even better after 40 years. with its original K-6 weaver, its a great all around rifle. funny thing is, its chambered for a .270, which i thought was weird being its an overseas gun. how did your moose hunt in swedan go, i've read alot about them, they sound like a blast

Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: Rowney] #102384 10/27/06 06:20 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Rowney, Mk V's were never made in California, the earlier barreled actions from the late 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's were made in Germany and I don't remember if I ever knew who the mfg'er was...maybe Mauser, then in Japan by Mirroku I think who still builds Wby Vanguards and Wby shotguns -and always built the fabulous Charles Dalys from the 50's & 60's, and all Browning long guns now as I understand it - they always built the Citori's, and Wby Mk V's are now produced here I think in Maine or New Hampshire in an old machine gun plant as I remember the story for the last 10+ years.
The German & Japanese made Wby labled barreled actions were assembled in South Gate, California using California Claro Walnut stocks...until Roy died and the son Ed Weatherby re invented the wheel.

TT85, The Belgian made 270 you mentioned was almost certainly made by FN aka FabriqueNationale in Herstal Belgium. Find a 70's era Brwoning Safari Grade and compare it, look for the same proof marks. Today, the longterm succesor to that company is simply called the Herstal Group and among other things owns Browning - who owned the New Haven, Connecticutt plant that produced under licensed contract to US Repeating Arms Corp aka USRAC Winchester M70's, M94's and Model 1300 pump shotguns. This is the plant that was closed last year. But USRAC still owns the rights to the designs for those firearms and I keep hearing that this outfit or that outfit is going to cut a deal with USRAC and begin production...but there is apparently some sort of NO COMPETE clause somewhere that has not timed out yet.
Ron

OBTW SAKO sold some medium 308 sized and small 222 sized actions in the 50's to FN for their use and FN sold them in the US under the Browning name. In turn, SAKO received some FN long actions at about the same time and used to for their entry into the 30'06 sized class of receivers until they came out with their own designs in the early 60's for a standard length receiver. Both of these variations are highly prized as collector items.
SAKO also sold a bunch of recievers to other companies who built guns off of them ...Harrington & Richards comes to mind as a magnificent looking rifle too pretty to shoot.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Browning A bolt With Boss system [Re: WileyCoyote] #102385 10/27/06 07:01 PM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Thats right Wiley, I forgot that they were only assembled in California. I just think that as long as they are making them in the u.s. of a. they and Kimber are hard to beat. IF you can afford a 1300-1500 dollar gun to get in the door.

Also, I am pretty sure that Browning (aka herstal) will begin making the winchesters again after the no-compete is up in either this year or next. Several moderators who know guns were talking about this on another forum. Doesnt mean it is correct though

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide