Print Thread
Shooting 6mm remmington #783300 07/02/09 02:14 AM
A
AGBAND Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
Shot 16 shots at a hundred yards at the range today. Nine shots were in the two rings around the bullseye. 5 were up/left quadrant and 4 were down/right quadrant but still inside the two 1-inch rings around the bullseye. One bullet right in the center.

Not sure what was going on the the first nine shots. Last six I attribute to the barrell getting to hot. The cross hairs of the scope completely cover the bullseye at hundred yards. Ammo is 100 grain with a barrell 1:9 twist.

Thoughts??

"God is GREAT. Beer is good and people are crazy."
Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: AGBAND] #783301 07/02/09 02:17 AM
L
Lochsley123 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
L
How much time between shots? heat expands the barrel and less lands touch the bullett. This will cause it to scatter rounds like that. Only takes about 3 one after another to make this happen on a rifle like 6mm. My next question is when did you clean the barrel last?

Originally Posted by rickym
What kind of lights does it shoot out?
Like are we talkin the mini bulb Christmas lights or a 500 watt flood light?

Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: Lochsley123] #783302 07/02/09 02:44 AM
TexasTransplant Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Factory ammo doesn't always shoot all that well. I've seen pretty good variation in seating depths in a single box of name brand ammo before.

Sounds like you have some pretty fat cross hairs or some pretty low magnification. With a normal duplex reticle at 4x you should be able to see the bull. Do you have a first focal plane reticle? You can tell if the reticle gets larger as you increase magnification.

She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.
Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: TexasTransplant] #783303 07/02/09 03:35 PM
A
AGBAND Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
Remington factory ammo. The scope is Leupold 4x with Leupold Dot crosshairs. Literally made back in the late 60's early 70's. It is "thin" barrel and got pretty damn hot in three shots. It rested for 5-10 min's between firing groups. Yes, this barrel has been cleaned

This was/is my in-laws rifle. Has never been fired since it was given to him as a highschool graduation gift back in the 60's. The barrel is 1:9 twist rate shooting 100 gr ain bullets. I have had it at the gunsmith and brought it back to "life". About 20-30 rounds fired through it this summer.

Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: AGBAND] #783304 07/02/09 05:10 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
My best friends wife has a 6mm mohawk rem. We found that the it likes Hornady 95 GR SST the best. I have never been able to get remmington corlocks to group worth a flip in my 243 either

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: AGBAND] #783305 07/02/09 06:53 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I suspect a problem with the scope or scope mounts.

Also I assume you are shooting from a bench, make sure your stock is on the sand bags each time and not the barrell.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #783306 07/02/09 07:23 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Could be lots of things:
loose scope screws
loose bedding screws
poor bedding of action in stock
dirty barrel
damaged barrel crown
hard trigger
improper bench technique
large dot reticle doesn't help

Hard to say where to start, but one thing for sure: as hot as it was yesterday, you need to let the barrel cool for a long time between shots.

Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: JJH] #783307 07/03/09 03:54 AM
C
caddokiller Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
When remington first put out the 6mm they put a 1/9 rate twist barrel on it. Ater alot of complaints they discovered that a 1/9 twist will not stableize a 100 grain bullet. After that they started using a 1/10 or 1/12 twist barrel(I cant remeber which) and the problem was solved. At least this is what I read the other day in the spear reloading book. Good luck!!

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.- Thomas jefferson
Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: caddokiller] #783308 07/03/09 04:56 AM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
caddo: I think you got it backwards. Remington intorduced the 244Rem in 1955 with a 1 in 12" twist. The heaviest bullet was 90gr. Winchester introduced the 243 at the same time with 100gr bullets and a 1 in 10" twist.

Remington regrouped, renamed the 244 the 6MM Rem and offered barrels with a 9" twist and 100gr bullets. 1 in 9" is a faster twist rate than 1 in 12", and therefore provides more stabilization.

Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: JJH] #783309 07/03/09 05:28 AM
A
AGBAND Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
JJH you are correct........

Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: AGBAND] #1002849 10/31/09 04:21 AM
505 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
vertical, and figure 8 style stringing. this can be attributed to a few things; bbl is hot, bbl is touching the forestock while hot, harmonics then changing, and bullet is going from up first, to then down, usually. trigger pull for a right hander is a down right shot; expecting the recoil, or the trigger break is a shoulder push- for a right hander, this will go upper left.
Breathing, you are not shooting / pulling the trigger, in the same place of your breathing everytime, and your breathing is getting heavier. Especially if lying in the prone.

Sand out the forestock some, after you know it no longer touches the bbl, AFTER THE BBL GETS HOT!!!! so sand it out, then blow about 20 rounds down the tube, in about 15 seconds between shots, this should give it max heat, then check the freefloat of the bbl. if still touching, sand out some more, right there at the bench!!!!

once you are satisfied bbl is not touching stock, wait 1 full minute, before even settleing in to take the next shot, this will give bbl time to cool down, also keep the bolt pulled back to the rear while waiting. This will help to give you same heat and harmonics on bbl, and will give you more accurate and more well regulated groupings.
Reseal with minwax or some such, after all sanding is finished.
Breathing; control your breathing, medium style or regular breaths- not shallow nor not big deep breaths. Squeeze off trigger in the same place every time. I like to breath in, then while breathing out, about 1/3 of the breath- then hold it, and squeeze off the next round.
Don't anticipate the trigger break, or you will push your shot.
Don't anticipate the recoil, you will pull on the trigger.
This can be broken, by simply slowing waaaaaaaay down, how fast you pull the trigger. AS SLOW AS YOU CAN, WHILE STILL MOVING THE TRIGGER CONSTANTLY REARWARD, is the best way.
Think of your finger, as a rearward moving piston, that is computer calibrated, to move rearward one inch per hour. that would be so slow, that you could barely notice it move with the naked eye, but you can, and it would be real slow, but that piston, is allways moving. It doesn't move a little bit, then stop, then a little more, then stop. No, it continuously moves, just very slow, with the same amount of rearward pressure, throughout it's movement.

Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: AGBAND] #1005849 11/01/09 11:12 PM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
One thing that I notice when shooting from the bench is that when you are breathing, the cross-hairs tend to move around on the target. I've learned NOT to try and prevent that. I now let the rifle move as I'm breathing, but I maneuver the rifle such that when I am exhaling, the cross hairs are on the target right as the last of that breath is exhaled. The cross-hairs being on target now coincide with when I am going to fire the gun, and it just works out. I used to try and keep the cross hairs on the bulls-eye at all times, but found that right when I was pulling the trigger, the gun would move off target. This for me is letting the gun work with me on my rhythm.

As everyone else said above, go back, check all the screws on the scope bases & rings. Also free-float the barrel, and then lastly focus on your breathing & trigger control. If you get all this sorted out, and it still won't shoot, there may be some other mechanical problem with the rifle, or just a bad rifle/ammo match. Only way to know for sure is to get all those things you can control taken care of first. Then experiment with different ammo if you still are not getting the type of results you expect.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: Kawabuggy] #1006426 11/02/09 02:03 AM
R
rvrrat14 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
When I bought my 6mm. about 15 year ago, used, I could not group worth a darn. I was using some factory ammo, because I had not purchased dies, etc., for it. I was feeling sick about this Remington 700 I got for such a good deal. And, it was THE caliber I was looking for.

Solution: 1. Replaced the factory 7lb + trigger with a Timeny three way adjustable trigger. Set it to 2.5 lbs. WOW!!!! What a difference.

Solution : Began reloading for the 6mm. Very accurate with Ballistic Tip 95gr. bullets and IMR 4350 powder.

Good Luck.

Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: AGBAND] #1010738 11/03/09 03:42 PM
K
Kestral Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
Lot of good advice. I have a 6mm and love the round. First I would not worry much as it seems fine for deer at distances even further. Mine had a similar issue and I did some of the same tricks mentioned here. In order this is what I might suggest: Easiest thing to do is to make sure the front action screw and tang (back trigger guard) screws are very snug. Tighten them down about as tight as you can using only one hand. Try this first as it is simple and free -go shoot and see. I was told the crowns on some Remington's were known to be less than perfect and a crown job was recommended. After a so-called gunsmith botched it I did it myself using a cordless drill with a dremel grinding ball. Put a few drops of oil in place and at low rpms and just held it against the crown for perhaps two seconds. Was a nervous novice but it cut my groups in half and gained me some confidence. Try it- go shoot and see. Either of these first two won't hurt anything. In the end I wa not happy until I did everything I knew I could do to the rifle whther it needed it or not. I floated and bedded the rifle and had a trigger job. Of course it is always a good idea to try different ammo but I was talked out of the sst's in this caliber. Kind of light for a BT - just me. The 95 partitions would be an excellent choice, though plain corelokts, powerpoints, and in particualr Hornady Interlocks (called Custom ammo)are great nonpremium priced ammo. I have used each w/o failure.

Re: Shooting 6mm remmington [Re: Kestral] #1072405 12/01/09 04:05 AM
T
tapout Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Hey BOBO the Clown wur friend be interested in selling the 6mm mohawk if so or anyone else know of one for sale email me at tapout537@yahoo.com Thanks

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide