Forums46
Topics539,764
Posts9,753,916
Members87,189
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046471 05/13/24 02:22 AM
Ol Thumper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
That’s pathetic, this department seems to be trigger happy and to think no acorns were involved this time.

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: tlk] #9046479 05/13/24 03:04 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by Tbar
Terrible deal....in hindsight when the sheriffs department is knocking on the door don't answer it with a gun in your hand.

This - you ask who it is - if no answer then do not open the door! But if you do don't be holding a dang gun in your hand - how many LEOs have been killed trying to serve a warrant? It happens almost every day -

On the call here, I made sure who it was before opening the door. Once I made sure who it was, I made dang sure not to be holding a gun. I don’t understand why this is such a difficult concept.

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046498 05/13/24 09:38 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
This is almost a daily occurrence in our country now days that our LEO's face

https://www.wfmj.com/story/50775382...found-dead-after-stand-off-officials-say

You can't fix stupid
Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: tlk] #9046503 05/13/24 11:09 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by Tbar
Terrible deal....in hindsight when the sheriffs department is knocking on the door don't answer it with a gun in your hand.

This - you ask who it is - if no answer then do not open the door! But if you do don't be holding a dang gun in your hand - how many LEOs have been killed trying to serve a warrant? It happens almost every day -

He said multiple times it is the Sheriffs department, open the door! If he did not believe it was the Sheriffs Dept he should have responded to the Sheriff that he was calling 911 to confirm.

But what a fricking idiot to open the door with a gun at your side knowing it is either a LEO or ?
I do not fault the Sheriff deputy for shooting first!

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046510 05/13/24 11:34 AM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Interesting video...shoot first then give verbal commands? NM is indicating the deputy went to the wrong apartment.

Body cam video of fatal shooting

Why does the title of the story have to say the airman was black?

Last edited by stinkbelly; 05/13/24 11:34 AM.
Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046516 05/13/24 12:14 PM
T
Treinta-Treinta Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T
Cops pound on doors, they don’t knock. From the inside it sounds like a breech so darn right to have a gun in hand. I hope the cop gets the rest of his life in jail and has several “black” lovers.

Is there a timeframe required by LEO for the door to be opened upon pounding ?

Last edited by Treinta-Treinta; 05/13/24 12:15 PM.
Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046533 05/13/24 01:10 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
In the video it looked like normal knocking and identifying himself twice. I'm still trying to figure out why open the door for an unknown person. If you're concerned enough to gun up, don't open the door. There's no advantage to opening the door. Even kids know to not open the door for people they don't know.

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046536 05/13/24 01:15 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Why don't you passive-aggressive whiners complain about all the law enforcement officers who have been killed instead? Why don't you start threads on these guys? Yeah, that's what I thought.

EOW

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: stinkbelly] #9046543 05/13/24 01:21 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by stinkbelly
Interesting video...shoot first then give verbal commands? NM is indicating the deputy went to the wrong apartment.

Fits the media agenda!

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046567 05/13/24 01:45 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
SO knocked twice and clearly ID'd himself. What sort of business/life are you in that you have to gun-up to answer the door at what looks to be a decent apartment? One of the leading loss of LEO life is responding to domestics. I do think the officer was super quick on the trigger but it would have taken less than a second for him to be dead as well. i'd like to see more facts but this appears to be fairly justified.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9046571 05/13/24 01:51 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
SO knocked twice and clearly ID'd himself. What sort of business/life are you in that you have to gun-up to answer the door at what looks to be a decent apartment? One of the leading loss of LEO life is responding to domestics. I do think the officer was super quick on the trigger but it would have taken less than a second for him to be dead as well. i'd like to see more facts but this appears to be fairly justified.

Is it justified for a police to shoot me in my own house if I have a gun in my hand in a non threatening manner?

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: stinkbelly] #9046575 05/13/24 01:55 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

It sells news.

Do bites man isn't news.
Man bites dog is news.

A sensational article is going to get people to read.

To be determined
Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: Simple Searcher] #9046584 05/13/24 02:13 PM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
You are claiming police lose body cam footage, you weren't talking about just anyone going to jail for tampering with evidence, read your own post...I'll just take your reply as You Don't Have a Clue.

Last edited by Concho; 05/13/24 02:15 PM.

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9046593 05/13/24 02:29 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

We aren't privy to all the facts/circumstances....so I am not going to judge the outcome. BUT....just because the officer/deputy knocks on a door and identifies one self does NOT mean the person inside was able to hear it.

Resident could have been anywhere in the residence doing any number of things (or even asleep). LEO should NOT assume their presence or commands have been clearly heard.

This 'domestic' call could have been about a third party. It is not unreasonable to imagine the resident only heard pounding on his door, expected someone other than LEO to be outside and had armed himself.

I would hope that the new standard for using deadly force is NOT the mere the presence of a weapon. What if the resident had been holding a bat, hammer, knife? And why in hell do you stand right in front of the door opening when going on a 'domestic' anyway?

Last edited by flintknapper; 05/13/24 02:30 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046606 05/13/24 03:09 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I can see myself holding a gun and not opening a door. Not sure I can see myself opening a door with a gun in my hand. If I believe I may need a gun, why would I open the door? That is borrowing trouble and I do not believe in it.

I am not excusing what happened. Just trying to make sense of what I saw.

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: flintknapper] #9046610 05/13/24 03:17 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Tough call I suppose.

I don't believe the mere presence of a gun is justification for the immediate use of deadly force (sans any aggressive movement or verbiage).

Is this the same department that recently had a deputy go 'wild' over an acorn hitting the roof of a vehicle?

There's now video of a squirrel sitting up in the oak tree throwing acorns on the roof of the patrol vehicle and laughing his butt off when the cop loses control.

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9046613 05/13/24 03:21 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

^^As usual, a pretty solid voice of reason.
Often times on deals like this there is poor judgement on both sides and we dont know all the facts.
Ive never had my door knocked on by LEO or almost never by anyone I dont know. I dont think I would hesitate to open it and I certainly wouldnt have a gun. However, after hearing stories like this, I may consider asking a few questions through the door first.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046614 05/13/24 03:22 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Bad deal overall. Couple of possible mistakes by both parties and now an allegedly innocent man is dead and possibly a police officer's career is ruined.

To be determined
Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046616 05/13/24 03:24 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I think it is a case of both parties acting stupidly. The young man at home shoulda not opened the door and the deputy shouldn't have been so quick on the trigger when he did open the door (and then acted pretty damned callous to the young black man while he laid on the floor dying).

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046617 05/13/24 03:25 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
No winners here and one lost more than the other. The guy who has to live with this may be the worst off.

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: Hudbone] #9046618 05/13/24 03:25 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
I can see myself holding a gun and not opening a door. Not sure I can see myself opening a door with a gun in my hand. If I believe I may need a gun, why would I open the door? That is borrowing trouble and I do not believe in it.

I am not excusing what happened. Just trying to make sense of what I saw.

Good reasoning by Hud. If you have reason to need a gun then dont open the door.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: Choctaw] #9046627 05/13/24 03:42 PM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Choctaw
Why don't you passive-aggressive whiners complain about all the law enforcement officers who have been killed instead? Why don't you start threads on these guys? Yeah, that's what I thought.

EOW

I can't imagine what it is like now pulling up on a stop, banging a door for a warrant/domestic etc.

seems to be a revival of the war on cops lately, multiple ambushes, stand offs and general mayhem for the slightest thing.

on one hand I don't blame the deputy but also can't blame the airman for coming to the door armed no matter how nice the apt.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046632 05/13/24 03:49 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Tough situation all around on this one, grand jury will be faced with lots to consider. Time of day which appears to be afternoon, fact that deputy clearly and audibly announced his presence on both door knocks, door seemed to be slowly opened with no audible words from homeowner prior to being shot and how deputy could have interpreted the danger, fact person had a pistol in hand at side and appearedly a hand up prior to shots as if acknowledging officer. Lots, lots to unwind and no fun doing so...

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046646 05/13/24 04:20 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Bad deal all around, I guess we will see what the Grand Jury says

Re: Air Force Airman Killed by Sheriffs Deputy [Re: The Dude Abides] #9046651 05/13/24 04:37 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Is it justified for a police to shoot me in my own house if I have a gun in my hand in a non threatening manner?

A gun in your hand while answering the knock of a LEO is itself somewhat threatening. In the blink of an eye that deputy can be dead. I agree that the shots came quickly and without any instruction or warning. Need to know what their policy/training is around such encounters.

Originally Posted by flintknapper
We aren't privy to all the facts/circumstances....so I am not going to judge the outcome. BUT....just because the officer/deputy knocks on a door and identifies one self does NOT mean the person inside was able to hear it.

Resident could have been anywhere in the residence doing any number of things (or even asleep). LEO should NOT assume their presence or commands have been clearly heard.

This 'domestic' call could have been about a third party. It is not unreasonable to imagine the resident only heard pounding on his door, expected someone other than LEO to be outside and had armed himself.

I would hope that the new standard for using deadly force is NOT the mere the presence of a weapon. What if the resident had been holding a bat, hammer, knife? And why in hell do you stand right in front of the door opening when going on a 'domestic' anyway?

The door opens very soon after the second time the deputy, at very high volume, announces himself. Even nice apartments don't have great insulation. But lets say all he knew was that someone was knocking. Again, what life/business are you in where you answer the door with a gun? And why not yell through the door to get ID from the knocker?

It's a crap sandwich all the way around. Sadly, a man lost his life. Hopefully the rest of the facts back the deputy, but if they don't, he should be prosecuted. In either case the family will get paid and the airman's name will be added to the CNN list they use to back their lazy claim that police target black people.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide