Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,313
Posts9,735,680
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Anyone start out with a compound, go to Trad and then back to a compound? #9038246 04/24/24 10:49 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Got really into the trad bow thing a few years ago. Had some success but quite a bit of frustration. Can't seem to get ( for me ) consistent with it. Some days I shoot great, others I shook ok, then others I just shoot like arse.

Haven't shot my compound since last March, save for 1 shot in November, and after a frustrating session with the recurve, decided to break it out and the first 3 arrows all touched each other at 35 yards.

I like the challenge of trad archery but the setups have to be perfect to get a shot, can't use it out of a pop up blind and can't really get consistent past about 15 yards with any regularity.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Anyone start out with a compound, go to Trad and then back to a compound? [Re: txtrophy85] #9038622 04/25/24 10:47 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Yes. About 30 years ago I started with a compound, then put it up for a long time. Then I started shooting traditional, then I bought another compound. I've killed a few pigs with a trad bow but do most of my hunting with a compound, when I feel like bow hunting anymore. I shoot them interchangeably now and just shoot what I feel like shooting at that time. Although a lot of people want to make it seem like it, you don't have to choose sides in which Bow you like the most LOL

Re: Anyone start out with a compound, go to Trad and then back to a compound? [Re: txtrophy85] #9038651 04/26/24 12:00 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I started on a trad and recurve and switch to a compound after about 30 years. I still have issues shooting my compound like a trad bow. Every once in a while I'll let go of the release. Mostly happens when I'm stressed about target panic not letting me get on target. I tend to rush shots. It's been about 7 years. I don't know if I will ever get competition proficient with a compound. It's a mental thing and usually happens during competitions. When hunting I've not had any issues shooting either. Oddly, I just don't get as nervous hunting as I do in competition.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Anyone start out with a compound, go to Trad and then back to a compound? [Re: txtrophy85] #9039184 04/27/24 02:58 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Bowhunting is Bowhunting. Shooting a deer with a compound is not something to be ashamed of. The only one who is judging you will be you.
Now, if you use a crossbow, we won't consider it a bowkill, but it will still eat good.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Anyone start out with a compound, go to Trad and then back to a compound? [Re: txtrophy85] #9039253 04/27/24 12:48 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Over the 40 plus years of bow hunting. Started with recurve and got a couple deer, switched to compound for years and I guess getting older felt the urge to shoot recures again so bought one and have hunted with it some. Missed 2 years with shoulder problems, wasn't going to miss a third that next year Texas started allowing the crossbows so bought one. Hunted with it then got to missing shooting the recurves so got another one and started hunting. Which goes hunting depends on mood and which stand I will be hunting that day as well as how.

i do not bow hunt as much as I did years ago but still do some and like to shoot. Missed the entire season last year with shoulder surgery but will be back at it this year.

Last edited by kmon11; 04/27/24 01:51 PM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Anyone start out with a compound, go to Trad and then back to a compound? [Re: txtrophy85] #9039381 04/27/24 05:10 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
quote=passthru]Bowhunting is Bowhunting. Shooting a deer with a compound is not something to be ashamed of. The only one who is judging you will be you.
Now, if you use a crossbow, we won't consider it a bowkill, but it will still eat good.[/quote]

I’m not ashamed of a compound kill, it’s more of a frustration that I haven’t mastered this thing yet.

I compare compound hunting to trad hunting like fishing with a spinning reel vs. a fly rod. Completely different disciplines.

Hunting with a crossbow is like fishing with a cast net.

Re: Anyone start out with a compound, go to Trad and then back to a compound? [Re: txtrophy85] #9039477 04/27/24 10:36 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I started compound, hunted three years before i killed a fawn. Then I switched to trad and refused to use anything else, barely hunted the rest of the season anyway.

Then I picked up a crossbow. Then I started shooting the compound again.

I will probably use the crossbow, shotgun, and rifle this year. I am not worried about the equipment used at this point. What matters to me is getting my family more involved in things outdoors, and putting meat in the freezer.

Sure, I prefer the trad bow. Doesn’t matter. You won’t hear any disparaging remarks about equipment used in my household and especially if it involves my kids. Nothing but high 5’s and hugs, and good food and memories.

Last edited by 10 Gauge; 04/27/24 10:43 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Anyone start out with a compound, go to Trad and then back to a compound? [Re: txtrophy85] #9039649 04/28/24 12:37 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
quote=passthru]Bowhunting is Bowhunting. Shooting a deer with a compound is not something to be ashamed of. The only one who is judging you will be you.
Now, if you use a crossbow, we won't consider it a bowkill, but it will still eat good.

I’m not ashamed of a compound kill, it’s more of a frustration that I haven’t mastered this thing yet.

I compare compound hunting to trad hunting like fishing with a spinning reel vs. a fly rod. Completely different disciplines.

Hunting with a crossbow is like fishing with a cast net. [/quote]
Honestly, thr minute I think I've hot the hang of it, I have a practice session like yesterday evening and I get humbled.. we all have those days. But making the more humane choice for hunting is something I respect.
I've sat in a blind many times never intending to pick up my bow because in a prehunt practice I just couldn't zero in. Less so now that I gap shoot, but still, some days. . .

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Anyone start out with a compound, go to Trad and then back to a compound? [Re: txtrophy85] #9039788 04/28/24 05:50 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Switched bows and started shooting my 57# bow better than the 53#.

2/3rds of it is, I am overthinking it.

That said, I do enjoy shooting the compound and am going to start shooting it more instead of trying to live up to some noble idea that the Trad way is the only way.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide