Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: tigger] #9036009 04/19/24 03:22 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Last year early teal season, Tara's snake training did not work very well. Tara was on my right, she had no idea the there was snake on my left. I looked to my left and it was 2 foot from my face wiggling its tongue at me, skart the pee pee out of me...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I know it's nonpoisonous, but it still f'n bites, and I don't like snakes trying to french kiss me..

[Linked Image]

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: tigger] #9036458 04/20/24 05:19 PM
M
Mr. Jeem Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
[Linked Image]

Was out with Junior one day when he jumped sideways, I looked down and here was this guy. Normally he'd have attacked it, he had a very high prey drive. On the second dog now. I've always taken them to the snake clinic and vaccinated them.

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: tigger] #9037428 04/22/24 10:07 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This was from a long time ago. My girl Molly (RIP 2015) was injured, so I was hunting without her. Good thing too, because this little fella was right in our path and this path I tipically let Molly run ahead of me. I would hope with her training she would have stayed clear of it, but you never know. When I walked up on it, it was right in the middle of the path, up in the air, and its mouth was wide open, it was all white mouth and it was like shaking it was so ready to bite, it was wicked looking. By the time I got my camera out it shut its mouth.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: Guy] #9037537 04/23/24 02:07 AM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by kindall
Originally Posted by Guy
It’s important to do the snake breaking as a pup, as their first experience with a snake. Once a dog gets after a snake and kills it, now it is a full blown habit and very hard to break them of that habit.

And you need to keep up the training. Issue with my dog is she knows when I take her to snake training, I can’t get here anywhere near the snake to give her a correction. Even if I take her to a different location, she sees everyone and their dogs, she immediately knows what is going on. I need to do a private session with Wayne, have him set up in a field by my house I normally take her, she needs to wear her collar (I different collar she will know something is up), and Wayne will need hide in bushes to zap her because she knows what he looks like.

Do you own a vizsla?

Rhetorical question?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Guy
It’s important to do the snake breaking as a pup, as their first experience with a snake. Once a dog gets after a snake and kills it, now it is a full blown habit and very hard to break them of that habit.

And you need to keep up the training. Issue with my dog is she knows when I take her to snake training, I can’t get here anywhere near the snake to give her a correction. Even if I take her to a different location, she sees everyone and their dogs, she immediately knows what is going on. I need to do a private session with Wayne, have him set up in a field by my house I normally take her, she needs to wear her collar (I different collar she will know something is up), and Wayne will need hide in bushes to zap her because she knows what he looks like.

Do you own a vizsla?

Rhetorical question?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Guy

Do you own a vizsla?

Rhetorical question?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Guy

Do you own a vizsla?

Rhetorical question?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Only asked because one of my Vizslas quickly figured out if it was a avoidance clinic, you could not get her near a snake. Off lead, away from there she would still try to track them.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide