4977378 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#13672 - 01/03/05 07:59 AM Parasites in rabbits
stinkbelly Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Parker County, Tx
Over the past couple of years, we have shot some rabbits with a worm like parasite under the skin above the tail. Has anyone ever seen this? What is it? It looks like a brown grub worm. They are about an inch long and 1/2 inch wide. They don't have a distinct head. The area on the rabbit's fur is always bloody and not from being shot. Any ideas?

#13673 - 01/03/05 08:09 AM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: stinkbelly]
sandman Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
They are 'wolves' (sp?). That's the reason that we never shoot rabbits until after a good freeze.

#13674 - 01/03/05 09:49 AM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: sandman]
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: McKINNEY, TEXAS
RULE IS ALWAYS SHOOT RABBITS TO EAT IN MONTHS THAT HAVE AN R IN THEM

#13675 - 01/03/05 11:10 AM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: stinkbelly]
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Azle TX
I may be wrong, but I think those are the same grubs that you see on the backs of cattle. I just cut out that little chunk of meat right uder where the grub was. It ain't hurt me any and I have been doing it that way for 35+ years.

#13676 - 01/03/05 12:03 PM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: campcook]
bluewavemike Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Kaufman Country
We had a freeze. I cant beleive they have them now. I shoot them late every year with my bow. You know the little guys that feed all year at my feeder. Makes good gumbo.
If I cleaned one and it had worms I wouldnt eat it. Cooked at a temp of 300 or more would kill and funky stuff.LOL All I would think about is them worms.

#13677 - 01/03/05 10:05 PM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: bluewavemike]
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker

Do you eat chicken. Don't fall dead in a chicken pen they'll eat you faster than a hog.

#13678 - 01/04/05 01:18 AM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: sandman]
mredneck Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Arlington
Quote:

They are 'wolves' (sp?). That's the reason that we never shoot rabbits until after a good freeze.

Would you consider the week of Christmas a good freeze? We shot 2 rabbits after Christmas. One had the "grub" looking thing the other did not. I also might add that the rabbit was not moving slow or acting sick.

#13679 - 01/04/05 04:44 AM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: mredneck]
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker

As long as the rest of the meat appears to be okay and of a normal color, everything should be all right. If they weren't acting sick or anything just cook it done and you'll be okay. As for the business about only shooting rabbits in months with an R in them, that is something I have been hearing for at least 40 years, and as I said earlier about the grubs, I have been eating and shooting rabbits for all that time and it ain't ever hurt me.

#13680 - 01/04/05 05:20 AM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: campcook]
stinkbelly Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Parker County, Tx
The main problem I have is that I couldn't eat something after seeing that worm in it. I would only think about the worm as I was eating it. We tossed it for safety.

#13681 - 01/04/05 06:39 AM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: stinkbelly]
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker

Do you drink Tequillia.

#13682 - 01/04/05 08:37 AM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: campcook]
WileyCoyote Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Grayson County & North Texas
Having been known to imbibe a time or three of the blue agave's elixer of the gods...and OH MY ACHING HEAD...trying to "make the worm bounce" ...you have to remember that the "wools" found in rabbits were not nearly as pickled for nearly as long. And no I don't eat the pigs feet or quail eggs found in most good cowboy drinking establishments.

Always been told that the infected rabbits would die off after a sustained hard freeze of a week or so.

And it's SALTWATER OYSTERS that you don't eat in the months without an "R" in the name. And I will eat a couple dozen fresh ones if'n I can find someone else to shuck'em for me! washed down with a cold Pearl!!!
Ron

'Cause Only Accurate Guns & People are Interesting

#13683 - 01/04/05 08:51 AM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: WileyCoyote]
bluewavemike Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Kaufman Country
Campcock doesnt even have a place to hunt. He's not a Texas boy he's from up north.

#13684 - 01/04/05 10:04 AM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: bluewavemike]
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker

It is a real good thing that TheHag had to recently get on to someone about their profanity or I would give you an ear full of it. As I said somewhere else I am not real sure what your problem is with me, but I was born in Olney Texas in 1950. I'll just bet I have been a Texan as long or longer than you. As for your pitiful spelling, its CAMPCOOK, and that is Lora, this is Crazyhorse, and I bet I have also done as much or more hunting than you. And we do have a place to hunt, and have been hunting it for 12 years now. Now I am not sure where you got all your information about me or Lora, but you are full of it, and I don't mean Deer Corn. If my postings are so bad, why don't you just skip over them, but don't start mouthing off about someone you don't know one thing about.

#13685 - 01/04/05 10:33 AM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: campcook]
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Collin County, TX.
I'd say somebody knows what toe jam tastes like now! LOL
Open mouth and insert foot. As for the parasite in rabbits, I'm with the guys that would be overwhelmed by the thought of that nasty little worm. Tularemia is another concern of mine, when it comes to rabbits. Tularemia is the disease which "Wileycoyote" has confused with wolves. The reason "infected" rabbits die off after a hard freeze, is because Tularemia affects the lymphatic system and causes fever. Therefore, the rabbits cannot regulate their body temperature normally, resulting in death from frigid weather...
Just my .02....with that and a dollar, you might get a half cup of coffee! LOL

#13686 - 01/04/05 10:41 AM Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: JBCooper]
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Collin County, TX.
By the way, Tularemia is communicable to humans! Handling infected meat can introduce the bacteria without even an open wound. It is also spread by deer flies and ticks and a bite from an infected rodent or rabbit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide