Texas Hunting Forum

Hybrid Desert Bighorns

Posted By: buck wild

Hybrid Desert Bighorns - 03/15/24 12:41 PM

@Kimber1911 posted a thread back in 2016 about these. Is there any more info about these breeding herds now 8 years later? They were 7/8 pure back then. Did the Project die so to speak?
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Hybrid Desert Bighorns - 03/15/24 01:37 PM

If I heard correctly, the TX herd is way down. Some disease hitting them and they can't seem to get on top of it.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hybrid Desert Bighorns - 03/15/24 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
If I heard correctly, the TX herd is way down. Some disease hitting them and they can't seem to get on top of it.

no he is talking more of a Thompson Temple experiment, then wild

Dude in montana that just got busted for cloning Marco polo and crossing with some other sheep. Think his main release clients where in Texas.
Posted By: Alpine Hunter

Re: Hybrid Desert Bighorns - 03/15/24 02:35 PM

Thompson currently doesn't have any bighorn sheep available for 2024. He told me possibly 2025 but expect a significant price increase. He wants to see what the market will bare.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Hybrid Desert Bighorns - 03/18/24 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Hudbone

Dude in montana that just got busted for cloning Marco polo and crossing with some other sheep. Think his main release clients where in Texas.

I just saw that. I was looking for pics on that this cross looked like and couldnt find any
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Hybrid Desert Bighorns - 03/28/24 05:32 PM

We have a bighorn / mouflon cross mounted that looks almost just like a bighorn sheep.

This pic shows up when I Googles Marco polo / bighorn cross. https://www.gohunt.com/browse/news-...ybrid-giant-rams-using-marco-polo-tissue

[Linked Image]

Re: Hybrid Desert Bighorns - 03/28/24 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex
We have a bighorn / mouflon cross mounted that looks almost just like a bighorn sheep.

This pic shows up when I Googles Marco polo / bighorn cross. https://www.gohunt.com/browse/news-...ybrid-giant-rams-using-marco-polo-tissue

[Linked Image]

thats the Marco ram I believe. I havent seen any pictures of the hybrids. Im sure we Texans will in a few years though grin
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Hybrid Desert Bighorns - 03/28/24 08:58 PM

I've never seen one so thanks for the clarification.
Posted By: brett toth

Re: Hybrid Desert Bighorns - 04/22/24 05:58 PM

lucky 7 has a herd of phantom, sheep, which are roughly 25% bighorn. they also have bighorn crosses time to time. contact them.
Posted By: ErikL

Re: Hybrid Desert Bighorns - 04/23/24 03:07 AM

lucky 7 sweet Roy Dale a hoot to spend time with! Will go back!!!
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Hybrid Desert Bighorns - 04/28/24 04:55 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Hybrid Desert Bighorns - 04/28/24 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by LuckyHunter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

did yall get any of the fore mentioned argali cross?
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Hybrid Desert Bighorns - 04/29/24 01:37 AM

No....we have desert bighorn cross. https://lucky7exotics.com/texas-ram-hunts/
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum