Texas Hunting Forum

lord derby/giant eland in Texas

Posted By: bassmastar34

lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/10/24 10:51 PM

Is there anyone here in Texas that has lord derby eland or are they only found in africa? Eland are at the very top of my bucket list and I am trying to educate myself on options for both stateside and Africa
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/10/24 10:56 PM

Have you shot a common eland? I haven't hunted Lord Derby's, but I know you gotta be able to walk...a lot, in the heat, and not in the prettiest part of Africa. I haven't heard of anyone trying to stock them here. A common can be found easily, which I'm sure you know.

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/10/24 11:39 PM

Yes, i have seen plenty of opportunities for commons both stateside and in Africa for very reasonable prices but seeing pictures of the derby’s if i had equal opportunity that is the one i would choose but that said seeing the price is 20/30k difference from what i am seeing after some google searches. I am at the stage weighing options do i spend 20/40k and kill 10+ animals or just get one that i really want if that makes sense
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/10/24 11:40 PM

Lord Derby is only found in very limited parts in equatorial Africa.

There is a ranch out in west Texas that offers a free range hunt for eland. From what I understand it’s a good hunt.

Everywhere else I’ve seen in Texas would be a poor substitute for an African hunt.

Do yourself a favor and go to Africa if it’s on your bucket list. You won’t regret it.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/10/24 11:50 PM

I would go for the one you want...if you're physically able. I have had some great hunts, but I have never done enough cardio. At 63, and not (too) overweight, I'm not sure I could handle the walking. The hardest hunts make the best memories. If I thought I could handle it, I'd go for just the Lord Derby in a heart beat. West Africa isn't on any postcards, but it's a special place. 'Thought about hunting it many times.
Posted By: MAP

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/11/24 12:11 AM

74 ranch south of san antonio has huge eland, but i think just the common one. Lordy derby has always been in the top 3 amimals on my ultimate adventure list. Ive seen their skulls and just such an incrediable animal. There necks and dulaps are something else
Posted By: ErikL

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/11/24 05:06 AM

Great question. i have never seen in texas nor heard of them outside of cameroon. That said, it seems to me to be an enormous opportunity for someone to breed them either here or in south Africa as cameroon is a jaunt. I saw recently on the forum here someone got a herd of Forrest buffalo from Cameroon to south africa. Heck, a person could change $25k each either in South africa or that or more in Texas and not having to go to cameroon would be appealing to a lot of folks.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/11/24 05:24 AM

[Linked Image]

From a fellow DSC member’s collection who has since passed. Needless to say, he had a spectacular collection.
Posted By: buck wild

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/16/24 02:33 PM

I've never heard of one in Texas.
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/16/24 04:50 PM

The only Lord Derby Eland I've been aware of in Texas were at the Houston Zoo. I've heard anecdotally that there are a few in private collections, but I've never heard of one being hunted in the United States.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/16/24 10:51 PM

[Linked Image]
Another view.

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/17/24 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by syncerus
[Linked Image]
Another view.

that is without a doubt my bucket list animal right there absolutely incredible horns and hide
Posted By: eyedoc

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/28/24 02:32 AM

[Linked Image]
Went to Cameroon last January, probably my favorite hunt, better go now, Cameroon is unstable and could shutdown soon

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/28/24 02:34 AM

[Linked Image]
Different angle

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/28/24 02:36 AM

Went with JKO safaris - excellent outfitter
Posted By: ErikL

Re: lord derby/giant eland in Texas - 02/28/24 03:06 AM

Awesome.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum