Texas Hunting Forum

Mason County exotics

Posted By: ralph

Mason County exotics - 06/18/23 09:34 PM

Just wondering what, if any, free range exotics are in Mason county?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Mason County exotics - 06/18/23 11:30 PM

I'm no aficionado, but I'd guess "you name it." I'd assume the ego farmers have tried everything.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Mason County exotics - 06/19/23 03:53 AM

A friend hit an axis as he was leaving town a few weeks back, by the golf course. We have seen a few black buck on the west side of the county and a few axis. They are shot on site.
Posted By: txwildcat

Re: Mason County exotics - 06/19/23 05:39 PM

Off the top of mind, we've had axis, fallow, red stag, blackbuck that I am aware of. The blackbuck group had grown to over 10 over a couple years of not hunting them. Unfortunately, the big freeze got most of them a couple years back. LO found them in a barn/shed they had taken shelter in. I know know the dominant buck and a doe made it as I saw them the following weekend. Haven't seen them since so I assume he went in search of a new harem.
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Mason County exotics - 06/20/23 01:33 PM

We had a lease on the Llano River south of town that had Blackbuck and Axis. I also know of at least one area with free-range Aoudad as well.
Posted By: Kraken

Re: Mason County exotics - 06/20/23 08:27 PM

Axis and blackbuck are the most common, with some aoudad and fallow, and then the occasional very random animal.
Posted By: bigfootwolff

Re: Mason County exotics - 06/23/23 10:51 PM

I hunt in southeast Mason County, and the the longtime lease members have said they have never seen any exotics on the lease. Then 2 years ago a member saw 2 young bull Red Stag and he was able to harvest one of them, but none since. I had observed some free range blackbuck a few miles from the lease, but that was before the big freeze, so I am u sure if any survived.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum