Texas Hunting Forum

Axis free range guesses on how tall

Posted By: savoyspecial1

Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/13/17 03:59 AM

I don't know a lot about axis and my buddy just bought a small place. We checked the cameras and have axis coming out. Dont know enough about them to judge so let me know your opinions. Thanks

Here is some pics of different one that are coming out

Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/13/17 04:04 AM

Can't make a good measurement call, but I do know, if you see him, shoot him. They don't "hang around" like whitetail.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/13/17 04:12 AM

Good looking buck, not sure on the length but he does have good tine length and the main beams still have some growing to do. Like said above I would shoot him when the chance happens since they sometimes are here today and gone tomorrow.

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/13/17 04:17 AM

Going to go try and get one Wednesday morning. They seem to only be on camera in the morning but they are there every single morning. It will be my first axis just didn't want to shoot an immature buck that could get bigger or was not a trophy yet. I know they travel a lot but even if I didn't get it and it got bigger from age I am fine with that
Posted By: therancher

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/13/17 05:47 AM

Great buck! Good luck. I'd guess 32". Prove me right or wrong. BTW, he'll be the same length in either hi or lo fence... up
Posted By: b weezy

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/13/17 01:52 PM

Trophy...all three in bottom two pics are big also
Posted By: don k

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/13/17 03:34 PM

That one on the right in the first picture is a very good Buck. He is going to be at least 32" like therancher and said probably more.
Posted By: justinmeredith

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/13/17 06:46 PM

nice deer for sure
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/13/17 08:28 PM

I'd also guess that first one to be around 32"

Nice deer all around, go pop one ASAP rifle
Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/13/17 09:37 PM

Nice axis bucks for sure! The 3 big ones in the bottom pic all appear to be at least around the 28-30" mark and are in velvet so still growing. Most consider 32"+ to be trophy size for axis btw.

If your buddy doesn't have one on the wall yet he should make a trip soon, especially since you said it's a small piece of property. As others have said they will eventually move along or worse they'll be trapped out or shot by your neighbors.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/13/17 10:52 PM

Lucky! Did y'all know there were axis before purchase?
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/14/17 12:50 AM

Definitely a few shooters. Being LF I would shoot one while they're still around. Best of luck, post pics! texas
Posted By: HCHunter28

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/14/17 02:16 AM

He's not 32+. He'll be a couple inches shorter. He looks bigger because of how narrow he is. He's 30.165 inches.

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/14/17 05:16 AM

Saw an axis when he was looking at it to buy but didn't know we would see this many on a pretty small track of land. It backs up to a big piece of property that no one hunts and another couple hundred acres that is just used for business use. No blinds anywhere near the property. There is also a few giant fallow deer that have been on the camera too. Some whitetail but all pretty small, nothing over 130. I mainly hunt with an air rifle now just because I was getting bored of my regular rifle and looking for a challenge. I can't shoot whitetail with it but I know I can shoot exotics with it. I will be out there on Wednesday morning and see if I can get one on the ground but I don't just want to shoot any buck, want it to be fully developed and mature. Thanks for the input and I will post some pics if the right one steps out. Air rifle is a 45 cal shooting 410 gr slugs so it's not gamo crap or anything like that before I get all the hate responses lol.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/14/17 09:09 AM

Axis will fool you on the hoof. I would suggest looking at a LOT of pictures of big axis to get a better idea of what you're looking at. I've shot a couple gold medal bucks and a 28" buck still looks pretty impressive when I see one in the flesh.
Good luck with your hunt. Those are some good looking axis.
Posted By: HCHunter28

Re: Axis free range guesses on how tall - 02/17/17 01:23 AM

I'd shoot the narrow one. He's a great first axis and he'll help with judging others in the future. We like wide ones so we shoot the narrow bucks as culls.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum