Texas Hunting Forum

axis missing a caudal tine

Posted By: rsquared

axis missing a caudal tine - 04/24/14 02:24 PM

for those of you axis experts...

any idea why his right caudal tine did not grow?

i don't recall seeing any last year that are missing a caudal tine.

wondering if it will come back next year... or if it is a genetic flaw.

Posted By: NewJeep

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/24/14 02:40 PM

Genetics
Posted By: ram hunter 1964

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/24/14 02:43 PM

Healthy Deer for sure!!
Posted By: TravisMears.com

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/24/14 07:31 PM

Target rich environment.
Posted By: cazador1022

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/24/14 07:45 PM

ii don't know but that black buck is a HOSS
Posted By: Wallhanger

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/24/14 09:00 PM

Genetic Miscue Lets thin him out of the heard. food
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/25/14 12:34 AM

From the looks of his rack it looks he has had some sort of injury. If he was not like that last year then he will probably not be like that next year.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/25/14 12:40 AM

I'd still shoot him
Posted By: trf19

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/25/14 04:14 AM

A few years ago we had a axis that was otherwise very nice, about 32" and very wide, that was missing a caudal tine very similar to yours. We found a few younger bucks the next year that were also missing a caudal tine. Long story short...once we determined that it was genetic we cleared them out pretty quick.
Posted By: Exiled

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/25/14 05:59 PM

RSquared, I volunteer my humble services to remove such an undesirable specimen from your gene pool! smile

For those of you seeing pics of Rsquared's place, he's got a rare strain of heavy-duty blackbucks out there, I'm pretty sure I heard them wheezing from a distance! smile
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/25/14 06:25 PM

If Exiled can't make it out there I'm sure I can do the favor and take him out of the herd for you.

On a serious note, it's probably genetics or an injury but he looks plenty healthy.
Posted By: rsquared

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/25/14 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Exiled
RSquared, I volunteer my humble services to remove such an undesirable specimen from your gene pool! smile

For those of you seeing pics of Rsquared's place, he's got a rare strain of heavy-duty blackbucks out there, I'm pretty sure I heard them wheezing from a distance! smile

there is nothing humble about your services... smile

and besides, if you had shot that BB doe like i told you too, then maybe the males would have to run more to find new babes...
Posted By: Leterbuck

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/26/14 12:56 AM

Thats a toad of an axis! Good looking herd. What would a black buck cost to shoot? I want one to put on the wall.
Posted By: JPHunting

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/26/14 12:13 PM

Looks like genetics to me, doesnt mean it won't grow back next year though. There was one fallow buck last year that grew no trez tines after always having them and then this year they were back and bigger than ever! Just happens sometimes, though some deer carry those traits for life.
Posted By: Exiled

Re: axis missing a caudal tine - 04/29/14 01:09 PM

Bah, two days worth of spot&stalk and blind sitting looking for a BB, Axis or WT doe and/or Aoudad ewe, ended up seeing nothing but males (sausagefest?)of all species, including one of the biggest WT bucks I've ever seen live. Maybe next time, still had a blast!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum