Texas Hunting Forum

Great Trip

Posted By: LuckyHunter

Great Trip - 04/11/14 05:17 AM

Well ,the itch got scratched again.

Several months ago I read a THF post from a hunter in Alaska who made a sheep hunting trip to Texas. The gentleman hunted with GRanch where he took a great Armenian Mouflon. Then he traveled on to the Priour Ranch and harvested his Afghan Urial.

I knew the Alaskan gentleman had good taste because I traveled to Alaska for my Dall Sheep and I also hunted the GRanch to take my Armenian. 

So when Friday night I got a call from the New ranch manager of the Priour Ranch saying they had a cancellation would I be interested. Yes. I left at 6:00 am Saturday morning. 7 hours later, I arrived in Kerrville had a quick lunch and then drove to Mt. Home,Tx.   

I met my guide (John) at the ranch gate and once we transferred my gear to the hunting wagon we soon began driving to the west side of the 5000 ranch.

While traveling over this ranch I saw numerous Afghan. However nothing met my goal because personally I wanted some white in the mane. This time of year sheep hair is changing therefore some rams still had most of their winter coats and others were headed towards their summer coat.

The great Jack O’Connor referred to Urial sheep as the running sheep. I agree because by my count I saw 50+ afghan sheep and they all had 2 speeds if “out of range” they run or “if their in range” they run and in both cases never look back.

My Guide was patient the whole time saying when you see him you will know.

He decided we would move to one of the owners other ranches about 20 miles away and see if we could find the ram I came after. We hunted from a blind where game cams had shown some Afghan. We had a few younger rams come in and ewes with their new born lambs. They put on a show jumping, running and of course bothering mom.

It was getting late so John left the blind to go after the hunting truck. I got out to stretch my legs. Soon I began glassing, spotting 5 rams traveling together. I flagged down my returning guide. Quickly in the fading light we put on a stalk and while looking over the 5 rams out stepped this guy. I saw Ridges on horns, white in mane and beautiful horn style.  BAM !!
I was as excited as if I had just harvested my first deer 45 years ago.

The picture of ram did not come out real colorful because light was scarce, I left my camera back in my truck 30 to 40 minutes away yet good old John had his old i-phone. Glad he had it. Thanks John. Sometimes things just happen fast....

This time of year hunting the Hill Country is so beautiful so I decided to add a couple of landscape pictures I took when I actually had my camera. Cactus and Bluebonnets in full bloom. Once again I was blessed to enjoy another great adventure and arrived home late Monday night safe and sound. Great trip.

Thank’s to the Priour Ranch and John for calling Friday night.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Great Trip - 04/11/14 05:22 AM

Great looking ram and congrats on a successful hunt up
Posted By: KODIAK

Re: Great Trip - 04/11/14 06:38 AM

Congratulations on a great trip and an Awesome ram!...those Urials are ALWSYS running...lol.
Seems we both suffer from the same addiction of chasing rams. We should get together for a hunt....I think I need a Transcaspian...:)
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Great Trip - 04/11/14 09:30 AM

Thanks for the neat story!
Posted By: MSU

Re: Great Trip - 04/11/14 11:25 AM

Congrats Sheephunter, Glad you got another one off your list. As always good story
Posted By: don k

Re: Great Trip - 04/11/14 12:06 PM

Great story and a really good looking sheep.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Great Trip - 04/11/14 12:44 PM

Great story and hunt! I have a friend who hunted Markhor there and said it was a tough hunt.

Originally Posted By: KODIAK
Congratulations on a great trip and an Awesome ram!...those Urials are ALWSYS running...lol.
Seems we both suffer from the same addiction of chasing rams. We should get together for a hunt....I think I need a Transcaspian...:)

Guess who has Transcaspians now? grin
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Great Trip - 04/11/14 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: KODIAK

I just hope von netzer calls us back for a hunt this fall.....I can't stand looking at this pics any longer

Great Sheep!
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Great Trip - 04/11/14 06:34 PM

Great ram and a nice narrative....congratulations
Posted By: TB338

Re: Great Trip - 04/11/14 07:47 PM

Great Ram !!!
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Great Trip - 04/11/14 11:15 PM

Looks like you had a great time....memories that last a lifetime!!!

Congrats
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Great Trip - 04/12/14 12:53 AM

AWESOME Ram. good story. Forrest
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Great Trip - 04/12/14 06:54 PM

Thanks everyone.... Good Hunting to All cheers
Posted By: utcb

Re: Great Trip - 04/14/14 02:53 PM

Congrats. Really good looking ram!
Posted By: G ranch

Re: Great Trip - 04/14/14 06:16 PM