Texas Hunting Forum

Stupid question??

Posted By: wwhunter

Stupid question?? - 02/08/14 07:47 PM

My cousin an I are thinking about taking our grandpa on one of the cheap ram hunts. Kinda wondering if these young half curl rams are worth eating. Also recommendations on hunts would be appreciated
Posted By: traviselmore

Re: Stupid question?? - 02/08/14 09:19 PM

You can eat rams however they are typically not very good. I know some will say that you can get them to taste ok but if your looking for a meat hunt I would say do an exotic doe hunt. Most any of the deer are goin to be much better than the rams. Also on a cheap small ram hunt you are going to get what you pay for which is probably not going to be very much. I think you would be better in either doing a trophy ram hunt for a trophy or a exotic doe/cull hunt for meat, depending on which you are leaning more toward.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Stupid question?? - 02/08/14 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: wwhunter
My cousin an I are thinking about taking our grandpa on one of the cheap ram hunts. Kinda wondering if these young half curl rams are worth eating. Also recommendations on hunts would be appreciated

I haven't found one yet! grin
Posted By: wwhunter

Re: Stupid question?? - 02/08/14 09:54 PM

Didnt really care if its a trophy or edible for that matter we just wanted to go hunt with our grandad for a couple days and figure the ram hunts were cheap. Guess Ill have to do some more research on doe/meat hunts and see if i can find in a comperable price range.
Posted By: Texas Sunset Safari

Re: Stupid question?? - 02/11/14 05:47 AM

PM Sent
Posted By: gaharris

Re: Stupid question?? - 02/11/14 10:25 AM

Pm sent, I have some Blackbuck does that we are going to sell some spring hunts for $200-$250 each if you would be interested.
I sent you my info, please feel free to contact me if you are interested
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Stupid question?? - 02/12/14 08:06 PM

Find you an Axis doe hunt and enjoy the hunt and the table fare afterwards.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Stupid question?? - 02/12/14 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
Find you an Axis doe hunt and enjoy the hunt and the table fare afterwards.

x2
Posted By: Trenton

Re: Stupid question?? - 02/27/14 06:09 PM

mark
Posted By: Junior Samples

Re: Stupid question?? - 03/04/14 02:10 PM

Axis is more bang for your buck. In comparison to wt, they have a beautiful pelt to tan, larger than wt, meat's more tender, how ever prepared & not as gamey. Good luck afield with you grandad, whatever you choose to hunt.
JS
Posted By: BwanaBob1967

Re: Stupid question?? - 03/04/14 08:22 PM

Fallow deer can also have a great pelt (had one tanned and use is as a table covering in my trophy room) and are very good eating, better than whitetail (at least I think so).

Have you thought about taking your grandfather on a hog hunt? Some can be found at reasonable prices and they are good eating.
Posted By: the lab

Re: Stupid question?? - 03/04/14 09:45 PM

I have been on hunts where 3 different rams were taken. I hate "wasting" meat so even though I did not take all 3 rams I did take all the meat. I agree it is not the best table fare when it comes to steaks, but it grinds fantastic. I mix mine about 5 to 1 with some ground pork. As for the where, I hunted last year with Double K Outfitters in Kosse Tx. He has a fantastic ranch and very nice rams for a very reasonable rates I think rams run $500 no matter the size. I don't think Kelly has a web page yet, but you can find him on facebook. Good luck wherever you go
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: Stupid question?? - 03/05/14 02:37 AM

Call Wendy Lou ranch. See lots of cool animals and get lots of good meat for a reasonable price with their red deer hinds at $350 per.
http://www.wendyloureserve.com/rates.html
Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Stupid question?? - 03/06/14 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: bjones2571
Call Wendy Lou ranch. See lots of cool animals and get lots of good meat for a reasonable price with their red deer hinds at $350 per.
WOW, if that is all that is included in the hunt, that is an excellent price!! I'm Guessing there are probably guide's fees and other fees in there with this though right??
Posted By: mnhuntingadventures

Re: Stupid question?? - 03/06/14 08:42 AM

Originally Posted By: 1FowlHntR
WOW, if that is all that is included in the hunt, that is an excellent price!! I'm Guessing there are probably guide's fees and other fees in there with this though right??

As far as can tell, there are guide fees at 200. A day + meals and lodging at 250. A day + the animals. So a 2 day red hinds = 1250. I think. You'd have to call.
Posted By: mnhuntingadventures

Re: Stupid question?? - 03/06/14 08:50 AM

I'd suggest an Axis doe hunt. Some places are pretty cheap and only charge a couple hundred for a hunt. Otherwise I'd go with a hog hunt if your trying to keep costs down. I know a guy that charges 550 per hunter for a 3 day hunt unlimited hogs and lodging included. No other fees. $550. Is total price. Pm if you want contact information.
-Jake
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: Stupid question?? - 03/06/14 06:55 PM

There arent guide fees on the meat hunts. At least there werent when I went in December. If you want to stay at the lodge there will be fees for that I'm sure. Call and talk to Mike and he'll get you set up. Tell him Brendan sent ya.
Posted By: WRS RANCH 1997

Re: Stupid question?? - 03/06/14 09:19 PM

www.wrsranch.com
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: Stupid question?? - 03/06/14 10:14 PM

WRS can you send me a pm? I tried sending a ok and your inbox is full. Tried calling and vxml is full as well. Thanks!
Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Stupid question?? - 03/07/14 03:33 AM

There arent guide fees on the meat hunts. At least there werent when I went in December. If you want to stay at the lodge there will be fees for that I'm sure. Call and talk to Mike and he'll get you set up. Tell him Brendan sent ya.
THAT'S A SMOKING HOT DEAL THEN!!!
Posted By: Mohawg

Re: Stupid question?? - 03/07/14 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: wwhunter
If you have the ram ground up, mixed with pork and make smoked links, they are good to eat. grill
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum