Texas Hunting Forum

new world record?

Posted By: Aaron-Ibex

new world record? - 01/05/13 03:19 AM

Ok so I shot a huge 1800# water buffalo with my bow. I was very fortunate to have hit him in the heart and he expired very quickly with only one shot. I was told he may be a new
world record but I haven't a clue. he scores 112" total. His horns were 43"
long. a monster. anyone have at idea about the record? I absolutely don't do this for "records" but am obviously now curious.

Posted By: Texan0718

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 03:34 AM

He does look huge. What measurements did you take to come up with a total of 112? There would be four measurements for each horn, over all horn length following the outside curve of the horns, around the base next to the skull, a circumference at a point 1/4 the distance along the overall horn length, a circumference at a point 1/2 the distance along the overall horn length and a circumference at a point 3/4 the distance along the overall horn length.

If the overall horn length is 43 inches as you state then he should be bigger than 112.

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 03:35 AM

we only did 4 measurements total. the length on each side and each base

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 03:36 AM

records of exotics shows last years #1 to be 97" I think.
Posted By: rsbcool

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 03:37 AM

SCI shows just over 110 at #1 don't know if that's current. Great buffalo. Congrats

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 03:40 AM

there's probably another 35" then...close to 140"?! wowzers.
Posted By: Dustin 08

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 04:07 AM

Congrats nice buff
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 04:43 AM

Definitely one of the biggest bulls I've seen come out of Texas!! Awesome!!
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Texan0718
He does look huge. What measurements did you take to come up with a total of 112? There would be four measurements for each horn, over all horn length following the outside curve of the horns, around the base next to the skull, a circumference at a point 1/4 the distance along the overall horn length, a circumference at a point 1/2 the distance along the overall horn length and a circumference at a point 3/4 the distance along the overall horn length.

If the overall horn length is 43 inches as you state then he should be bigger than 112.

Never heard of that....most scoring methods only use length and base measurements for horned animals. What method are you referring to?
Posted By: madhatr02

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 05:39 AM

and with a bow!!!!! Good job
Posted By: Roo Basher

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 05:41 AM

http://www.pursuetheoutdoors.com/hunting/trophy-scoring/sci/Method_3.pdf

Length of horn, circumfrance of horn at base. That's it.
Posted By: Roo Basher

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 05:56 AM

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if it is a world record or a personal record. It's nice that you spent time in the outdoors with your son.

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 06:31 AM

thanks guys. yeah I am no record chaser. I didn't have a clue about even scoring this type of animal. memories for sure.
Posted By: fbchunter

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 01:26 PM

Congrats, great animal, especially with a bow, nice shot!
Posted By: Kimber1911

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 02:05 PM

Hey guys if you score it TGR it's the length of the horn plus 4 mass measurements. You take the length of the horn and divide it by 4 to see where you take the 2nd,3rd,4th mass measurement.

I know it's different then all of the other scoring n methods. You actually score in centimeters as well
Posted By: BBD84

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Robert Stuart
Hey guys if you score it TGR it's the length of the horn plus 4 mass measurements. You take the length of the horn and divide it by 4 to see where you take the 2nd,3rd,4th mass measurement.

I know it's different then all of the other scoring n methods. You actually score in centimeters as well
this, i would enter it just to have the plaque and memories with the boy with the mount, congrats to the both of you.
Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 07:38 PM

Great animal
Posted By: TCB

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 10:13 PM

Awesome bow kill..congrat's on a huge bull.
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: new world record? - 01/05/13 11:56 PM

Very nice bull. Mind telling what you used? Draw Weight, Arrow Weight, Broadhead? How long was your shot?

Re: new world record? - 01/06/13 12:12 AM

Mathews z7. Draw weight 55lbs. Easton axis 500 arrow. Interloc falcon broad heads. Shot was 32 yards. The set up seems way light I know. But I've taken all sorts of animals including this 1800lb bill and had no issues. I think it's more about shot placement. Just my view.

Here is the entrance

Re: new world record? - 01/06/13 12:57 AM

Well it's a new record! 116 1/8! Pretty cool!!
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: new world record? - 01/06/13 02:42 AM

Awesome! Congrats on the record and thanks for the information. Nice bullet hole entry. I'm planning a Bison hunt in British Columbia next fall so was interested in your setup.
Posted By: Trozacky

Re: new world record? - 01/06/13 02:48 AM

Never really had and urge to hunt those badboys but that is an awesome animal and I would be more than proud of that monster. Congratulations!!

Re: new world record? - 01/06/13 03:55 AM

Te bisons ribs are spread out a good amount. You should have no problem regardless of your set up.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: new world record? - 01/06/13 04:46 AM

Great shot non the less, i was hoping you would get him with the bow. Great job and congrats to the both of yall
Posted By: TxBassAssassin

Re: new world record? - 01/06/13 04:50 AM

nice
Posted By: cmc

Re: new world record? - 01/06/13 12:19 PM

Did you actually put him on a scale?

Re: new world record? - 01/06/13 02:10 PM

No. The rancher said he was 2100lb a few month ago and said he probably lost 200-300 lbs this winter.

Re: new world record? - 01/06/13 05:01 PM

That's a few burgers. Just wondering if the rancher knew or was guessing or what. Big critter either way, congrats.
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: new world record? - 01/06/13 05:05 PM

Awesome! Congrats.
Posted By: Rickey Hunt

Re: new world record? - 01/07/13 02:38 PM

Congrats on a huge trophy!!!
Posted By: Rttemplet

Re: new world record? - 01/08/13 12:06 AM

Where did you get him?

Re: new world record? - 01/08/13 05:06 AM

Nine bar ranch, Decatur Texas
Posted By: Joosh89

Re: new world record? - 01/08/13 04:42 PM

Great animal.
Posted By: GuidedHunter

Re: new world record? - 01/10/13 01:00 AM

Regardless of the record... that is flippin awesome.
Posted By: Moosetamer

Re: new world record? - 01/10/13 02:06 AM

Very Very Nice
Posted By: gaharris

Re: new world record? - 01/10/13 01:51 PM

Awesome bull, congrats

By the way isn't the TGR scoring method mentioned on one of the post here just a way for outfitters to get higher scores? Like 4 circumference measurements? and I know they wrap the tape when they measure Axis bucks instead of a straight tape.
Just asking, I am not all that familar with exotic scoring methods. I normally rely on my taxi do score ours
Posted By: Curtis

Re: new world record? - 01/10/13 02:02 PM

TGR scores do not use a tape for the main beam lengths on axis. You are supposed to use a wire. And if its getting wrapped around the antler then you need to get a different measurer to do it right for you.
Posted By: fvh40

Re: new world record? - 01/10/13 02:11 PM

Great bull, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: new world record? - 01/10/13 02:14 PM

Congrats! Great bull
Posted By: gaharris

Re: new world record? - 01/10/13 02:52 PM

Curtis, thanks for clarifying. The place where I shot my Axis buck this past summer wrapped the tape and it made the overall length 1-2" longer than it really was. He claimed it was the TGR scoring method.
Posted By: Texan0718

Re: new world record? - 01/11/13 01:46 AM

gaharris,

I would be interested in knowing where you hunted. I am on the TGR technical committee and we try very hard to ensure that all of our scorers measure the same way. However, I want to ask for clarification, did they wrap the tape around the antler or did they use a swing point? This is two different things. TGR does use a swing point on antlered game. The allows you to measure main beam length by beginning at the lowest point on the base and then after reaching the point on the antler where the convexity of the antler changes directions you use a swing point to switch to the opposite side of the antler in order to follow the outside curve of the main beam.

Also Curtis is correct, official scores for entry in the TGR record keeping system as supposed to be taken using a cable and not a measuring tape. A cable allows scorers to follow that antler/horn as closely as possible. This is especially important when measuring knobby horned game like ibex or blackbuck. In measuring these animals the measurement is taken by following the surface of the horn, i.e. up an over the knob, down into the valley in between the knobs and back up and over the next knob.

The TGR system is based upon the one developed by Dr. Joe Burkett and is designed to give the animal full credit for the antler, horn, tusk or skulls they have grown. It does this by giving credit for the full volumetric mass displacement that can be measured. So yes, on conic horned game, i,e., buffalo, sheep, African game, etc., we do take 4 circumferences. Thus, if desired, by using geometric calculations the volume of water displacement, i.e. mass, of the horn can be calculated. In the end it gives the animal full credit for not only the length of the horns but also the mass they have grown. Thus, two animals that have horns with the same length and basal circumference measurements would tie in other scoring systems. However, in the TGR system one of them will out score the other due to the additional amount of mass they grew over their competitor, thus receiving full credit for all of the horn that they grew.

Hope this helps clarify a the confusion.

Denny
Posted By: BMD

Re: new world record? - 01/11/13 01:50 AM

Great bull!

Re: new world record? - 01/11/13 03:06 PM

I've never thought about hunting these things. I pass a pasture in Jack county on the way to the land that had some in it and never paid attention but the more I look at this giant the more I'm considering trying to find one.

Re: new world record? - 01/11/13 03:39 PM

Yeah I was the same CMC. However, the fact that you get 500+lbs of LEAN beef from them...made perfect sense for me. gorgeous animals.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum