Texas Hunting Forum

Y.O. Ranch

Posted By: axismaster

Y.O. Ranch - 10/31/12 09:38 PM

I am contemplating about a potential hunt for This year or next at the Y.O. What are your opinions and reviews of the place??
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 10/31/12 09:56 PM

$$$$ I think you find same quaility at a lower price at some other prices JMO.
Posted By: TB338

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 10/31/12 10:35 PM

What do U want to hunt ??
Posted By: don k

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 10/31/12 11:22 PM

The YO is a neat big place. I always enjoy the ride from Hwy 41 to the head quarters. No telling what you will see. Only thing I don't like is the road from the gate to the head quarters. Even if you don't hunt it go to see the mounted game in the chuck Wagon and Head Quarters building. The have a couple of the largest Ibex I have ever seen mounted.

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 10/31/12 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: STAGMAN

Grants Gazelle.
Posted By: TXjager

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 02:21 AM

Overpriced by a pretty wide margin. Not sure why anybody would pay to hunt there. Lotta mediocre animals taken there each year too.
Posted By: Aaron-Ibex

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 02:22 AM

Yeah I don't understand the popularity of the YO. They seem high and is agree about the inferior animals.
Posted By: Otto

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 02:39 AM

Way overpriced indeed.
Posted By: WRS RANCH 1997

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 01:40 PM

40,000. ACRES OF FAIR CHASE HUNTING FOR 30 DIFFERENT SPECIES IS WHAT SEPERATES US FROM THE REST OF THE PACK.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 03:32 PM

I've hunted the YO about 8 years ago enjoyed it.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 05:57 PM

You try that grey castle if your looking for a gazalle.
Posted By: temmi

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: WALTER SCHREINER
40,000. ACRES OF FAIR CHASE HUNTING FOR 30 DIFFERENT SPECIES IS WHAT SEPERATES US FROM THE REST OF THE PACK.

Yep

Snake
Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 07:00 PM

The YO is in a class all it's own. They invented the business and tho I compete with them I don't begrudge them of anything. Any premium in pricing is still a bargain when looking at what u get for Ur money. Incredible place and organization.

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 07:18 PM

take a look at the RECORD BOOKS to see how many TROPHIES we put in the books for last 35+ years. thanks

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: WALTER SCHREINER

You happen to have any nice Grant's Gazelle to hunt Mr. Schreiner?

And guys there is a difference in paying for a "deal" and a "quality hunt". I'm not saying deals are bad, but my first time exotic hunting in Texas wasn't exactly a memorable experience that my dad happened to get a 'deal' on. crazy

Now other places I've been to since then have for the most part been a quality hunt. There's a difference between paying $1500 for an Axis Deer and road bombing it out of a pick up truck and paying $2500 or more for working your a$$ off for one though.

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 08:03 PM

no we dont at the moment.i have friends that have them ill check whats available for you. thanks, walter

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 08:12 PM

Oh ok! Does Y.O. have their own breeding herd though of Grants?

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 08:34 PM

For Grant Gazelles I would try the Record Buck ranch or 777ranch

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 09:15 PM

Record Buck has Grants???

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 09:43 PM

YO is a great place and it's considered fair chase because of the size of the ranch but thanks I'm not paying $3500.00 + for an Axis hunt!!!!!! or $17000+ for a Kudu?????? You can go to Africa and kill a kudu and a bunch of plains game for that kind of money!!!!
I'm sure they don't need my money anyway. grin
Posted By: don k

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 10:12 PM

What is the difference in going to a place and paying more for something than you would at another? People go to Ruth Chriss and pay big bucks for a steak they could have gotten for a lot less at some other. It is all in the atmosphere and what a person can afford. If you can afford it stay at a Marriott instead of motel 6. But don't tell a person he can get the same quality of hunt at XYZ Outfitting as he would at some place that charges more.
Posted By: heathe

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/01/12 11:57 PM

the record buck will buy what ever you want and put out there.

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: heathe
the record buck will buy what ever you want and put out there.

and call it challenging. laugh

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: don k

What is the difference in going to a place and paying more for something than you would at another? People go to Ruth Chriss and pay big bucks for a steak they could have gotten for a lot less at some other. It is all in the atmosphere and what a person can afford. If you can afford it stay at a Marriott instead of motel 6. But don't tell a person he can get the same quality of hunt at XYZ Outfitting as he would at some place that charges more.

I'm a Marriott platinum member and eat at Chris Ruth or Del Frisco whenever I want.Also I'm not telling anybody to go hunt somewhere. I'm speaking of choices you have when you spend that kind of money. Having money does not mean that you have to be stupid about it but I guess some people are.

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 12:14 AM

How many acres is Record Buck??

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 01:11 AM

The Buck is a total of almost 20000 acres there smallest pasture is just under 3000 acres but if they buy some of the more expensive animals they will put them in what they call Jurassic Park which is a small pasture about 30 to 40 acres. Im not knocking them they are just protecting there investment and they are up front with there hunters by letting them know that it is a smaller pasture. Atleast I was when I was the asst Mgr there.

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 01:13 AM

Lol! 30-40 acres!!??? Sounds like shooting fish in a jar.

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 01:16 AM

Yea I now but if you where to spend 5 to 10k on an animal for a client you couldnt turm him loose on 2000 acres and find him not in Utopia most of the Buck is rough azz country.

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 01:20 AM

Still something more reasonable, like 400-500 acres with nice bits of brush at least

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 01:25 AM

yea i understand. But it is a very nice place and if you have the chance to hunt it do it nice animals all over the place big herds.
Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 06:21 AM

I think people talking bad about the YO need to really think about what they are saying before they say it. These people are class act, with a great place...and have done more for the exotic hunting business than any other ranch in Texas. Not to mention they are working hard on getting the three animals that had hunting restrictions placed on them this year - trying to get that overturned. If you like exotic hunting, thank the YO.

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 11:37 AM

I would hunt RB before YO any day . Have U folks been to the YO , Trash everywere laying around, broken pens, old crap..the rooms suck, I was there about 7 years ago..
Posted By: crazyal

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 02:40 PM

Wow I hunted there about 8.5 years ago with my dad and my brother when I came home on leave from the Marine Corps. The 3 of us were looking for trophy Axis. I shot mine from the truck just because the shot presented it's self and the animal was starting for the brush. My dad and brother got to stalk theirs. We all ended up with bucks 30" and over which is what we wanted. We had nice rooms and good food while we were there. Our guide was a very nice guy if I remember right his name was Jim. We had a good time and a good hunt. Back then the animal prices were a lot less though. I have since hunted on Walter's WRS ranch with his guide Ricky and had a good experience there too. My only complaint about anything associated with the YO ranch is the processor Woodburys messed up our order terribly and gave us easily 3x the amount of sausage we had ordered and little of anything else. Mistakes happen though. I like the history of the YO. If you have the money to hunt there I think it's worth it.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: axismaster

Grants Gazelle.

Give Jennifer at 777ranch a call. Website in sig. First class place the whole way.
Posted By: TXjager

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 02:59 PM

The Ruth's Chris anology is not accurate. Ruth's Chris serves better quality steaks than you can normally buy at the grocery store or at a cheaper steakhouse.

YO prices only make sense if every animal sold at those prices scores HIGH gold. Paying $3,500 for a 30" axis is ridiculous.

YO may very well put a bunch of animals in the record books, but they also charge many other people the same premium prices for rather average animals too.

I just watched a TV show shot at YO where they hunted axis, and these animals were no better than you'd find all over the state.

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 03:36 PM

we consistently shoot 32- 38 inch axis every year.

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 03:44 PM

i like the old time phrase" YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

40,000 ACRES OF TEXAS HISTORY.

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/02/12 11:54 PM

I would hunt RB before YO any day . Have U folks been to the YO , Trash everywere laying around, broken pens, old crap..the rooms suck, I was there about 7 years ago..

Huh??? Is that the Y.O. That I even know??
Posted By: Mohawg

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/03/12 01:38 AM

I've taken my 10 year Grandson for the last 2 years in a row and hunted Walter's WRS. We were there about 3 weeks ago. The prices were not out of line at all, and Ricky is as good as it gets. No surprises, no B.S. Lots of game there and Good People. That little boy now has a 37" white ram to go with his Red Stag from last year. Happy Kiddo!

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/03/12 06:20 PM

thanks robert. we try hard. you got any pics of big dall you can post? thanks, walter

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/05/12 01:01 AM

Yep. I'll try to get done tomorrow . Been workin on fence.

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/06/12 02:30 AM

Monte's Dall Ram taken with muzzle loader. On the WRS Ranch in October.

Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Y.O. Ranch - 11/08/12 06:25 AM

They might not have grants gazelle, but if you want a shot at a record book animal with fair price, try the Flying A Ranch in Bandera.

Heres some proof

Went #3 in SCI

This one tied for 5th in SCI
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum