Texas Hunting Forum

Question about Axis Bucks??

Posted By: BowHunterMAC

Question about Axis Bucks?? - 01/05/08 05:12 AM

What is a way I can judge an axis bucks size on the hoof? Is there a easy way to guestimate main beam length that is fairly accurate? I am going on a hunt this week and want to bag a nice trophy and would like 35 inches or better...just wondering if there is an easy way to distinguish between a 25 - 30 incher and big boy? any info would be helpful.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Question about Axis Bucks?? - 01/06/08 10:12 PM

Im no expert but I believe 30" is the par line. I hunt them free range and they are hard to judge. 28-31 look real close together! and they get some ground shrinkage. 35 is enormous. The is a dude that specializes in axis in Florida I have emailed him befor and he answeed my questions.

Posted By: HunterTed

Re: Question about Axis Bucks?? - 01/07/08 12:19 AM

Where you going for Axis? I am booked at Baker 3 ranch in July for Axis and Blackbuck.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Question about Axis Bucks?? - 01/07/08 12:59 AM

a 25 in axis looks fairly tall, but a 30 in axis will look huge. they are the hardest exotic to judge, and they all get ground shrinkage.

study alot of pictures before your hunt

Posted By: OldChunkOfCoal

Re: Question about Axis Bucks?? - 01/14/08 08:40 PM

I've got the same issue. We have a bunch of free range axis. I'd like to take a big buck, but I want to make sure he's a wall hanger.

What would you say is the cutoff for a wall hanger? 30 inches?

Where would you look at pictures to judge?

Re: Question about Axis Bucks?? - 01/14/08 08:49 PM

a 30 in is the benchmark for a trophy, but depending on how the antlers are lay'd out, a 26 or 27 inch deer is fine to mount.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Question about Axis Bucks?? - 01/14/08 08:58 PM

Quote:

a 30 in is the benchmark for a trophy, but depending on how the antlers are lay'd out, a 26 or 27 inch deer is fine to mount.

agreed

Posted By: fitchjr

Re: Question about Axis Bucks?? - 01/14/08 11:03 PM

Axis are probably the hardest to judge, for me anyways. When I was guiding, they would normally be in good size herds so I could compare among the others. Also look for the antlers to be higher than the back when the axis is grazing.

The first pic is of a 33" Axis I shot. The second pic is of a 36" Axis that I had a hunter pass on, until the last day. If I could have judged that deer to be 36" it would have been down alot quicker.
33"

36"

Re: Question about Axis Bucks?? - 01/15/08 02:12 PM

Thanks for the points of reference and the tip about the antlers being higher than the back when he's grazing.

Very helpful.

Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Question about Axis Bucks?? - 01/15/08 02:30 PM

Here is a Picture of my AXIS I believe he was 27" but you know I never measured him. He is on the wall reguardless. If it makes you happy then that should be all that matters

Re: Question about Axis Bucks?? - 01/15/08 03:50 PM

I agree, 10pointers. That's a beautiful deer - definitely good for the wall.

I just am not in a hurry, and I don't want to be hasty with buck fever then get a bunch of ground shrinkage and take out one prematurely. Just want to pick my time and tag one for the wall when it presents itself. I'd certainly be happy with one like yours.

Re: Question about Axis Bucks?? - 01/15/08 07:04 PM

10 pointers is a good one, good brows and nice cottle tines.

definatly one to put on the wall.

only when their in the 25 in range does it become iffy

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum