Texas Hunting Forum

New World Record Aoudad?

Posted By: texas republic

New World Record Aoudad? - 10/29/10 06:24 PM

Any pictures of this beast the article talks about? Did this ever pan out to anything, or did I just miss this somehow? Article and link pasted below:

http://www.allaboutexotics.com/2010/08/new-world-record-aoudad/

There is news out of SW Texas that a potential new world record aoudad ram may have been harvested near Rocksprings, Tx very recently. The ram is rumored to have horn lengths of 44 inches! Eighty-eight inches of horn coupled w/ even average mass measurements would give the current world records a run for their money, to say the least!

The current SCI scoring record is currently held by LeNan Hancock and scores 166 & 6/8″ SCI, while Larry Casey’s 130 & 7/8″ ram tops the charts in the ROE record book (Hancock’s ram is #2 in ROE). If these initial reports are true and this new ram does sport close to 44″ horns, it will most likely shattered both records. Casey’s record ram had 39 & 40 inch horns, while Hancock’s trophy could boast only 39 & 37 inch measurements! This gives some idea just how big this ram could be…44″ is mind blowing!

We will keep you posted on any pictures or news about this giant ram as it becomes available.

Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/01/10 05:39 AM

44 inch horns!
I wont believe it until I see it.

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/01/10 06:05 AM

Originally Posted By: mulie_mike
44 inch horns!
I wont believe it until I see it.

+1

I've seen pictures of LeNan Hancock's ram and it's unbelievable (If I remember correctly.....somewhere around 350 lbs as well)!! Couldn't imagine a ram with another 5+ inches of horn....

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/01/10 10:26 PM

Agreed. I cant believe no one has any info on this. I just stumbled onto this website. I want pics!

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 03:59 AM

If there arent any pictures or info then it probably isnt true.
Heck a 38 incher out of Marfa made the papers then this one should have been all over the place...

Posted By: bigtuna

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 04:13 AM

I don't see how an Aoudad's horns could get that big. This is my cousin's 36" ram and he was already poking into his side on both sides according to him.

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: bigtuna
I don't see how an Aoudad's horns could get that big. This is my cousin's 36" ram and he was already poking into his side on both sides according to him.

LeNan Hancock's ram had huge scars on both sides of his neck from his horns....

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer

was that the one the lady shot a few years back near junction or something?

if i remeber correctly it really could't turn his head, the horns were digging into his shoulders on both sides

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

if i remeber correctly it really could't turn his head, the horns were digging into his shoulders on both sides

He was shot off of Blue Mountain Rd up north of there and I have met the lady who killed it. I have personally seen and measured a pick up of a dead one from Pipe Creeka bout 8 or 9 yrs ago that has never been entered in the books that was over 40"+ x 39"+ and scored around 167+ if I remember right. He would have been the new SCI record if entered. There have been 2 current top 10 SCI killed off of this ranch. I have a friend who took a 38"+ x 37"+ there that is number 9 and he took another this last month that is number 10. So they can get that big but it is rare and they have to be very old on top of that. There growth really seems to slow after 6 to 8 yrs of age. But with all of them pics will not be the same as actually seeing them in person.

Posted By: jefkut

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

He was shot off of Blue Mountain Rd up north of there and I have met the lady who killed it. I have personally seen and measured a pick up of a dead one from Pipe Creeka bout 8 or 9 yrs ago that has never been entered in the books that was over 40"+ x 39"+ and scored around 167+ if I remember right. He would have been the new SCI record if entered. There have been 2 current top 10 SCI killed off of this ranch. I have a friend who took a 38"+ x 37"+ there that is number 9 and he took another this last month that is number 10. So they can get that big but it is rare and they have to be very old on top of that. There growth really seems to slow after 6 to 8 yrs of age. But with all of them pics will not be the same as actually seeing them in person.

Just curious, but why wouldn't you enter it if you knew you just shot the new SCI record?

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 03:00 PM

Cool pic BigTuna. Your cousin shot a monster

Posted By: Curtis

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 03:22 PM

I would love to see pics of this ram. I don't doubt it could happen, but it sure would be a lot easier to believe with a picture.

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 03:53 PM

jefkut He put it up for sale and never sold. The owner thought that in selling it the new owner would want to enter it under his name. This one was found dead of old age and never shot.

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 04:21 PM

Hey stxranchman....thanks for clarifying. All makes sense to me now!

Posted By: tidbit824

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 07:47 PM

Tidbit here,

Mulie-Mike where are you? Mike hunts in south Texas near Big Bend and has had hunters take some good sheep: come-on Mike give us the specks on your biggest ram?

I hunted with Mike this past Spring and it was a fine hunt: hiking up every moring, spending the day glassing sheep, and MAYBE getting a shot.

tidbit

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 08:52 PM

Were waiting for an official score to be done before I start throwing numbers oout there.

Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 09:06 PM

Were waiting for an official score to be done before I start throwing numbers oout there.
I CAN Respect that up

Posted By: 7mag

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/02/10 10:06 PM

The pic mulie mike sent me and my measurments will shatter the current SCI record by 3.8 inches

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/03/10 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: 7mag
The pic mulie mike sent me and my measurments will shatter the current SCI record by 3.8 inches

Do what?????

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/03/10 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: tidbit824
Tidbit here,

Mike hunts in south Texas near Big Bend

man some of you guys really need a geography lesson.....

Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/03/10 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: tidbit824
Tidbit here,

Mike hunts in south Texas near Big Bend

man some of you guys really need a geography lesson.....

rofl

Put up a map to show them.......

BIG BEND....also known as Trans Pecos......

Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/03/10 01:02 AM

Does that help everyone...... popcorn

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/03/10 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Does that help everyone...... popcorn
\

thanks for that, everyone......study this!!!

for the record, this isn't entirely accurate, south texas goes a bit to far north, but its a pretty good reference.

I'm tired of seeing kerville, junction, bracketteville refered to as "south texas".

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/03/10 01:40 AM

Should have all of the measurements in about a week.
He was massive and good length so he should score very high up there.

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/03/10 03:23 AM

The more days that pass without seeing any picture in the news makes me think its not THAT big. What would you do if you shot a 44 incher? I wouldnt think an "official" measurement would be needed before I said I killed the new SCI record. 44 inches says enough.

But anyway. I am fixing to start hunting in that same area again soon. Maybe them hills are holding another. rifle

Posted By: John2

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/27/10 01:30 AM

A guy told me his buddy just shot one in Nolan County,north of Sweetwater.He was told his is # 5 in the world but that's all I know now.

Posted By: Tx Deer Hunter

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/27/10 06:16 PM

I'm with you guys a picture says a thousand words, but I am thinking that if it is a new world record he will be looking to sell the photos and an interview to the highest bidder from the outdoor magazines....

Posted By: LanceDC

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/28/10 02:16 AM

If someone will show me how to post a few pics I think I can straighten up some of what has been said.

Posted By: LanceDC

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 11/28/10 03:19 AM

Opps, wrong thread but I do need to know how to post pics.

Posted By: Texas Wildlife Management

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/07/11 11:55 PM

The new SCI World Record was shot in south Texas this season (168 1/8). I'm new to the forum, so if someone will tell me how to post a photo, I'll do it.

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 12:02 AM

Here you go.
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/754445/How_to_Post_your_Pics#Post754445

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 12:52 AM

Posted By: MikeC

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 12:58 AM

That is one big Aoudad!!!

Posted By: BMD

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 01:04 AM

Wow! That's a ram!

Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 01:04 AM

nice.. any more pics?

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 01:06 AM

I think I caught the new "Soon-to-Be" World Record on my trail camera a few weeks ago....just need the hunter!

Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 01:13 AM

How much?

Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 01:14 AM

eek2

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 01:16 AM

Were is this aoudad at? Might have a friend who would be interested since he has #9 and #10 SCI already. First post is a monster.

Posted By: NDN98

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 01:17 AM

Nice Ram.

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Wildlife Management

What county? Heck of a aoudad!

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Texas Wildlife Management

What county? Heck of a aoudad!

+1

Posted By: bu2herndog

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 02:02 AM

Man those are some massive Aoudad.

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 11:57 AM

Sorry Guys.  I have to respect my client's desire for confidentiality with the location of these world class animals.  What I can tell you is that is a large ranch in south Texas.  If you're truly interested in booking a hunt, send me a PM and I can give you more details.

Posted By: JKC

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 01:31 PM

WOW!!! rifle

Posted By: Codfish

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 04:16 PM

Do you have any pictures of some of the Aoudad killed off your place?

Posted By: texashoghunter1

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 04:21 PM

Dang, those are some big Aoudad

Posted By: gaharris

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 08:34 PM

I would love to see a 44" Aoudad!
I shot a really nice Aoudad two years ago in South Texas that measured 33" on one side and 34" on the other side.
I actually let two rams go that were bigger but they did not have the chaps like the one I shot
I can not imagine one with 44" horns

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: gaharris
I would love to see a 44" Aoudad!
I shot a really nice Aoudad two years ago in South Texas that measured 33" on one side and 34" on the other side.
I actually let two rams go that were bigger but they did not have the chaps like the one I shot
I can not imagine one with 44" horns

gaharris,

That's a hell of a ram and a BEAUTIFUL mount!! Congratulations...

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 09:12 PM

I have a guy who wants that big ram on your trail cam.
Is the ranch free range though...

Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 09:26 PM

To heck eith the ram, check out that head of hair.....is that Dee Snider?

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/08/11 10:43 PM

I have a guy who wants that big ram on your trail cam.
Is the ranch free range though...

Definitely not....if it's in south Texas. I don't believe there are any free-ranging populations of Aoudad in South Texas

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/09/11 12:57 AM

Ah bummer. He would have been a brute if it was free range.

Re: New World Record Aoudad? - 02/09/11 02:18 AM

Actually there are a few. We surveyed a portion of a 30,000 acre low-fenced ranch today in south Texas that had some on it. However, this is not the ranch that my photos are from.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum