Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for Oryx Hybrids to Hunt

Posted By: MikeBuck

Looking for Oryx Hybrids to Hunt - 09/19/10 06:46 PM

Hi to all,

In the late 90s I noticed that some breeders were mixing Oryx species, usually Gemsbok x ? else. They looked alot like bantam-weight Gemsbok. I was wondering if there any Texas game farms that will provide a hunt for one of these Oryx crosses...Thanks for any leads...Mike

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Looking for Oryx Hybrids to Hunt - 09/19/10 07:57 PM

Mike,

I just hunted a Scimitar Horned Oryx bull back in July on a ranch that does exactly what you mentioned.....crossing Scimitar Horned Oryx females with Gemsbok males. They call the offspring "Scimbok". They now have a herd of about 60 "Scimbok" which are breeding as well. They charge $3,500 for a trophy bull. Here is the website of the ranch: http://www.eightpointranch.com/

Also.....here is a picture of a "Scimbok" I took while I was at the ranch. I hope this helps.

Re: Looking for Oryx Hybrids to Hunt - 09/19/10 11:40 PM

Yes, bullseye, I'll check them out, thanks....did you mount your animal? IF so Id love to see it, please post a pic. Thanks much..Mike

Re: Looking for Oryx Hybrids to Hunt - 09/20/10 12:18 AM

My Oryx is at the taxidermist right now.....having a wall pedestal done.

Re: Looking for Oryx Hybrids to Hunt - 09/20/10 03:39 AM

Awesome....

Posted By: Mike Savoy

Re: Looking for Oryx Hybrids to Hunt - 09/20/10 01:04 PM

Mike
I dont have any hybrids right now to hunt. But, I do have cows for 1500 and some young bulls for 900.

Re: Looking for Oryx Hybrids to Hunt - 09/21/10 12:04 AM

Interesting looking animals!!!! Duck would you also sell them as breeders? Do you have a website I might look at? Mike

Posted By: Mike Savoy

Re: Looking for Oryx Hybrids to Hunt - 09/21/10 12:13 AM

Mike
We are only doing hunts at this time.

Posted By: AXA OUTFITTERS

Re: Looking for Oryx Hybrids to Hunt - 09/21/10 02:01 AM

Does any one know how the cross is made? Is the gembok the male & the scimitar the female or is it the other way around? Thank you

Re: Looking for Oryx Hybrids to Hunt - 09/21/10 03:03 AM

I was told to get a "Scimbok".....they cross a male Gemsbok with a female Scimitar. They said if you do the cross the other way.....the offspring often have crooked horns.

Re: Looking for Oryx Hybrids to Hunt - 09/21/10 03:25 AM

Too bad but no matter, I will start saving my pennies and maybe get down next year to hunt one of your little bulls.

You know I was reading just today about Federal Legislation and lawsuits aimed specifically at prohibiting hunting of American raised Scimitar Horned Oryx and Addax. Could the way to preserve exotic hunting in the US (because there is SURELY more nonsense bad science legislation to follow) be to create breeding populations of "genetically blurry" animals, such as your Scim-boks? I know that many hooved exotics have close genetic relatives: Eland and Kudus, Wildebeasts, Bronteboks and Blesbok, Oryxs and Addax, Bison bison, domestic cattle and Musk Ox. I have a good mind to go out and mix me up a Giant Pleistocene Bison sprouting 12 foot horns. Heck they'd probably legislate against that too...

Posted By: AXA OUTFITTERS

Re: Looking for Oryx Hybrids to Hunt - 09/22/10 12:08 AM

Eland Slayer, Thank you

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum