Texas Hunting Forum

Flying A Ranch in Bandera

Posted By: KWood_TSU

Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 06/07/10 02:13 AM

Hey guys, I'm an intern out here and was letting yall know about our ranch. Click on the link in my sig and find out more. We have some good prices on our animals. Come check us out, and if you have any questions, call or email.

Mods, dont know if this is in the right section, but if it's not, feel free to move it.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 06/07/10 02:15 AM

And just to give you a size estimate on our Axis, we did a helicopter capture on friday and they averaged between 30"-31". We had one that broke it's neck while being netted that went 168 1/2".

Posted By: don k

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 06/07/10 11:42 AM

Back years ago when Mr. Alkek was still alive and Emmit Schmidt was the ranch foreman we used to take hunters there. It is a beautiful place and has a lot of game. The lake by the main house really looks good since it was cleaned out.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 06/22/10 01:32 AM

Yeah, Charlie Williams owns it now, and Keith Lake is our biologist. Good people as well

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 06/24/10 10:34 PM

Beautiful ranch!

I was a kid and remember that ranch when it was still low fenced and then they high fenced it back in the 60's.

Saw plenty of huge white tail bucks there even back in the day, so there is a long line of genetics.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 06/25/10 03:37 PM

Thanks for the kind words jimbo. We have some whitetail that go from 120-170+. There is a deer for every kind of hunter.

Posted By: Hughiam

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 06/25/10 05:15 PM

I know the place. I was interested in hunting Ibex, but they had sold out at that time. Can you send me info on ibex with a bow?

Hugh

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 06/26/10 12:28 AM

You're best bet is to email Keith.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 07/18/10 09:31 PM

Hey guys, check out our biggest Red Deer on the ranch.

Posted By: rsquared

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 07/19/10 12:15 AM

nice stag...he is a brute

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 07/19/10 01:20 AM

Yeah, he was at around 15 yards for those pics. That was the first time I had seen him up close, and he is freakishly big. Pics don't do him justice. We have a really nice 4 year old too.

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 07/19/10 02:58 AM

HELL of a stag.....definitely over 400".....I'd say around 450"

Posted By: chickenpants

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 07/19/10 03:15 AM

sorry I would have to pass if he walled out in front of my stand..

Did I say pass ? I mean pass out

I was trying to count the point but once I got to 20 I just gave up that is one massive stag

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 07/19/10 03:27 AM

Last years sheds were 430l"+ . He has 15 on one side and 16 on the other.

Posted By: taz52

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 07/19/10 10:33 PM

whats the price for a hunt for that stagg

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 07/19/10 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: taz52
whats the price for a hunt for that stagg

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say over $20,000.....

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 07/19/10 11:41 PM

That stag is going for somewhere around $12,000. He has someone lined out for him though. The 4 year old is almost as impressive though. Our ranxh offers ftrophies at awesome prices. A lot of our managemenf axis our bigger and cheaper than most ranches trophies.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 07/20/10 02:42 AM

DAMMIT!!! If I had $12k in my pocket right now I'd be all over that monster. That is one HELL of a price for that quality of a stag.

Posted By: TxAg

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 07/21/10 06:30 PM

Is that Keith Lake from Buda? If so, good guy. Went to school with him.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 07/22/10 02:37 AM

Yes it is.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 08/10/10 10:36 PM

Hey guys, had a guy shoot an axis that unofficially scored 175 6/8 this morning. Had 35 and 37 inch main beams. He was probably the biggest on the ranch, but we have many more that our not as nice but their are not too shabby as well.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 08/22/10 06:54 PM

Hey guys, you better book your hunt before there's no room left.

Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 08/23/10 02:40 AM

One great stag !

Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 08/23/10 02:42 AM

One great stag !

Posted By: safdm44

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 08/27/10 07:54 PM

I tried to book a 2010 hunt for Fallow but you guys sell them to the Corporate groups.... bang !!! I have been trying to book for the last 3 yrs.... Maybe next year as Keith told me no for 2010.... frown... Here is my ram I got from Flying A Ranch... I want to return!!!!

I was driving by the ranch and saw some fallow in a field..... and YIKES! I want one bad now.... Although I am planning a hunt for fallow at this time, it will probably not be as big as the ones at Flying A.. but the price is the same violin

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 08/28/10 05:48 PM

That's a nice looking Mouflon safdm44

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 08/30/10 12:43 AM

ya'lls place off wharton dock rd?

I snapped these pics last summer, they look like the same stock as your stags

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 08/31/10 07:43 PM

That would be us. The one in the middle would be one of our 4 year olds. The one on the right is quebec that I have a picture posted of.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 09/01/10 11:33 PM

This afternoon I went to see a buddy that lives toward Medina Lake. I ]went around by Rodeo road. You all should be running dove hunts on those 2 fields that but up to it. The doves were thick on the power line that crosses the larger field.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 09/02/10 05:13 PM

We don't offer hunts and we'll be lucky if the owner let's us hunt it once. They don't want extra gun shots, and we're about to get really busy.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 09/07/10 07:35 PM

Guys, we have big aoudad rams as well out here. Got quite a few in the mid 30's. If you have any questions about hunts, email Keith.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 10/03/10 12:43 PM

Hey guys, our big red stag has been harvested. He went for 15k.

But now the important stuff. We just got through with our wounded warrior hunt on Thursday evening. We had 4 hunters, two of them took 2 blackbuck over 18" and the other two took an axis a piece that was an entry level trophy. Those axis scorer anywhere from 135-145. It was a great time and ill post a group picture when I can. The hunt was put on by houston safari club as well.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 10/04/10 02:44 AM

Any pictures of the lucky hunter with the big stag?? And final score??

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 10/13/10 07:56 PM

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 10/13/10 08:00 PM

No final score yet. Somewhere around 460 though.

Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 10/14/10 02:02 AM

What did the guy use to harvest the stag?

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 10/14/10 01:16 PM

He was after it with a bow, but he wasn't coming in. So, we had him spotted, and they got within rifle range. Used one of the guides 35 whelen(sp?) It was the last day is why the hunter finally used a rifle.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 12/16/10 02:22 AM

Well guys, had two animals officially scored for record books. The red stag went 510, putting him 2nd in sci. Had an axis that went 178 and fourth in sci. They were some big animals.

Posted By: 007007

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 12/17/10 06:12 AM

Wood,
How bout a picture of the Record book axis!!
David

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 12/17/10 01:34 PM

David, ill try and get a pic next time I'm on my cpu. I can't do it here from the droid.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 12/17/10 01:48 PM

how old was that stag do you think
he looks like he was 7 or 8 at least based on the massive head he has

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 12/17/10 04:42 PM

He was a 6 yr old.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 12/17/10 07:30 PM

good to know... thx.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 12/17/10 07:57 PM

This is the best pic I have of the Axis. That is not the hunter, just another intern.

Posted By: 007007

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 12/18/10 02:45 AM

Wood,
Very nice axis!! Looks like about 36" mains?
Thanks for the picture. I used to play golf
next door and see those huge heards of axis
in the feeding fields.
David

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 12/18/10 03:15 AM

That is a beautiful axis.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 12/18/10 03:42 AM

35" beams.

Posted By: TooLow

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 12/18/10 03:43 AM

Awesome Axis. OMG banana

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 01/11/11 11:54 PM

January Bump

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 01/12/11 12:43 AM

How did you do with the whitetail this season?

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 01/12/11 08:36 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
How did you do with the whitetail this season?

Me personally, or trophies harvested this year?

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 01/12/11 01:35 PM

The ranch, but you also. Does the ranch still own low fenced land out 173 near that Clear Springs ranch that they sold after Mr. A. passed away?

Posted By: BIG_B

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 01/12/11 03:13 PM

u have any pics of an managment size Axis? just getting into exotic's. would love to have one on the wall, but funds are tight.

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 01/12/11 04:18 PM

I'm goin to say that the low fence area on 173 is no more. We do have somewhere around a section low fenced on whartons dock.
On whitetails, we had the biggest deer from the ranch harvested. He has somewhere around 175. Had a 154 and 148 taken as well. Then we had some hill country classics harvested as well.
On mld land, we personally shot 3 120's deer for culls. They were all 4 or 5. I shot two that were 111 1 and 111 5 that were 3. Both of those bein my biggest yet to date. Then I've shot around 10 doe/spikes my self this year.
Oh yeah, had a 130's 3 yr old get poached.

Big B, we don't have very many mgmt axis. We have a few entry level trophies though. A mgmt axis will look like an entry level, but can't grow a caudle or brow tine or something of the like. If you want, email keith and get a hunt set up for next fall. Gives you time to make some money, lol. They are pretty animals though.

Posted By: cmlambin

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 01/12/11 04:46 PM

This is good stuff Kwood...sounds like your pretty knowledgeable of exotics. That red deer is pretty awesome. I was fortunate enough to take this bad boy a couple weeks ago in Rocksprings. What do you guess it scores? I measured the mains at 30 inches, but not sure if I did it right. Whatcha think?

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 01/12/11 05:28 PM

I'm not that good with axis, but he's probably somewhere around 140"s.

For everyone else, cmlambin's axis is a perfect ex as an entry level axis for us. That axis would cost $1500 out here. Please don't take wrong way cmlambin, but the reason he is entry level is because he has good brows, and weak caudles. Nonetheless, an awesome axis. Another entry level would be the exact opposite, weak brows, strong caudles. It seems that the majority of the axis are like this way or the other. When you start mixin good brows and good caudles, that's when you get to mid level and high end trophy.

Like I said cmlambin, no offense, because that is a great axis, and I would hang him on my wall as well.

Posted By: cmlambin

Re: Flying A Ranch in Bandera - 01/12/11 05:36 PM

No offense taken...I know its not the biggest one ever, but it has good mass and shape which makes it look pretty cool. It was also a really good story and the best part...it was free!! lol.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum