Texas Hunting Forum

This Weekend

Posted By: B Razorback

This Weekend - 04/02/24 04:08 PM

Anybody else going after them this weekend? We're headed to a buddies ranch south of Baird to see what we can do. Hoping they're not henned up, but if anyone in that area has a report I'm all ears! Hunted there last year and we managed to get two but it was a weird hunt. We went the 3rd weekend in April and both birds came in quite. Even weirder is that my buddies bird only had one fan feather and mine had 6. Do y'all think it's a predator problem or they're just fighting a bunch?
Posted By: RHutch

Re: This Weekend - 04/02/24 11:50 PM

I’m hunting now, NW of Sweetwater. Windy (15-25) and cool. Gobblers were not very vocal this morning.
I did manage to locate one visually that was henned up. Used the terrain to get close and crawled the last 65 yards. That was unpleasant to the knees. Shot him at 40.
Posted By: Andrewhunter08

Re: This Weekend - 04/03/24 02:35 AM

I'm going Friday and cannot wait! Good luck.

Re: This Weekend - 04/03/24 05:55 PM

I'm getting excited! Going to be 4 of my high school friends going down there. 3 of them I'll take on their first turkey hunt so I hope the birds give us a chance. Picking up 30lbs of crawfish Friday for a boil Saturday evening. Bad weekend to be a cold beer

Re: This Weekend - 04/08/24 07:26 PM

Alright well I guess that's why it's called hunting and not shooting. We got down there and found out Atmos is running a pipeline right through the center of the property so that didn't help at all. Could constantly hear heavy machinery running around. Saturday morning had two birds gobbling about 100 yards across the fence on the neighbors property but I could hear hens with them. Wind picked up into the 20's around 9 and never heard a gobble the rest of the trip. Wasn't for a lack of trying though, boots were on the ground the entire time. Crawfish boil turned out great though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum