Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey Calls & Strikers

Posted By: Alpine Hunter

Turkey Calls & Strikers - 03/08/24 10:47 PM

I guess I should start off and say I've an issue of collecting turkey calls for the last fortyish years. First it was Neil Cost box calls, then folks who apprenticed under Neil and some of the newer box call makers, I also have an original 1950's Lynch's box call and post 1960's Lynch's box after they moved their manufacturing plant. I'm close to fifty box calls, I think. Ten or so years ago I got into collecting pot calls. I have about any surface you can imagine including my two new Leopard skin jasper and African Queen jasper pot surface calls. BTW they look and sound wicked cool! All of the pots have assorted woods and polymers. Next it's been strikers and I have a bunch of them. I recently purchased two carbon shaft fiber strikers. One with bone on top, carbon fiber shaft and walrus ivory tip, the other with a wood top carbon fiber shaft and elk bone tip. I hunt primarily with my pot and box calls.

I've been playing with my twenty some odd pot calls and strikers to see what combinations work best for this season. Some of my calls play well with a number of strikers, others not so much. The walrus ivory tusk striker is beyond unreal on everyone of my pot surfaces. It's astounding on how well it plays regardless of the surface. It provides beautiful raspy yelps and purrs. The elk tip plays nicely on almost five eights of my pot surfaces. When it does play well, it produces crisp clear higher pitched yelps. I've played many of my strikers strikers on a lot of my calls and often I don't hear much of a difference. I have a few strikers that produce different sounds on the same pot surface. The bone and ivory tip strikers produce night and day different sounds.

I normally carry a box call and four pots when I hunt and a bunch of strikers. This year it will be a box, two pots, the bone and ivory strikers and couple other strikers. I would say I'm ready for turkey season.

What are your favorite pot surfaces and strikers. Always looking for something new. Here are the new Leopard skin Jasper and African Queen Jasper pot calls

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Turkey Calls & Strikers - 03/12/24 07:03 PM

I like wood on slate. Those calls look good.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Turkey Calls & Strikers - 03/13/24 06:51 PM

Bacote/slate

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum