Texas Hunting Forum

time for a new decoy

Posted By: 2flyfish4

time for a new decoy - 01/31/19 03:15 AM

what docoy or decoy setups do yall recommend?
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: time for a new decoy - 01/31/19 04:15 AM

I like DSD, but there are others that will work just as well for less money.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: time for a new decoy - 01/31/19 04:28 AM

DSD are the best looking decoys but I have killed plenty using the old foam decoys. We are trying to fool bird brains after all.

Re: time for a new decoy - 02/02/19 02:32 AM

yep i got 2 foam carrylite collapsible decoys. have killed several birds over them. things must be 20 years old. I just feel like spending some money on something new.

I might get 1 DSD hen and a hen avian X, they look pretty good and are a little cheaper.

Anyone have an Avian X?
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: time for a new decoy - 02/02/19 03:12 AM

http://www.hillmandecoys.com/id36.html

I have a jake/hen
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: time for a new decoy - 02/02/19 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jdk1985

Beautiful work, but I don't care for that shine off those decoys.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: time for a new decoy - 02/02/19 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
yep i got 2 foam carrylite collapsible decoys. have killed several birds over them. things must be 20 years old. I just feel like spending some money on something new.

I might get 1 DSD hen and a hen avian X, they look pretty good and are a little cheaper.

Anyone have an Avian X?

I have a couple hen Avian decoys and a Jake. Good decoys but heavy. It is easy to inflate them too much and have a rounded decoy that does not work well with the turkeys.
Posted By: LittleD

Re: time for a new decoy - 02/03/19 03:20 PM

I have 2 avian x hen decoys. They are a bit bulky but good looking decoys and expensive. Midway put them on sale after season 2 yrs ago and I ended up getting 2 hen decoys for almost the price of one.
Posted By: WTN

Re: time for a new decoy - 02/03/19 07:43 PM

Dakota jake and Avian-X hens

Jake $79 with free shipping.
http://www.dakotadecoy.com/store_turkey.htm
Posted By: Jkil

Re: time for a new decoy - 02/10/19 06:28 PM

I bought the Primos Gobstopper Jake/hen combo on Amazon for $40, they look pretty good. They were kind of wrinkled up from being in the box but I used a hair dryer to get them out.
Posted By: cannon88

Re: time for a new decoy - 02/11/19 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by jdk1985

Wow, very impressive. Makes me want to carve some decoys! laugh
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: time for a new decoy - 02/20/19 06:19 PM

I have ran avian-x the last few years. Have a feeding hen and laydown hen with a half strut jake. I also have a red head strutter that I built a jake fan for that has seen a lot of gobblers die over the top of it.
Posted By: TXCrossTimbers

Re: time for a new decoy - 02/25/19 09:04 PM

I like the Primos. The fold well in a vest, but retain their shape really well when you pop them back up. They are also relatively inexpensive so if they get beat up by toms, which mine have been several times, it won't break the bank to replace them.

Re: time for a new decoy - 03/03/19 01:15 AM

i ended up getting the DSD upright hen. we'll see how she does this season.
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: time for a new decoy - 03/03/19 01:26 AM

Thats a good choice. I haven't had a lot of luck with just a hen though. A Jake and hen combo is deadly.
Posted By: Huskerron

Re: time for a new decoy - 03/04/19 01:42 AM

New poster here. I hunt turkeys in Nebraska and I have hunted with foam Carrylites, blow up Cabela's decoys and about 4 years ago I switched to DSD's. I have a jake, an upright hen and a breeding hen with the Dave Smiths. The Carrylites and the blow up decoys were always a jake and two hens. Here is my take on all three types. I hunt primarily in the spring in the canyon type country in and around our sandhills. The easiest hunt is when we roost them and get set up prior to flydown. If we miss them there, we use a combination of spot and stalk and then trying to establish a set up along the route we believe they are taking (as if you can do that with turkeys). The foam type decoys Pros - Easy to carry. Light and foldable they work well for spot and stalk. Cons - I believe our turkeys are becoming smarter up here. I don't think they bite on the foam decoys like they used to. I also purchased a huge tom foam decoy. I took it once. I think it intimidated the toms because a number of them hung up so I never took it again. The blow up type of decoys - Pros - lightest of all and you could carry a whole flock in one backpack. Cons - they seemed shiny. I had 3 or 4 separate toms started to come in and all hung up, so I never took them again. I think it was the shine but who knows? DSD's - Pro incredibly life like. As a matter of fact, the first few times I hunted with them I was startled out of my customary afternoon nap by catching sight of one of them out of the corner of a half closed eyelid and got a jolt of adrenaline. Came close to shooting them on more than one occasion. Since I have been using them, I have had 3 separate coyotes come in to my calls and killed them at close range. That never happened with other decoys. Cons - they are pricey and they are heavy. I finally came up with padded shoulder straps and a bag large enough to carry all 3 decoys in. I always welcome another hunter that has DSD's so we can each carry 1/2 the load especially when we are walking up and down in the canyons.

Re: time for a new decoy - 03/13/19 03:31 AM

well didn't want to spend the money on the jake this year but you convinced me. got the DSD 3/4 struct jake coming in the mail.
Posted By: Huskerron

Re: time for a new decoy - 03/14/19 01:18 AM

I think you'll like it. I think the 3/4 strut is a good choice. As I said, they do startle me out of my naps on occasion but if they are good enough to fool the coyotes, I can't feel too bad.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum