Texas Hunting Forum

At the lease...

Posted By: Deerhunter61

At the lease... - 03/17/17 12:51 AM

My wife and I came in yesterday evening to get some work done on the stand in my new location, cleaned out the box blind, caulked it, added bracing, painted the inside and carpeted it then insulated the walls. When I came by last night I dropped the 2x4s at my stand and then pulled the cards on my cams. I check the cards last night and for three straight night there's been a really nice gobbler at my feeder. We took a break earlier and came back at around 5:30 today. When I got out of my truck and walked to the little him my stand sits on and looked at my feeder there were 3 deer and 8-10 turkeys! Wahoo and then a little while later I looked over at my other feeder and just like clock work there was the beautiful gobbler!!!! I can't wait! The only thing is I totally forgot to bring my calls to practice while I was here.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: At the lease... - 03/17/17 12:55 AM

The turkeys are there, no need to call to them until time to hunt. Too much calling early then perhaps getting busted by them can make them call shy and not want to come in. Enjoy the time at the lease and call in your turkey when it counts, like when season is open.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: At the lease... - 03/18/17 11:56 AM

where I am, not much calling at all, just wait for them to show up, bang
Posted By: Vern1

Re: At the lease... - 03/18/17 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
where I am, not much calling at all, just wait for them to show up, bang

Yes Sir colt45.
All the rain last year and good rain this Spring, there are lots of turkeys here.

To the OP:
Sounds like you are doing it right!
Posted By: rvrrat14

Re: At the lease... - 03/18/17 02:56 PM

Been seeing 18 Gobblers since late in hunting season. Still showing up to feeders.....
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: At the lease... - 03/18/17 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
The turkeys are there, no need to call to them until time to hunt. Too much calling early then perhaps getting busted by them can make them call shy and not want to come in. Enjoy the time at the lease and call in your turkey when it counts, like when season is open.

I agree with this. If you know they are there, easy part solved. You know where and when to be opening weekend, I would avoid any further intrusion until hunting season.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum