Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite shotgun

Posted By: HCHunter28

Favorite shotgun - 12/18/16 09:40 PM

I'm looking at getting a new dedicated turkey gun. I had a Mossberg 835 and currently shoot a SBE 2. I don't have the Mossberg anymore because the barrel pitted after about 10 years and I traded it out of my collection. SBE has a 28 inch barrel and I use it for other types of hunting.
What would you get? Looking at the Win sx3 turkey and mounting a fast fire to it.
Can you post ideal gun? Optics or open sites? Pump or semi? Traditional or pistol grip?
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/18/16 11:51 PM

Rem. 1100, semi-auto gold standard back in the day and still very good now.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/19/16 12:42 AM

Remington 11-87 Super Magnum, pistol grip stock, 23" rifle sight barrel. I shoot Federal Heavyweight 7's through a Trulock choke.

as mentioned above, an 1100 Magnum would make a fine weapon also.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/25/16 03:37 PM

...870..... up
Posted By: jstallard

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/26/16 02:21 PM

Love my Stoeger M3500 Turkey Semi-Auto/Pistol Grip/Open Sight
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/27/16 01:27 AM

Browning Auto 5 for me since 1965.
Remington 1100 also. Both of my guns are 2 3/4 only. Don't need anything more for Gobblers.

Prefer semi-auto's for Turkey whackin'.

Posted By: nate33

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/27/16 09:04 PM

its basically impossible to miss a turkey,it only takes one shot, so the only question is do you want to shoot a 12 ga. or a 10 ga.------ the gun is irrelevant.

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/28/16 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: nate33
its basically impossible to miss a turkey,it only takes one shot, so the only question is do you want to shoot a 12 ga. or a 10 ga.------ the gun is irrelevant.

LOL...it's easier to miss them than you may think. A nervous and/or boogered turkey is about the hardest to kill game animal out there.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/28/16 05:30 AM

I used an 835 for many years. When I switched to duck hunting I switched to an auto. I have shot plenty with my Beretta 3901 so I would stick with your SBE2 or any other reliable gun. I would stay with 12 gauge open sights as well. I like to call them in so only use a 3" vs 3.5"
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/28/16 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: scubaarchery
I used an 835 for many years. When I switched to duck hunting I switched to an auto. I have shot plenty with my Beretta 3901 so I would stick with your SBE2 or any other reliable gun. I would stay with 12 gauge open sights as well. I like to call them in so only use a 3" vs 3.5"

I saw you shoot one of those turkeys, we should have gotten 2 but a certain short guy couldn't see over the tall grass. My favorite turkey gun is a Mossberg 935 but I am going to try a Charles Daly 20 ga. this year with a Trulock choke and Federal Heavy Weight #7.
Posted By: Jbell99

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/28/16 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Booner1
Originally Posted By: scubaarchery

I saw you shoot one of those turkeys, we should have gotten 2 but a certain short guy couldn't see over the tall grass. My favorite turkey gun is a Mossberg 935 but I am going to try a Charles Daly 20 ga. this year with a Trulock choke and Federal Heavy Weight #7.

One of my favorite shotguns is a Charles daly 20 gauge I got when I was little it's so light and the perfect gun to teach people how to shoot. I've been wanting to find another one like mine.
Posted By: trash2

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/29/16 01:50 AM

870 youth 20ga with aftermarket stock

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/29/16 02:32 AM

Does anyone use the fast fire and steady pistol grip? Those are the main things I'm interested in. Turkeys roost on my place so they are really easy to call in. I think those would make it easier when hunting/ calling by myself and help me control and line the shot up. This is a want not a need. I have shot turkeys a bunch of ways-shotgun, bow, Taurus judge 410.

If you get bored try a scoot and shoot with a Taurus judge. It will add excitement to the midday spot and stalk.
Posted By: trash2

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/29/16 04:16 AM

Yes and yes^

Re: Favorite shotgun - 12/29/16 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: trash2
Yes and yes^

Is it worth it? Does it make it easier?

What's stinks is a new barrel for my SBE2 is almost as much as buying a new gun.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Favorite shotgun - 01/05/17 05:28 AM

I shoot the MB 535 with no issues, except it kicks like mule with 3.5", and yes wish I had a grip or thumb hole.
Posted By: supersampson12

Re: Favorite shotgun - 01/10/17 04:30 AM

Mossberg 930

Re: Favorite shotgun - 01/13/17 03:41 PM

Mossberg 935 with a Trulock Long Beard XR #6 choke and Winchester Long Beard XR #6 3". Total deadly combo, on paper at least. Haven't killed one yet.
Posted By: NateDogg

Re: Favorite shotgun - 01/17/17 05:06 PM

I've got a Rem 870 supermag (3.5" chamber) with just a standard rem choke in it. Never turkey hunted before, this will be my first time this spring. Any suggestions to upgrading to make my hunt easier/more effective? I've seen guys with turkey chokes etc added?
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Favorite shotgun - 01/17/17 09:05 PM

youth 870 20ga here. My gun weighs under 7 pounds. A dream to carry when chasing turkeys.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Favorite shotgun - 01/17/17 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: NateDogg
I've got a Rem 870 supermag (3.5" chamber) with just a standard rem choke in it. Never turkey hunted before, this will be my first time this spring. Any suggestions to upgrading to make my hunt easier/more effective? I've seen guys with turkey chokes etc added?

I have the same gun and it's a turkey killing SOB!!!
The only thing you need is a Remington turkey choke.
My gun likes 3.5 #4 shot up
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: Favorite shotgun - 01/18/17 04:20 AM

Mine's a bit older than most, but it's a bird killin' machine. 30" full choke. Cracked the stock once, ran out of shells and had to club a jackrabbit.

Posted By: Erny

Re: Favorite shotgun - 01/29/17 01:14 AM

I have an H&R big Tom single shot 10 gauge. I love turkey hunting with it.

Re: Favorite shotgun - 01/29/17 07:28 PM

I sent you a P.M. to help you out with choke and shot.

Re: Favorite shotgun - 01/30/17 04:18 PM

Federal Heavyweight 7's through a Trulock choke
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Favorite shotgun - 01/30/17 04:35 PM

I've been shooting a Franchi I-12 for going on 10 years now. I've lost count of how many shells I've put through it, but it is definitely over 6,000 shells. I killed my first turkey with it just using the full choke. It is an awesome shotgun.
Posted By: ronlhodges

Re: Favorite shotgun - 01/30/17 04:54 PM

I agree on the SBE2 , seems like you already have a fine SG for turkey hunt but if you just have to have a new SG for turkey hunt I might add that you check out Franchi SGs' . They have several that would foot the need . I personally own the Affinity S.A. 12-ga in wood but if I were hunting turkey or duck i'd prefer the camo in Realtree Max-5 or Realtree APG . Wouldn't hurt to at least check them out . ALl very nice guns !

http://www.franchiusa.com/affinity-semi-auto-shotgun
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum