Texas Hunting Forum

Locator calls Texas

Posted By: FLDOUG

Locator calls Texas - 04/22/14 03:59 PM

What is your favorite walking around call? Crow? Does Texas have barred Owls?
Posted By: trash2

Re: Locator calls Texas - 04/22/14 04:03 PM

Crow or owl, really doesn't matter IMO. You can slam your truck door and get a gobble alot of times.
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Locator calls Texas - 04/22/14 08:28 PM

I use an owl in the morning when trying to locate them on the roost and a crow if I'm walking around after they are off the roost.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Locator calls Texas - 04/25/14 02:05 AM

Loud hen call on the slate or with a diaphram call. They will gobble to that as well. Just make sure you are well hidden before you do it or you will be BUSTED.
Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Locator calls Texas - 04/25/14 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: UTMallard
I use an owl in the morning when trying to locate them on the roost and a crow if I'm walking around after they are off the roost.
THIS
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Locator calls Texas - 04/25/14 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 1FowlHntR
Originally Posted By: UTMallard
THIS

Same here
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Locator calls Texas - 04/25/14 01:15 PM

Sometimes slamming the door of your truck will work and others it takes something more natural like a hoot owl or a coyote howling.
Posted By: trash2

Re: Locator calls Texas - 04/25/14 05:53 PM

I don't really do the door slam, simply saying dont over think it. However a coyote howling is a great way to make them go quiet.
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Locator calls Texas - 04/25/14 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: trash2
I don't really do the door slam, simply saying dont over think it. However a coyote howling is a great way to make them go quiet.

Or just gobble gobble at them that works to up
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Locator calls Texas - 05/07/14 08:57 PM

Owl in the pre-dawn. After the sun is up good I go with the Crow or a peacock. Turkeys being turkeys, there isn't any 100% fool-proof method to get them to sound off when they don't want to.
Posted By: FLDOUG

Re: Locator calls Texas - 05/09/14 05:02 PM

I like an owl in the morning also. But sometimes the birds only gobble to a crow in the mornings here in FL. Crow and woodpecker work good in Florida during the day.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum