Texas Hunting Forum

Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical?

Posted By: Gunslinger

Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/16/14 07:51 PM

You have two turkeys positioned to where one shot can kill both. Do you:

1) Shoot once and try to kill both turkeys?
2) Wait for them to separate and shoot one turkey at a time?

Just wondering how everyone would handle this and what your opinions might be...

Thanks in advance,
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/16/14 08:11 PM

I have done it and it works....you have to know what both you and your shotgun are capable of proir to taking the shot. Go out and patter your load prior to hunting. Draw two turkey heads on paper and fire from 25 yards. You will know then.
Posted By: LittleD

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/16/14 11:29 PM

I have killed 2 in 1 shot several times with the price of ammo I am going the 2 for one route.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/16/14 11:47 PM

I have done it once. Now one turkey for the season is enough.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/16/14 11:54 PM

I have done it twice...2 birds one shot. The first time I was happy about my good fortune. The second time I was a bit disappointed in myself. Just me.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/16/14 11:59 PM

If I had two tags, absolutely would.
Posted By: trash2

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/17/14 12:18 AM

I enjoy hunting them more than killing them, ill only kill 1 per hunt. Have shot 1 before and had another gobble in the distance at the shot and called him in from same tree and shot him also. But don't do the 2 for 1 deal
Posted By: DustinWayne

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/17/14 01:30 AM

Last spring my son shot 3 in one shot. It was his first turkey kill so we were both pretty excited about it.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/17/14 02:38 AM

I too like the hunt, so for me to shoot two at a time , they would both have to be long spurred trophy birds...once in a lifetime opportunity.

Gman
Posted By: SweetTea

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/19/14 01:35 AM

Absolutely. If you're on a place where there are a million birds or you only get out once a year then roll them! It's all personal preference. Got nothing to do with ethics.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/19/14 02:02 AM

I would never set out to do it, but If I have tags to fill, I want both Turkeys, and I am confident at that moment that I can make a clean double kill with one shot, absolutely I would and have killed two birds in one shot. In fact Trying to immediately shoot the second Turkey with a second shot would be more difficult as your position would be given away, the bird would be startled, and beginning to run or fly. Your second shot thus would be more likely to end up with a poor shot placement than it would on a stationary bird.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/19/14 02:30 AM

Ive done it and intended to. I'm a big sissy when it comes to recoil so less times I gotta shoot that mule kicking 12 gauge the better.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/19/14 02:45 AM

Nothing beats shooting a turkey 10 yards in the air in full flight, its awesome.
Posted By: FLDOUG

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/19/14 04:15 PM

I have done it and have no problem with it where legal. But anymore I just like to hunt them and shoot one at a time like some others mentioned.
Posted By: Littledog

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/19/14 09:06 PM

I've done it twice and hope to have many more opportunities in the future!!
39 turkeys / 37 shots.

For you, apparently not ethical.
For me, absolutely! I never pull the trigger where there is a fair chance of wounding my target or hitting an unintended target. Two heads side by side at 30 yards equals two dead birds.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/19/14 11:08 PM

I don't see anything unethical about shooting 2 turkey's or 4 with one shot. When I was a kid I saw my uncle shoot 7 with one shot out of a roost one evening. I don't know if it was illeagal back then but we were meat hunters and the sure were tasty. I don't see what difference how many shots you take makes a difference if you stay within your leagal limit.
Posted By: gobblerslayer

Re: Shoot Two Turkeys with One Shot - Ethical? - 04/20/14 01:52 PM

I would if I had the chance. Shot happens!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum