Texas Hunting Forum

Opening Weekend Prospects for Young & Jack Counties

Posted By: Buccaneer

Opening Weekend Prospects for Young & Jack Counties - 03/25/14 02:45 PM

I went out this past weekend to my lease in Young county and was surprised and disappointed to hear no gobbling and see no turkey activity. And yes, we have a decent population.

Could it really be too early? I don't ever remember it being dead the weekend before opener. Wondering if anyone else around Young or Jack counties have been hearing any gobbling or seen strutting or other activity. confused2
Posted By: Bowtech kid

Re: Opening Weekend Prospects for Young & Jack Counties - 03/25/14 04:07 PM

Same problem in young county tried to roost some birds and no gobble's. maybe the cooler weather had somthen to do with it cuz the birds by my house r gobbling their head off yesterday

Re: Opening Weekend Prospects for Young & Jack Counties - 03/27/14 02:24 PM

I know we have more turkey hunters in Young & Jack counties on the Forum - come on fellas, let's hear it.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Opening Weekend Prospects for Young & Jack Counties - 03/28/14 01:35 PM

I will check tomorrow if I get my rear out of bed.

Re: Opening Weekend Prospects for Young & Jack Counties - 03/28/14 02:52 PM

I'll be checking tomorrow too - out in the field. Fingers crossed
Posted By: Stealthjr

Re: Opening Weekend Prospects for Young & Jack Counties - 03/29/14 07:44 PM

I'm in young county and i killed my first turkey ever today at about 8:30 this morning. We have a ton of hens, jakes, and even several gobblers here. Guess we are lucky. Im a hog hunter...but got lucky i guess with a few coming out into the field where i was hanging out. Most of the turkeys have been on our cameras between 10am and 2pm however.

Hope your luck improves!

Im going to do a full mount since its my first one...just not sure where to take it.

See ya!

Re: Opening Weekend Prospects for Young & Jack Counties - 04/01/14 02:40 PM

Congratulations on your first turkey! That's great. Be sure to post a pic of your mount once you get it back.

Re: Opening Weekend Prospects for Young & Jack Counties - 04/01/14 02:59 PM

It was a weird weekend for me in Young county. There was a bit of gobbling in the early morning, very little in the evening, and NONE during the daytime hours. No one saw any longbeards which is odd since we had so many jakes last year. I saw some jakes but they were all especially timid, even in groups of 3. Not normal for this time of year. Hoping things dial up this coming weekend.

Watch out for snakes - this kind of weather brings them out late in the morning. This one was stalking a rabbit Saturday morning. Made for a tasty lunch (the rattler, not the rabbit).

Posted By: kamolaw

Re: Opening Weekend Prospects for Young & Jack Counties - 04/02/14 12:05 PM

6 hunters Jack...county grin we took three birds, no gobbling, couldnt get em to sound off on the roost, every gobbler we saw were on hens and birds seemed to be fairly concentrated in one spot on 2k acres we hunted. was odd last year opener same place they were gobbling, and decoying great. Was tough hunting great weather but we had a great time, I was able to put my best friend on his first spring turkey, I missed a runner hit and killed a tree...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum