Texas Hunting Forum

Almost got one on Hood this morn

Posted By: SapperTitan

Almost got one on Hood this morn - 04/21/13 04:03 PM

Well first light I hit the owl call and heard a gobble in the distance so I set up on a small field. Once set up I started calling a little and I kept hearing him gobble getting closer each time. After a few min 2 hens came out of some cedar looked at my decoy and calmly walked off. So I called again and this loud thunderous gobble came from prob 20 yds behind me scared the crap out of me. So I sat patiently hoping he would emerge from the thick stuff but at this point I was between him and the decoy. Everytime I yelped he responded with a gobble but I think he realized something wasn't right b/c I was between him and decoy and he eventually left without ever showing himself to me. Either way it was an awesome experience and only my second time ever turkey hunting. I got some work to do and some lessons to be learned but eventually I will get me a long beard.
Posted By: VTR

Re: Almost got one on Hood this morn - 04/21/13 04:08 PM

Sounds good, I hunted a lot on Ft Hood in the 70's...some tuff hunting.
On the other hand there were lots of good places to fish, of course I am sure it is way different now.
Good luck to ya!!

VTR
Mike

Re: Almost got one on Hood this morn - 04/21/13 05:28 PM

There are plenty of places to fish but I have yet to find a spot that produces many bites. I guess I need a boat.
Posted By: HeidelbergJaeger

Re: Almost got one on Hood this morn - 04/21/13 08:44 PM

were you on the ground in a blind or just concealed in the brush? Do you ever get up in the trees?

I'll be in Hood in June, and I will be looking to make some new hunting buddies in the area.

Re: Almost got one on Hood this morn - 04/21/13 08:55 PM

I just found a spot and brushed it in a little. Ill be leaving for 9 months very soon.
Posted By: SweetTea

Re: Almost got one on Hood this morn - 04/21/13 11:04 PM

Get back on him sounds like you could get him to come in again.

Re: Almost got one on Hood this morn - 04/22/13 02:36 AM

I was only able to hunt till 1000. I wish I could have had more time to be patient but time was running out. Im gonna try to hit the same spot next weekend with a little better set up.
Posted By: SweetTea

Re: Almost got one on Hood this morn - 04/22/13 03:34 AM

Adda boy. Now you got a game plan. Much better chances.
Posted By: ski0617

Re: Almost got one on Hood this morn - 04/23/13 01:12 PM

good luck next time you go after them!

Re: Almost got one on Hood this morn - 04/25/13 02:25 AM

Anyone else who hunts Hood notice they haven't updated area access in a while?
Posted By: ski0617

Re: Almost got one on Hood this morn - 04/26/13 01:15 AM

like the availability of areas? i pick up a paper every thurdsay from the sportsman center that shows what days they are open. seems like all the good spots are closed every week. oh well. 2 more weekends left for me to get a damn turkey

Re: Almost got one on Hood this morn - 04/26/13 02:43 AM

You can usually check online on the FT Hood website but they haven't updated it since last thur.
Posted By: MrLucas

Re: Almost got one on Hood this morn - 05/22/13 01:36 AM

Never hunted on Hood, but did a lot of fishing back in the creeks. Did see a lot of game at night during stabilized gunnery every time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum