Texas Hunting Forum

Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla?

Posted By: Anew

Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 02/28/13 09:20 PM

I've got one out there on private land a few years ago with a 10 1/2in beard. I been thinking about trying the public land for something other than deer and hogs.
Posted By: HBone

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/01/13 04:47 AM

They are there in the creeks, that's about all I can say without being tarred and feathered.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/01/13 02:33 PM

There are turkey there, do your scouting and good luck

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/01/13 06:45 PM

How do you exactly scout for them? Should just get there early and try to find their roost? I'm trying to get into it just not to sure what to look for I've only shot one and I was deer hunting.
Posted By: SweetTea

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/02/13 12:02 AM

Start reading magazine and internet articles and watch Turkey hunting videos until you can't stand not being out there. Then walk around everywhere and look for sign. Same deal as deer.... look for tracks, food, and bedding areas ....(roost )its all trial and error man. Public land Turkey hunting is some tough stuff so don't get discouraged easy. Good luck.

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/02/13 12:57 AM

Thank you I will do that. I didn't really think about when it comes to Turkey.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/02/13 03:19 AM

Being there early and listening for them to gobble from the roost is one good way to locate them. When scouting let your eyes and binos work some for you as well. Turkey often are seen in fields during the day. When looking at tracks draw a line between the end of the outer toes and where they intersect will let you know if it is a gobbler or hen. Gobbler tracks will be larger but also that line will cross the middle toe on the first pad from the center of the track, a hen track will intersect the middle pad. Turkey droppings a gobbler will be a J in shape while a hen will be in a ball.

Good luck it can be tough hunting but is a great time to be in the woods.

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/02/13 05:08 AM

Thanks for the tips kmon1. ima do some research into it more hopefully I can make it happen. whenever season comes ill give ya an update.
Posted By: Tjack28

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/02/13 09:07 AM

Used to hear and see birds at Aquilla all the time. About 14 years ago I shot at and missed my very first turkey out there...lol. Of course that's when I was a newbie at turkey hunting but there were a lot of birds out there. I haven't hunted there in years after I started hunting the grasslands and now private land, but I'll PM you the zone I was hunting back then.
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/02/13 10:52 PM

Only went one time and i never seen so many hunters in one spot and hear so many rounds being jacked into chambers! left after 2 hrs.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/03/13 05:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Hoytman
Only went one time and i never seen so many hunters in one spot and hear so many rounds being jacked into chambers! left after 2 hrs.

Wasn't a hunter shot out there last year???
Posted By: Texas Turkey Hunter DFW

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/07/13 04:29 AM

Aquilla is a waist of your time, too many predators, hogs & feral dogs! if you hunt take your side arm and watch for tweekers! and DON'T leave anything of value in your truck! the locals will steal your stuff!

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/09/13 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Turkey Hunter DFW
Aquilla is a waist of your time, too many predators, hogs & feral dogs! if you hunt take your side arm and watch for tweekers! and DON'T leave anything of value in your truck! the locals will steal your stuff!

thanks and yeah I have a two buddys that live in walking distance from hackberry. where I hunt sometimes and another one down the road with land that connects to the core and its a long was away from access points but either way I still have them keep a watch and haven't had a prob.

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/09/13 04:38 AM

I've shot more deer out there then anything else seen a bunch of hogs on camera but never seen them in person. the only place I worry bout hogs is Navarro I've had them walk ten feet from me fishing.
Posted By: ceshiwuhao

Re: Anyboy do any turkey hunting at Aquilla? - 03/15/13 11:15 AM

I can say without being tarred and feathered.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum