Texas Hunting Forum

Easiest way to locate roost

Posted By: twindad

Easiest way to locate roost - 04/30/12 06:02 PM

What is the easiest / fastest way to locate where the birds are roosting?

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Easiest way to locate roost - 04/30/12 06:12 PM

They will usually be in valleys with large cottonwood which im not sure if you have there. but prolly the best ones around you are gona be larger live oak trees, and even hackberry and soapberry trees....and they are going to want an easy fly in/out area. like a pasture or very hollow clean bottom. If you have a place to watch them from an elevated point youll be able to see them fly up in the afternoon. Or if your just talkin bout headin out hunting leave early in the morning and find a valley like this then do a crow or owl call. realy anything loud will work and they will respond. Iv found birds roosted up more by slaming my truck door or sneezing while walking to a blind in the morning ha

Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Easiest way to locate roost - 04/30/12 10:17 PM

We were coyote calling this weekend and every time we played the "coyote challenge howl", a turkey would goggle back at us.

Posted By: JT Evans

Re: Easiest way to locate roost - 05/05/12 03:21 AM

Great horned owl call as in hoo, hoo, hoowhooooo hoo hoo.. before daylight. I have a homemade one from tubing. Very effective. Some say use a crow call in the evening and i have one but roosted a bird with it though. But the owl call will work.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Easiest way to locate roost - 05/05/12 03:50 AM

Go out early in the am, when it starts getting light listen for the birds ro gobble. A loud noise of most anykind can get a gobbler to sound off while still on the roost. truck horn, owl, donkey, crow.....

Posted By: Simp

Re: Easiest way to locate roost - 05/05/12 12:52 PM

Not public land birds! Them SOB's gobble in sign language! LMAO!

Posted By: BMD

Re: Easiest way to locate roost - 05/05/12 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Simp
rofl

Posted By: Lotto

Re: Easiest way to locate roost - 05/07/12 02:44 AM

Just don't shoot anywhere close to it...........

Posted By: Ron H

Re: Easiest way to locate roost - 05/07/12 12:35 PM

I like the comment about sign language. That explains the toms on our lease because I know they are hearing our calls!

Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Easiest way to locate roost - 05/14/12 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Simp
gives new meening ta hunting blind.. rofl

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum