Texas Hunting Forum

arkansas turkey hunt bust...

Posted By: kamolaw

arkansas turkey hunt bust... - 04/18/12 11:37 AM

Six of us hunted opening weekend at Lake Greeson. Wind blew the whole weekend hard. We hunted public land and never heard a gobble. If I hadnt seen tracks would have been hard pressed to believe a turkey was in that county. Greeson is beautiful lake and we enjoyed elk steaks off the grill; caught enough fish to feed about 12 folks on sat. Sunday the storms hit and we rode it out. Good time with friends but no turkey.

Posted By: boliverpete

Re: arkansas turkey hunt bust... - 04/18/12 01:32 PM

sounds like a blast anyway!!

Posted By: AaronM58

Re: arkansas turkey hunt bust... - 04/18/12 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: boliverpete
sounds like a blast anyway!!

x2

Posted By: LAstrutter

Re: arkansas turkey hunt bust... - 04/18/12 01:54 PM

Turkey populations in Akansas have dropped significantly in the past several years. Seasons have been shortened and bag limits lowered in many counties. Numbers have really gone down in southern Ark.

Posted By: drewporto

Re: arkansas turkey hunt bust... - 04/19/12 02:55 AM

I hunted opening weekend in North West Arkansas, talked to a few hens and that's it. Due to the low populations, AGFC made the season later this year so most of the birds were done mating and weren't talking much

Posted By: kamolaw

Re: arkansas turkey hunt bust... - 04/19/12 12:07 PM

Was a good time with friends, relaxing, not working, hunting and fishing. Would have been nice if someone would have taken a turkey but we had a great time being together sharing the outdoors. Our host, Rusty, had worked his tail off to find us birds, they just werent in the mood. He brought two boats for us to fish in and had put us in a great camping spot. Just wish our lady hunter on her first turkey hunt could have taken a bird but we are gonna try to get her on a Rio in the future. I guess the turkey numbers are down, jakes were on the do not shoot list but a three day non resident was only $100, not bad.

Posted By: LAstrutter

Re: arkansas turkey hunt bust... - 04/19/12 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: kamolaw
a three day non resident was only $100, not bad.

You can duck hunt in Arkansas as a non resident for a whole season for only $100. ( $80 for the license and $20 for the stamp ) That's a good deal, $100 to hunt turkeys for 3 days is not. States rip non residents off to turkey or deer hunt. Texas has the best deal. A full turkey season for a non resident for $126 isn't bad at all. I paid $275 for a non resident Tennessee turkey season a couple of times. God bless Texas. BTW, at least you still had a good time. That's what it's all about anyway.

Posted By: HR3

Re: arkansas turkey hunt bust... - 04/21/12 12:02 AM

darn yotes and hogs have helped to lower turkey numbers in the Natural State.........funny thing is we've seen more turkey's on our lease in the last few seasons....but not many folks in the area hunt them and we kill a lot of predators and hogs so that may be why.....

Posted By: onestar

Re: arkansas turkey hunt bust... - 04/21/12 11:34 PM

My 10 year old and I hunt SW Ar and haven'
t heard a gobble in a while. Youth season, they were still gobbling some, but not since. Very few birds it appears. Still, the season is just too late for good gobbling activity.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum