Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey Rifle Shot Placement

Posted By: Ron H

Turkey Rifle Shot Placement - 11/13/11 11:22 PM

So, you are sitting in the blind,a turkey shows up and you have only your deer rifle. Where do you aim to take the turkey and still have something left to take home?

Posted By: sec915

Re: Turkey Rifle Shot Placement - 11/13/11 11:38 PM

I have shot them with a 22-250 right at the base of the neck. DRT and no messed up meat.

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Turkey Rifle Shot Placement - 11/13/11 11:52 PM

center mast............just keep the breast meat.

Posted By: JT Evans

Re: Turkey Rifle Shot Placement - 11/14/11 12:08 AM

Aim low and the cleaning job is a snap!

Posted By: ken starling

Re: Turkey Rifle Shot Placement - 11/14/11 01:20 AM

I shoot mine in the neck, depends on how far though if its less than a 100 yards and have a good prop.No problem,its a 3-4 " target on the base of the neck

Posted By: tightlines24

Re: Turkey Rifle Shot Placement - 11/14/11 03:08 AM

I have shot about ten turkeys with a rifle (243) over the years and only messed one up very badly. Where I aim depends on how the turkey is facing and distance. Facing me, I shoot where the neck meets the body. Going away, I shoot high on the back.(this is the one shot where I actually messed up a bit of meat because I actually shot a bit low and to the right. Pretty much took out the right breast. Wish I hadn't shot.) Broad side. I aim high on the back about two inches behind wing joint. If the turkey is 75 yards or in I will shoot at the head. Missed a couple this way because they moved right as I squeezed but no harm done.
If I think I may get after turkeys I carry my shotgun but hunting with two guns can be a pain and I have actually missed a couple of chances at nice bucks because I walked up on them and had the shotgun in hand and the rifle over the shoulder. Oh well, beats the crud out of not being out there!

Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: Turkey Rifle Shot Placement - 11/14/11 04:56 AM

All the turkeys guts are low and under the breast and in between their legs. shots to the neck where there feathers meet the reddish skin and a broadside shot would be low wing right behind leg...DEAD BIRD ! I have seen to many turkey's on deer lease's shot with rifles in the breast. Just destroy's the bird and I have seen small caliber " 22..22mag..17hmr " breast shots where the turkey runs off and never found. Down load a Turkey vitals pic and learn where the good stuff is and see where to shoot one. Good luck. Iv'e been shooting turkey's for over 15yrs.

Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: Turkey Rifle Shot Placement - 11/14/11 04:57 AM

Originally Posted By: THETEXAN
All the turkeys guts are low and under the breast and in between their legs. shots to the neck where there feathers meet the reddish skin and a broadside shot would be low wing right behind leg...DEAD BIRD ! I have seen to many turkey's on deer lease's shot with rifles in the breast. Just destroy's the bird and I have seen small caliber " 22..22mag..17hmr " breast shots where the turkey runs off and never found. Down load a Turkey vitals pic and learn where the good stuff is and see where to shoot one. Good luck. Iv'e been shooting turkey's for over 15yrs.
This info I gave is for rifle shot placement....Shotgun aim at there head.

Posted By: EastTexasHag

Re: Turkey Rifle Shot Placement - 11/30/11 01:20 AM

Given the opportunity I aim for the neck this is from the side or behind. From the side, at a long distance,I aim high on the back. I just got back off a hunt and took a neck shot at 75 yards and made it. A couple years ago I estimated a 300 yard shot. Knowing the ballistics I aimed high and hit where the neck meets the body from behind. It turned out to be 332 yards. About 6 years I shot one at 400 yards from the side and hit it high on the back. I've killed several from 150-180 yards. The only meat I've messed up was one leg-----so far. My cousin asked me how I keep killing turkeys with a rifle and not messing up meat. I replied, "Bullet placement." LOL

Posted By: Ronman

Re: Turkey Rifle Shot Placement - 12/10/11 03:56 AM

If at all possible, take a broadside shot. Aim at the elbow of the wing. This is toward the back end. Compare this spot to your own area between your ribs and and pelvis. Nothing but guts and feathers. Put any expanding bullet through this area and half the time, half the guts will be out the other side. Turkey on the ground every time. Good hunting.

Ron www.twistedwillowhunts.com

Posted By: Texsun

Re: Turkey Rifle Shot Placement - 12/16/11 05:31 AM

Straight in the rear goes in and out with no mess.

Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Turkey Rifle Shot Placement - 12/16/11 08:49 PM

I have shot Turkeys with up to a 300 Win Mag...If you can catch
the bird sideways...shoot at the top of his leg..it will usually
clean him out without damaging any meat, especially the breast,
which is about all that's good on a wild bird...I hit one flying
once w/same gun directly away and higher up the butt...did the same thing...DD

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum