Texas Hunting Forum

Easter Weekend

Posted By: thedoveshooter

Easter Weekend - 04/20/11 03:49 AM

Anyone going this weekend? Any predictions on how it might be?

I haven't been since opening weekend in Menard and was covered in birds then....I just couldn't close the deal.

I'm just hoping they aren't finished yet!

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/20/11 04:13 AM

I may make it out for saturday morning, but other than that, it looks like my turkey season will be over. frown

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/20/11 04:37 AM

Don't worry about them being finished yet. Moew hens are split off from the gobblers so should be easier to close the deal

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/20/11 11:33 AM

Our birds are all over the place but not very vocal. Hard to hunt but better than sitting at home.

Posted By: Qwaak

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/20/11 12:55 PM

im going on saturday ive been skunked the last two weekends but i think I got them figured out now

Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/20/11 03:53 PM

The problem is that it is simply too dry. When the hens don't get any green stuff (keratin) in their diet, they do not cycle. The toms have been gobbling since the end of Feb. and have also stopped as they have not been rewarded with sex. I hunted last weekend and we Travis Hall and I killed every bird that we heard gobble on their own.
We were hunting with William Russell on possibly the very best turkey ranch in Texas. There is very little gobbling at the present time in Menard Co.
Sorry for the bad report,
Gary

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/21/11 12:45 AM

Well, I'm still going, even after the bad reports and my buddy backing out on me! I'm going to give them ole birds a run for their money!

Posted By: dawaba

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/21/11 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: gary roberson
The problem is that it is simply too dry. When the hens don't get any green stuff (keratin) in their diet, they do not cycle. The toms have been gobbling since the end of Feb. and have also stopped as they have not been rewarded with sex. I hunted last weekend and we Travis Hall and I killed every bird that we heard gobble on their own.
We were hunting with William Russell on possibly the very best turkey ranch in Texas. There is very little gobbling at the present time in Menard Co.
Sorry for the bad report,
Gary

Green stuff=keratin=reproductive cycling? Keratin is a protein prevalent in skin, hair, antlers, nails, etc. I don't believe it occurs in plants, but I could be mistaken. Could you expand on this? And what role does keratin play in reproductive cycling? Can you point me to a study that supports your claim?

Posted By: dawaba

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/21/11 03:00 PM

In this morning's Dallas News, Ray Sasser discussed droughty weather and how that decreases reproductive activity in turkeys, all of which makes perfect sense. But, he made no mention of keratin, nor any connection that this protein may have with reproduction.

Posted By: Hoytman

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/21/11 03:22 PM

Thedoveshooter if ya need any help let me know, only went once and got skunked!

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/21/11 04:04 PM

Maybe I am wrong with the term or spelling but "green stuff" primarily forbes and young grasses are what causes her to cycle and she ain't getting none.
We did receive a rain yesterday afternoon. Thunderheads built up just north of Junction and moved north. We got .7" south of town near the county line and an inch in town. I have heard reports of as much as 1.5" west of Menard. This rain could help trigger some decent late season hunting as the season is open until May 15th in Menard Co.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/21/11 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: gary roberson
This rain could help trigger some decent late season hunting as the season is open until May 15th in

That's what I'm hoping too! The weatherchannel said it might rain earlier in the week and I was thinking it could get things moving morr. We'll see....

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/21/11 06:06 PM

Good luck! A buddy came by the office and said that birds were more vocal this morning than they had been all year. I guess the rain gave them a new outlook on life.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/26/11 02:21 AM

No luck....way too windy. Saw/heard plenty of birds, just every tom I saw was with twice as many hens! I can't compete with what a hen can offer.

Posted By: JED

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/26/11 04:14 PM

I have a lease in Menard and went out this weekend (Easter). The hunting was actually better than opening weekend.

Re: Easter Weekend - 04/27/11 02:36 AM

Other than the wind, I'd agree. Opening day was my best chance (no wind) but I kept finding birds henned up.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum