Texas Hunting Forum

My daughter's hunt with KeithTT

Posted By: KYBLUEFAN

My daughter's hunt with KeithTT - 03/28/11 03:17 AM

First off my daughter and I want to thank Keith for offering his services. We had a blast and look forward to trying again. For all of you doubters the turkeys are there. Keith knows where they are. It takes alot of time and now expensive gas money to figure them out. My daughter did not get her one but that is hunting which I told here many times that day.

The first place we tried Keith blew an owl hoot and we had responses from what seems like 8 or so different directions. Keith wanted to get a little closer and try again and got responses and a couple of toms maybe 100 yards away were our intended targets. We walked parallel to those two and then setup in what was a good ambush spot. When Keith hit his box call a bit a mature tom gobbled from a tree we had just walked not to far from but he wasn't one that gobbled to the owl hoot. He knows what that is I'm guessing. He was hammering good at everything else. Even a train off in the distance was not going to be able to silence this boss. Each gobble I could feel my daughter shiver with excitement. I told her this could go down quick but in my head I thought he likely won't come in since he may have seen us walking in. Well I was right. He hit the ground and didn't look back.
We saw several more in various places but never could connect. One thing that is certain is my girl is hooked and the turkeys are there so we'll try and return for another go at it.

Posted By: Ed Lingenfelter

Re: My daughter's hunt with KeithTT - 03/29/11 06:01 PM

Glad she got out there.

Posted By: KeithTT

Re: My daughter's hunt with KeithTT - 03/30/11 02:11 AM

Kind word's sir and even after my 10+ year's of hunting turkey's out there I never lose that shock of nervousness as a big tom is blastin' 50 yards away. It will def. hook ya' and keep ya' hooked. Glad ya'll had fun and if my schedule allow's I will def. get ya'll back out this season some time. - Keith

Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: My daughter's hunt with KeithTT - 03/30/11 02:14 AM

Keith, thanks again for this. If I can figure out where some birds are, I plan to do the same thing next year!

Posted By: BMD

Re: My daughter's hunt with KeithTT - 03/30/11 02:14 AM

Nothing like huntin with your kids!

Posted By: KeithTT

Re: My daughter's hunt with KeithTT - 03/30/11 02:20 AM

This was also my girlfriend's first turkey hunt ever and she is standing over my shoulder right now talking about how ready she is to get back out there and get her one. 6-8 tom's going crazy off the (blind un-scouted roost) and getting to see some strutter's, lonbeard's flyin' down, and other bird's around is alway's going to turn out to be a magical morning in the wood's. It was a huge bummer to not get a bird to come in for a shot but the sight's sound's and adventure were truly memorable. Glad I could help her out and not look like a fool proving my point that there is plenty of great turkey hunting at LBJ. Ya'll stay posted The young man who I picked (Sam) couldn't go with us this weekend and his hunt will be the second weekend of season. Maybe the bird's will cooperating a little more then.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum